Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump v Biden 2020,The insurrection (pt 6) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,827 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

flazio wrote: »
    Making you no better than him if I'm honest

I couldn't give two sh1ts what you think of me, if I'm honest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭yagan

robinph wrote: »
    Who, what, how is that going to happen?

Unless he catches Covid19 again in the next week of course.

Trump's modus operandi is to never back down, so a few sane words today can be trampled by mad ravings tomorrow. The people he loved failed to take the senate, but if they start pledging to surround the White House he will not discourage them, even if it makes the White House his tomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

yagan wrote: »
    They were always there, many never voted before Trump.

Once Trump's gone expect lots of deradicalisation of the internet.

Who comes next will be interesting.

Dan Crenshaw and Tom Cotton are two to watch for at the next election. Broadly supported a lot of Trump's policies, and are more refined in how they deal with the media.

Because they are ex-military and loathe a lot of the Progressives in the DNC, they'd be two who would appeal to Trump supporters.

Cotton, in particular, was extremely vocal about calling in the National Guard straight away during the riots in the summer, to crack skulls and restore order.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Making you no better than him if I'm honest.

The idea makes me sick in my stomach but I believe it deserves to be considered. Because the Biden administration has 80 million Trump voters to govern for the next 4 years, hopefully more, it might be prudent to consider Biden giving Trump a pardon in order to peacefully reduce the risk of another riot.

I think Trump needs to be humiliated in a legal , legitimate fashion and the authorities should go after him hard to ruin what little reputation he has left. I don’t see the benefit of appeasing the minority Trump base within the Republican Party. They need to know that being idiots has ramifications. Following somebody who is a chronic liar is unwise.

He’s taken a never surrender attitude which his fans love, why would they respect leniency towards him? My bigger concern Is a more intelligent, insidious character seeing how vulnerable the states are to fascist ideals/influence. Forget the small base of Trump fans, absolutely hammer Trump and lock up those who stormed the capital for a savage amount of time to make the message clear , any attack on democracy will not be tolerated.

I think these events have shown how easy and quickly a free country can allow fascism to infect its nation. I’d imagine no country really believes it will go down the Hitler route until it’s too late. Appeasement to fascists doesn’t work, ask Neville chamberlain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Is there any chance that the inauguration will be behind closed doors, but televised.

Even apart from the risk of violence, having 100s of thousands of people in washinton during a global pandemic, surely isn't wise.

I would be gutted, Biden deserves a great inauguration, but how could it be done safely with pandemic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,021 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Will the republicans want Trump to run in 24? Either as their candidate or an independent?

If he isn't disqualified from running in 24, he is going to dominate their political discourse over the next 4 years.

• Freedom of speech should not equate to being able to make threats under pseudonyms on the Internet or indeed without an alias.

The writing was on the wall on Parler and Twitter for what occurred on Wednesday. It was staring them in the face.

A major national security failure. They are very very lucky it was a not a lot worse and many more were not killed. Action needs to be taken for sure to prevent this from happening again and evidently a major overhaul of law enforcement.

joe40 wrote: »
    Is there any chance that the inauguration will be behind closed doors, but televised.

Even apart from the risk of violence, having 100s of thousands of people in washinton during a global pandemic, surely isn't wise.

I would be gutted, Biden deserves a great inauguration, but how could it be done safely with pandemic.

Hasn't Biden already said it will be a lower key affair because of Covid?

80 million Trump voters.

Every time I see this statistic, it increases by five million.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I see CNN reported that poor policeman''s death 4 hours before he died.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Drumpot wrote: »
    I think Trump needs to be humiliated in a legal , legitimate fashion and the authorities should go after him hard to ruin what little reputation he has left. I don’t see the benefit of appeasing the minority Trump base within the Republican Party. They need to know that being idiots has ramifications. Following somebody who is a chronic liar is unwise.

He’s taken a never surrender attitude which his fans love, why would they respect leniency towards him? My bigger concern Is a more intelligent, insidious character seeing how vulnerable the states are to fascist ideals/influence. Forget the small base of Trump fans, absolutely hammer Trump and lock up those who stormed the capital for a savage amount of time to make the message clear , any attack on democracy will not be tolerated.

I think these events have shown how easy and quickly a free country can allow fascism to infect its nation. I’d imagine no country really believes it will go down the Hitler route until it’s too late. Appeasement to fascists doesn’t work, ask Neville chamberlain.

Yeah I agree with that. The events of this week cannot be justified in any way, and have led directly to the death of a police officer. There is no point pandering to his extremist base. I don't think they are that powerful anyway. Many of the millions who voted for Trump are just anti Biden vote, not necessarily strong pro Trump. The extent of that is unknown in all this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

yagan wrote: »
    They were always there, many never voted before Trump.

Once Trump's gone expect lots of deradicalisation of the internet.

I hope you're right!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Will the republicans want Trump to run in 24? Either as their candidate or an independent?

If he isn't disqualified from running in 24, he is going to dominate their political discourse over the next 4 years.

Ironically, Trump will then be 78 years old. His supporters (and Trump) have both been claiming that Biden was too old to run for President at 78 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

It is more likely they were informed through their face to face channels, but the family hadn't been officially notified yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Before he died or before it was officially confirmed?

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Before he died or before it was officially confirmed?

Before then end of the day Parler will be awash with reports that he was killed by CNN

• Registered Users Posts: 11,460 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

More of your CNN/Walter Mitty' theories'

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Ironically, Trump will then be 78 years old. His supporters (and Trump) have both been claiming that Biden was too old to run for President at 78 years old.

but he'll be the fittest 78 year old in history.

but genuinely, i'd have thought the Repubs would want to get Trump out of their party and not be having to pander to him for the next 4 years.

I also reckoned that is why Rubio and Cruz are pandering to the trump base. So that they can get rid of trump but keep his supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

where did you see this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭Christy42

I can't see how it possibly could happen. Most of the security agencies such as the CIA and FBI would not be pro Trump. Any hint of Trump organising this attack as a bona fide coup would have been picked up immediately and exposed. These people are too diverse anyway: Oath Keepers, Proud Boys, QAnon etc. It was stoked by Trump but the idea that he organised it is farfetched. It was a loose band of extremists who wandered around the building like schoolchildren on a day trip once they got in.
    I mean they were very openly discussing since he announced they should meet on the 6th. Illegal activity, killings etc. There is no way the Trump admin wasn't aware of it. What bugs me is that there is no way that the security forces were not aware of it either. I mean I get Internet talk does not always = real action but everyone knew a decent sized proportion of that crowd wanted to get their way via the "ammo box".

There is no way Trump didn't know what he was asking that crowd to do when he sent them marching to the capital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I want someone to ask the Chief of Capitol Police why they refused the FBI and National Guard assistance they were offered, at the cost of one of their officer's lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Trump is the ultimate Charlatan.

He ably demonstrated that if you acquisition enough urine, you can indeed float the turd.

I want someone to ask the Chief of Capitol Police why they refused the FBI and National Guard assistance they were offered, at the cost of one of their officer's lives.

somebody else posted an article that said they did ask for NG assistance and it was turned down because of bad optics.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Christy42 wrote: »
    I mean they were very openly discussing since he announced they should meet on the 6th. Illegal activity, killings etc. There is no way the Trump admin wasn't aware of it. What bugs me is that there is no way that the security forces were not aware of it either. I mean I get Internet talk does not always = real action but everyone knew a decent sized proportion of that crowd wanted to get their way via the "ammo box".

There is no way Trump didn't know what he was asking that crowd to do when he sent them marching to the capital.

He did of course. But it wasn't an organised coup by Trump. He was the hurler on the ditch egging them on. They were a disparate band of useful idiots who he dropped like a hot potato last night. To me, it looks like the security forces were just disorganised and incohesive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

somebody else posted an article that said they did ask for NG assistance and it was turned down because of bad optics.

AFAIK NG offered assistance in advance but it was turned down by Capitol police.

During the riots Capital police asked for national guard assistance and was told no. Then a few hours later the Secretary for defense (in consultation with pence McConnell and Pelosi) sent the national guard in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

where did you see this?

CNN had to retract a report that the poor man had died, after the police union said he was still on life support.

He then died a few hours later.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,460 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

CNN had to retract a report that the poor man had died, after the police union said he was still on life support.

Citation?

when did they do this?

It's a shame that Trump and his sub-human supporters caused so many deaths.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭yagan

The religion of the USA is patriotism so an officer dying will certainly ratchet up revulsion towards Trump.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement