Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump v Biden 2020,The insurrection (pt 6) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

threeball wrote: »
    Another sh1tbird who was happy to go along for the ride whilst Trump had power but now jumps ship when his power is gone. Nothing to do with protecting democracy and all to do with protecting his company.

100% protecting the company the amount of revenue they have taken from ads around the political campaigns would be eyewatering.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Most of the people who enter the Capitol Building did so based on their misplaced passion for justice for falsehoods , fed to them by Trump & Co .
    Few hardliners in their too,those front and center,
    but most who followed in were just country folk, the type with no history of violence, or destruction of property.
    All those Statues in the Hall were safe as houses, they were never going to be torn down, all the art of the wall was never going to be sprayed over, no one was going to set a fire. Getting access by breaking a door or window is extent of their damage.
    Now can you imagine if this was a Leftist Mob that had gained access, and not a Trump Mob. So much damage would have been done. Every statue toppled , every piece of art sprayed over, fires ect.
    Of course no storming of the Capitol Building can be condoned

You are getting slated for this, but I can see where you are coming from.
    As I said a lot of the people there were elderly, women of all ages, what could pass as normal people to most of us.

And yes they weren't intend on a wanton destruction like some other groups that have rioted or broke into places.

Yes they were not intend on looting or burning the place, but they were intend on disrupting proceedings in order to try get their way, to get their version of "democracy".

In other words it was bordering on a coup of sorts.

But by the looks of it there would be members of this protest group, pro Trump group, that would probably be along the lines of Michigan Militia types, Timothy McVeigh types, Waco and Ruby Ridge types.

They actually believe they are the ones fighting for democracy.

As I said earlier Trump and his apparatchiks have tapped into the massive distrust there is of federal government and the massive beliefs in all sorts of conspiracy theories.

I would bet if you sampled a lot of Trump supporters you would find the anti-vaxxers, the flat earthers, the creationists, the preppers.

These people have started off with such a low opinion of federal government that Trump drain the swamp rhethoric was specifically tailored to grab them.

And to some of these it doesn't matter what members of the GOP say they will not believe them.
    They are part of the establishment after all.

They have been living in an alternative reality for years and no one is going to change their opinion.
    At this stage if Trump said sorry lads election was fair and I lost, they would immediately claim he was brainwashed.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

https://twitter.com/JesseRodriguez/status/1347206680677916672?s=19

Too little, too late.

But it is quite something

• Registered Users Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭joseywhales

The raccoon guy just exposed me to frazzledrip for the first time. Guys, come on, these theories are clearly created by stoned teenagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,173 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Really? What is that based on?

Probably the fact the whole worlds cheers it on, as it got rid of Trump , but at the same time saying '' mail in voting, ha no chance, not for us''

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭storker

Sad, but true.

They believed it on the basis of no evidence whatsoever, relying instead on the claims of a narcissist whose response to any defeat throughout his political career has been to dismiss the vote as rigged. This makes them idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,173 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I feel some people here are trying to play down what happened yesterday because they want to believe that if the government here did something they feel was unagreeable, like enter an unpopular coalition, that "the people" should have the right to march right into the Dáil and disrupt proceedings until they "are heard".
    Thankfully the Irish population are much more civilised then that and will always use the ballot box.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Probably the fact the whole worlds cheers it on, as it got rid of Trump , but at the same time saying '' mail in voting, ha no chance, not for us''

You have had the extreme level of American mail in voting security explained to you over and over and over again. It is part of the reason the American mail service is considered sacrosanct, part of the reason the guy who stole a letter from Pelosi's desk yesterday is probably the most likely to be prosecuted, and part of the reason their postal service has its own armed police force, the Postal Police.

You cannot pretend you honestly still believe this. This is wilful dishonesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

robinph wrote: »
    The Facebook ban for trump has become permanent, finally:

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1347210379332644868

Anyone banned for the BLM riots that had been going on for months ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The Facebook ban for trump has become permanent, finally:

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1347210379332644868

only a couple of years too late but better than nothing.

storker wrote: »
    They believed it on the basis on no evidence whatsoever, relying instead on the claims of a narcissist whose response to any defeat throughout his political career has been to dismiss the vote as rigged. This makes them idiots.

If they didn't learn after 61 ****ing Court case defeats, then perhaps it is reasonable for people to write them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

walshb wrote: »
    Trump got into your head, eh?

So for hundreds years now the "greatest democracy on earth" has been getting it arse ways?

On the contrary, I'm not in the Trump camp. I think if there was a better voting system in the US, Trump would have lost by more votes.

There has long been problems with the US voting system. There are many things but I'll only touch on a couple of them.

Voter suppression is one of the main things. Some of these include making it very cumbersome for some voters to register to vote. In 2016, only 64% of Americans who were eligible to vote were actually registered. In the UK it's over 90% and in Slovakia it's 99%. An example of a State making registration to vote is Georgia's Exact Match law enacted in 2017. This held up the applications of 53,000 people, 70% of them African Americans.

Other practices include some States (Georgia for example) actively removing people from the register for such stupid reasons as not having voted in the previous 3 years. Practices to remove voters seem to disproportionately affect black, hispanic and native Americans.

That's 2 reasons for starters. I'm hungry so I'm going to get grub. Might add a few more reasons later. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,666 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Despite there being no evidence that there was actually any issues?

The rest of the world didn't get rid of Trump, anymore than they put him there. The US voters decided who they wanted to be POTUS, just as they did in 2016.

Trump, as POTUS, had a responsibility to ensure that the system was working. Had he dealt with the Pandemic a bit differently maybe, maybe not, but that was the conditions they were forced to deal with and it appears Biden was better at adapting to the realities of the election in 2020. Trump was stuck back in 2016.

Trump was, rightly, lauded for his targeting of particular vote areas in 2016, it seems it didn't bother to adapt. So the reality is the Biden played a better campaign that Trump.

Simple as.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

storker wrote: »
    They believed it on the basis on no evidence whatsoever, relying instead on the claims of a narcissist whose response to any defeat throughout his political career has been to dismiss the vote as rigged. This makes them idiots.

Claims of vote rigging by Trump go back way before he had any aspirations of running for president.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/21/us/politics/trump-apprentice-emmy.html

It is never that people don't vote for him, always that the vote was rigged against him... the vote is even rigged against him when he wins. See the 2016 presidential election where the only claims of vote fraud were from Trump because despite winning he couldn't get his head around the fact that he got less votes in the popular vote.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

sonofenoch wrote: »

Any heads of state encouraging riots and disruption of the political process due to the BLM protests? Or telling the rioters and looters that they loved them and that they were great people doing the rioting? Any heads of state claiming election fraud around the BLM protests despite zero evidence of such?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭storker

It is never that people don't vote for him, always that the vote was rigged against him... the vote is even rigged against him when he wins. See the 2016 presidential election where the only claims of vote fraud were from Trump because despite winning he couldn't get his head around the fact that he got less votes in the popular vote.

"Thus ego doth make fcukwits of us all...", as Shakespeare might have put it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

The Mayor of DC holding a press conference.
    Wants control of the DC national guard transferred from president to the mayor.
    Asked why the federal security response was lacking compared to last summers “protests”.
    Finally stated all participants should be prosecuted specifically calling out Trump for the incitement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

A DC police officer was on Newstalk a little while ago. He called this out for what it was - domestic terrorism. He also questioned why Trump didn't deploy the national guard this time round when he was so quick to do so over the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Some hours have passed since his twitter ban was lifted, and yet nothing from him yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Heard a good one on the wireless there.
    After what happened yesterday, Mexico has decided it will pay for the wall and now Canada wants one aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Some hours have passed since his twitter ban was lifted, and yet nothing from him yet.

The ban will only be lifted after 1) 12 hours have passed and 2) he deletes the tweets

Maybe he hasn't deleted them? Or he is away sulking. Not mutually exclusive I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Some people may regret decisions if they go after them under domestic terrorism rules.

Should be interesting watching for the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

The ban will only be lifted after 1) 12 hours have passed and 2) he deletes the tweets

Maybe he hasn't deleted them? Or he is away sulking. Not mutually exclusive I guess.

Tweets were removed by twitter

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

What happened in Washington DC yesterday evening - as farcical and comical as it might have looked at times - was a very serious threat to the fundamental democratic institutions the USA is built upon.

Trump clearly fomented the insurrection/coup attempt in his inflammatory speech beforehand - IMO he is guilty of sedition, treason, should be immediately removed under the 25th Amendment and tried for treason and sedition - very serious crimes in the USA, I believe.

At this stage I can see Trump trying to flee the country, set up a “government in exile” and a media platform somewhere and continue to try to whip up hatred, division and claim he is still the rightful POTUS in exile etc etc.

The Republican Party will be in meltdown, and rightly so. Getting into bed with Trump and his acolytes will be the biggest error of judgement they ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,090 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Pence, Barr, Facebook, McConnel, Graham, the WH staffers who resigned after yesterday can all take a running jump.

We all saw what was happening. They're only doing this now because they know he's done. It's not surprising, even Fox will join them even though it will take Tucker and Hannity and Pirro and Ingraham some time but they should never be let do a PR rinse on their role in this.

Call them out on it every time.

If you ask me, the biggest scumbag of them all is the doctor who certified Trump as being mentally fit for office. Several well qualified psychologists/psychiatrists, including two professors, have said there was ample evidence to diagnose Trump as having pathological narcissism.

Those fatalities in Washington are a direct result of his mental condition and the actions it has spurred him to take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

sonofenoch wrote: »

A fair few were killed by the police and others, coincidentally, that's why there is a BLM movement.
    These people were bitching because they missed out on haircuts and their man lost an election.

TBF, if you can point to anyone inciting insurrection and an attack on the democratic process who wasn't banned from Facebook (:rolleyes:) do tell?

Tweets were removed by twitter

Nah they're hidden, he's required to delete on his side.. I have a feeling they may permanently suspend him as all the other platforms are. He's bad pr for them at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

JupiterKid wrote: »
    What happened in Washington DC yesterday evening - as farcical and comical as it might have looked at times - was a very serious threat to the fundamental democratic institutions the USA is built upon.

Trump clearly fomented the insurrection/coup attempt in his inflammatory speech beforehand - IMO he is guilty of sedition, treason, should be immediately removed under the 25th Amendment and tried for treason and sedition - very serious crimes in the USA, I believe.

At this stage I can see Trump trying to flee the country, set up a “government in exile” and a media platform somewhere and continue to try to whip up hatred, division and claim he is still the rightful POTUS in exile etc etc.

The Republican Party will be in meltdown, and rightly so. Getting into bed with Trump and his acolytes will be the biggest error of judgement they ever made.

the treason charge would be the most serious for trump. not for the prison time but it would prevent him from running for president again. and not because it would prevent him from running for president. Serious because he could not run for office therefore he could not solicit donations for a presidential run. It would cut off his grift.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement