Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Indo and the Covid Rogues Gallery

Options
  • 11-12-2020 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

An interesting (paywall) article appeared in the Indo today running through various individuals, groups and businesses who were convicted in the court of Twitter of making a Covid tit of oneself in a public place. (this story is mor meida related than Covid, hence this forum)

There was Golfgate, RTE bog wigs, Alan Kelly on the Luas, various" influencers" who for some reason were named despite nobody with an IQ above 15 knowing who they are were also named, Berlin Bar, and being the Indo, Bobby Storey's funeral wasn't going to escape the list.

One rather glaring omission was the funeral of Gda Colm Horkan, which footage at the time showed what appeared to be hundreds of people cram shoulder to shoulder inside a local GAA stadium. We could possibly allow for this omission as here, it's Christmas, as poorly thought out as the event was the family probably don't need reminding of it right now.

More pertinent is how the list somehow omitted to mention probably the most publicly contentious play by our own rules event prior to Golfgate , that being the BLM protest outside the US Embassy. An event that took place when we were (at the time) continually heading towards the lowest numbers seen since we locked down in late March. Numbers that many believed could hit the zero mark with no major mass gatherings (mind you we all believed a lot of things back then. We by and large all still believed this thing was as much of a threat as the likes of McConkey had us believing. Thankfully sanity has prevailed since those days with most grown ups and we realise we've been had)

How has the Irish media, and society got to a stage where a group of work colleagues posing for a few brief photographs at a 20 minute gathering warrants a Garda investigation? Where a 15 second video of a barman pouring shots into the mouths of revellers at what appeared to be a half empty pub can end up shaping national policy?

How does all this happen, but 3000 work averse crustys defying government advice on 5km travel limits and gatherings in general, led by a former asylum seeker from war torn one party dictatorship *checks notes*....South Africa, avoid any sort of serious Garda or media scrutiny?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Because you're racist if you disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,493 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Really, one thing that this pandemic will be remembered for in addition to the obvious facets of this situation is how absolutely shockingly awful, biased, agenda laden and plainly shîte the media have been...

Cowards, without a hint of ambition to be impartial, to serve the Irish public with the truth via credible investigative journalism.... just awful, doesn’t suit the wokies or the movers and shakers ? Not going to get printed...

Media in this god forsaken country are not the friend of the people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Because you're racist if you disagree.

I know someone who works with Ebun Joseph (God help them!!) and in April she was berating colleagues for not protesting against George Floyd’s “murder”.

When someone said that we were in lockdown apparently she said “ racists have an excuse to do nothing now!”

She seems a tad unhinged and I still can’t believe those protests were not condemned at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Gervais08 wrote: »
    I know someone who works with Ebun Joseph (God help them!!) and in April she was berating colleagues for not protesting against George Floyd’s “murder”.

When someone said that we were in lockdown apparently she said “ racists have an excuse to do nothing now!”

She seems a tad unhinged and I still can’t believe those protests were not condemned at the time.

A tad, I heard her on Newstalk this morning claiming teachers were actively teaching racism by not teaching African history.

I'm surprised she hasn't keeled over from a heart attack brought on by stress she does get so worked up about absolutely everything as it's all racist if she's anything like how she is in interviews.

A tad, I heard her on Newstalk this morning claiming teachers were actively teaching racism by not teaching African history.

I'm surprised she hasn't keeled over from a heart attack brought on by stress she does get so worked up about absolutely everything as it's all racist if she's anything like how she is in interviews.

I used to think my friend deserved a pay rise, I think she deserves a medal!!!

• Advertisement

That's another example of the state Irish journalism is in when the likes of her is constantly on the airwaves ranting and raving.

Why would we teach African history ???

Is she going back to Nigeria demanding they teach about Wolfe Tone and the troubles ???

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

We do teach some African history - Egyptian. But those werent the right kind of Africans. Unfortunately the built and written history of sub saharan africa is somewhat thin on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I learned about the Barbary Pirates and the Sack of Baltimore in 1613 in school

We can teach about slavery at the same time which will keep the good Doctor happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

They aren't real scandals.

However you are right the media makes an exception to its own principles for BLM protests.

Political noise > social distancing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,493 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Gervais08 wrote: »
    Why would we teach African history ???

Is she going back to Nigeria demanding they teach about Wolfe Tone and the troubles ???

Ultimately having settled and grown they now want their culture and customs to have an impact and bearing on life here. If African people settling here didn’t like our school curriculum, they had a choice, not to arrive.

But they did arrive, instead of being glad of a better life, safety and the ability to learn, earn and indeed be given money, a roof over their head, financed...they want millions more of our taxpayers money to be spent on introducing new subjects...for them.. were the Irish demanding of the governments in NY, London, Toronto or wherever that they amend the school curriculum and invest millions so Irish could and would be taught... you know, hundreds of teachers trained, a syllabus devised, exams compiled, administered , marked and graded.

Does anybody recognize the problem here ? They feel NOW that by virtue of enough of them here that they want to change things to suit themselves.

History is already taught. Not black enough history ? Ok, go somewhere where black history is more prevalent in the curriculum...

^^
    Right.

Joseph and her ilk are disgusting individuals. Can you imagine for one second any of us going to live in Africa, Asia, Arabia etc and having arrived demanded they changed to suit us? Attacked the very people who've allowed us into their Country?

First of all any decent human being wouldn't have the cheek. Secondly, if they did they'd be strung up on a telegraph pole.

Advertisement