Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump v Biden 2020,The insurrection (pt 6) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Why wouldnt there be? They have used Molotov cocktails before and so dont seem avert to explosives.

As I said already in my post "When I first saw some of the footage it seemed like the whole thing was chaos" You are sort of making my point for me that most of the footage being shown is the breaking window clips and such but not as much footage of what the rest of the majority of the protestors were doing.

the whole thing was chaos. the rest of the world think what happened was totally unacceptable but you keep on as if it was totally normal. That loyalty to trump is impressive. Dumb, but impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

As I said already in my post "When I first saw some of the footage it seemed like the whole thing was chaos" You are sort of making my point for me that most of the footage being shown is the breaking window clips and such but not as much footage of what the rest of the majority of the protestors were doing.

But I think many of us feel that those defending the violent thugs are just miss guided and if we can keep showing them the truth and make them see someone would have to be a really evil type of person knowing all the facts and still supporting them then they might come around and finally do the right thing and denounce Trump.

Doesn't look good but it's possible the cop in that clip is encouraging another cop to hurry up.

JFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Absolutely. Law breaking speech is unlikely to be protected and so anonymity can be overturned. But general anonymity (particularly for criticising the government) is well protected.
    I'm just saying I wouldn't necessarily go as far as saying what you said as it gives an absolutely false impression of the protections (or lack thereof) of anonymous / pseudonymous internet posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,313 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

$1.3 BILLION! You just love to see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,599 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

JFC.

Sure didn't tell anybody they were trespassing!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,896 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

What.Now wrote: »

You are applying logic to what is, for an awful lot of otherwise logical people, an illogical decision that they make based purely on the "team" they support.

I am. voting is a logical process.

Lets take a look at the states. You have 2 candidates. You want one of the two to be be elected so you vote for that person.

So lets say you decide to vote for Trump

Following on from that, what would make you do that?

You Like one him
    - He has helped you out in the past
    - he has helped your family out in the past
    - he is good for your community
    - he is implementing the policies for the country that you believe that should be implemented
    - He wants to **** up your neighbour that you don't like

You Dislike one candidate (Biden)
    - Because he worked under a Black president?
    - Because he's a commie?
    - Because what?

If they follow the logic they move away from voting Republican for just this election like the Dems did under Regan (Which I think was a disaster, but might not have been the start of this decrepit part of history), if not they are Trumpers.

If Republicans can't see the difference between Republicans and Trumpers than they are Trumpers

As I said, you might not really appreciate the reality of how a lot of these (otherwise apparently normal) people work - as stupid and illogical as they might seem.

There are people who will vote Republican from an "anything but democrat" angle. They don't necessarily love Trump (who was a registered Democrat at one stage!). They might have preferred to have a different Republican, but no matter what he did, they would always always always choose the one with the Republican badge over any Democrat.

That is neither an excuse nor a justification. I'm just explaining the unfortunate reality of the situation.

It would be a little bit like your buddy trying to justify some player on the team he supports doing something terrible on the pitch. He'll stick up for him because he's under the badge of that team.

namloc1980 wrote: »

Ironically she will argue that's an inflated number

https://twitter.com/ErinMcPike/status/1347385707166380033?s=20

I don't think he will, of course. Who would walk away a week into a 6 year tenure? Just because you nearly ushered in the collapse of the Republic! Pfft!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,174 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

That is neither an excuse nor a justification. I'm just explaining the unfortunate reality of the situation.

The real unfortunate reality of the situation is the vast majority of these people wanted that 2k cheque and yet they cannot understand why Mitch wont give it to them even though hes told them time and again hes against social protection.

They also support the kind of healthcare reform Bernie has proposed if it is put as having come out of a GOP mouth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Wasnt that just a statement by an anonymous Whitehouse "insiders", So as usual no proof he actually said it.

On to another point.
    As far as the protestors go and it is unfortunate there was any violence as that always needs to be condemned but at least they seemed to be mostly peaceful protests, When I first saw some of the footage it seemed like the whole thing was chaos but infact most of it was like the video below, More like an occupy protest than anything else.

If this had been a BLM/Antifa protest all those statues would have been pulled down and based on their usual MO the place would have be set on fire.

If that was a BLM protest there would be armed police/soldiers shooting live ammo before they would be allowed to storm the senate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

namloc1980 wrote: »

Ooooohhhh can see another round of "We nneds your monies plz!!!" emails coming from the "Elite Strike Force"......or has she been thrown to the wolves by Trump and on her own since she failed (in a totally out of character move by him, mind)?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,985 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

If this had been a BLM/Antifa protest all those statues would have been pulled down and based on their usual MO the place would have be set on fire.

More concern for plaster monoliths which were in no danger than fascists trying to obstruct democracy. Conservatism in a nutshell.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

joe40 wrote: »
    If that was a BLM protest there would be armed police/soldiers shooting live ammo before they would be allowed to storm the senate.

they wouldn't have reached the bottom of the steps.

Such courage! Such swift accountability!

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1347529127822286849?s=20

I ****ing can't understand. Help me understand. Why does the cabinet need a week. Why does Congress think impeachment would be more successful with just 6 or 7 days left in the term?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Wasnt that just a statement by an anonymous Whitehouse "insiders", So as usual no proof he actually said it.

On to another point.
    As far as the protestors go and it is unfortunate there was any violence as that always needs to be condemned but at least they seemed to be mostly peaceful protests, When I first saw some of the footage it seemed like the whole thing was chaos but infact most of it was like the video below, More like an occupy protest than anything else.

BUTBUTBUTBUT BLM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fixed your post for you.

Its not what they did, but the fact they were allowed in in the first place is the problem.

I also dont remember the Occupy movement carrying zip-ties, firearms and pipe bombs in with them! And lets not ignore them pulling down the American flag to raise a Trump 2020 one in its place.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Overheal wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/ErinMcPike/status/1347385707166380033?s=20

I don't think he will, of course. Who would walk away a week into a 6 year tenure? Just because you nearly ushered in the collapse of the Republic! Pfft!

Well - He's two years in , was elected in 2018

The previous Senator from Missouri , John Danforth, who championed him in that Election is now calling it "the biggest mistake of my life"

Methinks the "rising star" of Mr Hawley is no longer rising.

And his deal for his new book "The Tyranny of Big Tech" has been cancelled as well

As an aside , what is it with all these US politicians writing books all the time??

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I ****ing can't understand. Help me understand. Why does the cabinet need a week. Why does Congress think impeachment would be more successful with just 6 or 7 days left in the term?

Agreed - I'd give them a few days to write them up to ensure they're any loopholes/errors , But Monday at the latest for a vote surely??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It won't be successful as there is no time, but it just needs to start the process and Trump leaves as a twice lost the popular vote, twice impeached, one term president who isn't invited to the inauguration of his successor.

The Republican party just have to figure out what is the better look for them in 3 years times when campaigning for 2024 starts and if having Pence as their last president and having done the bare minimum to deal with Trump, who by then is likely to be locked up, or if they want Trump to be seen as not dealt with in the slightest by the party.

Nothing to lose for the dems, nothing to win for the GoP.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,826 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The amount which dominion are suing Sydney Powell for

*brings little finger to the side of my mouth in a dramatic fashion*

1.3 BILLION DOLLARS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

They should wait for him to vacate office and then commence criminal proceedings.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

The police beat the crap out out members of the press just standing in the street during BLM protests

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Why wouldnt there be? They have used Molotov cocktails before and so dont seem avert to explosives.

As the terrorists in the Capitol had much more than just molotovs, I'm sure you can agree that they're a much bigger threat than BLM?

VinLieger wrote: »
    The real unfortunate reality of the situation is the vast majority of these people wanted that 2k cheque and yet they cannot understand why Mitch wont give it to them even though hes told them time and again hes against social protection.

They also support the kind of healthcare reform Bernie has proposed if it is put as having come out of a GOP mouth.

Yep. That's all it is. They don't care about the details. The exact same details are either 100% correct absolute virtue or else the embodiment of evil depending on the badge.

A Democrat suggesting cheques for citizens is the embodiment of communism and state intervention and control and giving a free handout to wasters, disincentivizing people against working hard.

A Republican suggesting it is a genius idea that is directly stimulating the free capital economy and empowering hard working people to keep contributing to the economy and incentivizing people to work hard and contribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I would just like to point out once again that the unit you saw guarding everything in DC five troops deep during anti police brutality protests this summer - but was nowhere to be found during a coup attempt - and the one you've seen in every compare and contrast montage about the disparity of response was actually the dead attacker's former one.

https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F210106172554-03-blm-george-floyd-protests-file.jpg

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Agreed - I'd give them a few days to write them up to ensure they're any loopholes/errors , But Monday at the latest for a vote surely??
    The initial papers have been drafted since 7 January AM (EST), Pelosi and others correctly delayed them to be reviewed by ranking members and lawyers to present the best case. There is no good reason why those should not be ready to be filed by Friday morning unless they're going to charge him with more than two or three counts.

Waiting on the cabinet to invoke the 25th Amendment is a joke.

robinph wrote: »
    It won't be successful as there is no time, but it just needs to start the process and Trump leaves as a twice lost the popular vote, twice impeached, one term president who isn't invited to the inauguration of his successor.

The Republican party just have to figure out what is the better look for them in 3 years times when campaigning for 2024 starts and if having Pence as their last president and having done the bare minimum to deal with Trump, who by then is likely to be locked up, or if they want Trump to be seen as not dealt with in the slightest by the party.

Nothing to lose for the dems, nothing to win for the GoP.
    There technically is time. The Democrats need to be careful but so do the Republicans - it's about gauging whether GOP leaders are willing/ready to throw Trump under the bus.

For DNC it's a game of chicken - if they bring impeachment proceedings and Republicans agree that a former President can be tried for impeachment it opens a potential can of worms for everyone including Democrats.

I agree though, if any later than Monday there's no time for a trial and it's pure optics (which I don't necessarily disagree with).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,602 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

The initial papers have been drafted since 7 January AM (EST), Pelosi and others correctly delayed them to be reviewed by ranking members and lawyers to present the best case. There is no good reason why those should not be ready to be filed by Friday morning unless they're going to charge him with more than two or three counts.

Waiting on the cabinet to invoke the 25th Amendment is a joke.

I think it's a good strategy, Dems know the 25th is never going to be invoked but now they can wait a few days and then go on national TV and claim they gave the Republicans time to do the right thing, they refused and continued to back a clearly unstable man so they have now been forced to start impeachment proceedings.

They come out of this looking like they tried everything they could to get an unhinged man out of the WH but they failed because the Republicans backed thier man to the bitter end.

The attack ads for the primaries and the the next election are all going to be focused on this. The next Republican presidential/VP nominees will have be squeaky clean and have zero ties to Trumps tenure or else the Dems will use that to attack whoever it is.

As the terrorists in the Capitol had much more than just molotovs, I'm sure you can agree that they're a much bigger threat than BLM?

Here is the unfortunate thing.

There are old clips of commentators saying that, for the BLM, people are forced to protest, perhaps even violently, because they are fighting a system that is against them and that is the only way they can push back to try to change it.

The nutjobs that storm the Capitol, or at least those that travelled to DC in protest, will feel and claim the same thing.

If you establish the principle that a group of people who feel aggrieved and genuinely feel that they are not represented or are being oppressed somehow, are allowed to protest, even violently, then you have set a precedent. You cannot decided unilaterally who can and cannot feel aggrieved.

I think the scenes we saw storming the Capitol were shocking. I'm simply making the point that any commentator who justified any other riot on the basis that people felt aggrieved, cannot really come down heavily on them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Maryland Governor confirms requests for NG to be deployed where repeatedly denied by the Federal Government. Didn't Trump claim he deployed them immediately.

https://twitter.com/RobertMackey/status/1347374738369175553

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement