Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearms training certificate on Garda application form

Options
  • 11-12-2020 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭

So looking to get the son a gun ..now that he is 14.

My question is in the filling out of the form
    Do I or can I put my son as the applicant or am I to be the applicant? I only wish to pay one fee..
    I see the part where I can be his trainer and I’d also be signing as his guardian, just unclear can my son be a first time applicant at 14..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Scalachi

You have to apply for a full license for the gun as the 'trainer' and your son has to apply for a training license on that gun, I think the fee was half the normal for the training license and expires when yours does

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

......... just unclear can my son be a first time applicant at 14..

As said above, no. He must be 16 to be the applicant. So you will have to license the gun first, then he can apply for the training license as the applicant and also as a joint license holder. The fee for the training license is €40.

At 14 he can be licensed on a gun you are licensed on first, and only use it under your supervision. He is also not allowed to store the firearm (say he lived elsewhere) as it must always be with the "fully" licensed person.

Lastly, and while i know you are its handy for anyone reading, you must be over 18 to allow someone else to get a training license on a firearm. IOW Someone with a "full" license at 17 cannot get a 14 yr old license (on a training license) on their firearm.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement