Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump v Biden 2020,The insurrection (pt 6) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,747 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

On to another point.
    As far as the protestors go and it is unfortunate there was any violence as that always needs to be condemned but at least they seemed to be mostly peaceful protests, When I first saw some of the footage it seemed like the whole thing was chaos but infact most of it was like the video below, More like an occupy protest than anything else.

If this had been a BLM/Antifa protest all those statues would have been pulled down and based on their usual MO the place would have be set on fire.

The vassssssssssstttt majority of BLM protests and protestors were entirely peaceful but it didn't stop you and the other Trump supporters on here labelling them as entirely violent.

5 people died in the couple of hours this 'peaceful protest' lasted bear in mind and there are shots of some of the rioters having multiple sets of restraints with them and that they apparently were calling for Mike Pence as they went through the halls. Not to mention the discovery of a IED's in the area which thankfully failed to operate.

So, now you might say, 'Well both sides are at it.' so let me stop you before you do.

One side was calling for the fair treatment of all people at the hands of people specifically employed to keep people safe. The other was seeking to prevent the actions of elected officials in certifying the results of a democratic election despite over 70 court applications about the election being thrown out, many by Trump appointed judges.

So no, these groups or events are in no way comparable to each other. And it goes further, all last summer we saw footage of preemptive attacks by police and by excessively violent behaviour by them on peaceful protestors while we listened to the President implore Governors to use the National Guard and to be forceful on these protestors and then on Wednesday heard that the Defense Dept headed by his newly appointed acting secretary rejected a call for the National Guard to be deployed to defend against the attack.

You guys lost your sh*t over people kneeling for during the anthem and pulling down statues of people who had fought against the USA but are seemingly ok with insurrectionists removing the American Flag from the capitol building and replacing it with the flag of reality TV personality and a failed business man while others walked with the flag of the Confederacy in the halls of the Capitol.

Trump, his family, his friends in the media, his donors, his supporters (including those on discussion forums thousands of miles away) cannot hide from the fact that he has been the worst President of the United States who is also a racist, imcompetent criminal.

History will ultimately look back on the 2 months after the US Presidential election in 2020 as being the time when the GOP had to face what it had become and take a step back or the time when the sitting President emboldened domestic terrorists which ultimately led to an increase in violence and conflict against the legislators of the country. Time will tell, and I don't need you to tell me which outcome you hope will emerge.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,599 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Agreed - I'd give them a few days to write them up to ensure they're any loopholes/errors , But Monday at the latest for a vote surely??

They're already written up! That's what's so frustrating about this! I've already seen one of the articles!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The initial papers have been drafted since 7 January AM (EST), Pelosi and others correctly delayed them to be reviewed by ranking members and lawyers to present the best case. There is no good reason why those should not be ready to be filed by Friday morning unless they're going to charge him with more than two or three counts.

Waiting on the cabinet to invoke the 25th Amendment is a joke.

But it makes no difference if they wait until the 19th, impeachment still isn't going to remove Trump from office. He'll still be impeached though.

Meanwhile more cabinet members get to show themselves for the cowards they are in resigning rather than doing the 25th amendment thing and so show how spineless they are. Pence has a chance to recover some honour for the GoP and the dems are suggesting that it might be a good idea for him, but they have no need to force things. They can just sit and wait it out.

Would be safest if Trump is removed, but the dems don't have that option. It's only the GoP who can do that in the time left.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Maryland Governor confirms requests for NG to be deployed where repeatedly denied by the Federal Government. Didn't Trump claim he deployed them immediately.

https://twitter.com/RobertMackey/status/1347374738369175553

He did claim that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I think it's a good strategy, Dems know the 25th is never going to be invoked but now they can wait a few days and then go on national TV and claim they gave the Republicans time to do the right thing, they refused and continued to back a clearly unstable man so they have now been forced to start impeachment proceedings.

They come out of this looking like they tried everything they could to get an unhinged man out of the WH but they failed because the Republicans backed thier man to the bitter end.

The attack ads for the primaries and the the next election are all going to be focused on this. The next Republican presidential/VP nominees will have be squeaky clean and have zero ties to Trumps tenure or else the Dems will use that to attack whoever it is.
    Eh. I can see your point in terms of 2022, but 2024 is too far off IMO in the political timeline for this to really be useful ammunition against moderate Republicans that they could swing (with the exception of Cruz and probably Graham if they run).

• Advertisement

Adam Schiff (D-CA) Has published what is essentially his diary of what happened wednesday.

ErN3Q_rUcAkEJ2_?format=png&name=large
    ErN3Q_sVcAIkP7m?format=png&name=large
    ErN3Q_qU0AYGhHl?format=png&name=large
    ErN3Q_0VkAE6e9e?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Overheal wrote: »
    He did claim that.

I love that it was such an outright lie. We watched for what, two hours or so before the NG actually showed up. Even Fox news asked where they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,896 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I would just like to point out once again that the unit you saw guarding everything in DC five troops deep during anti police brutality protests this summer - but was nowhere to be found during a coup attempt - and the one you've seen in every compare and contrast montage about the disparity of response was actually the dead attacker's former one.

https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F210106172554-03-blm-george-floyd-protests-file.jpg

I have seen this photo a few times used as proof of X/Y/Z and I think it is a lazy tactic.

At the time, there had been many violent scenes on the streets of many different cities across the US.

Had it been that these fellas on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial 2 hours after George Floyd way shot then it would be a good comparison.

Similarly, if Trumpers organise another protest on the National Mall over the coming days, you can be sure there would be heavy police, and other, presence there too.

robinph wrote: »
    But it makes no difference if they wait until the 19th, impeachment still isn't going to remove Trump from office. He'll still be impeached though.

Meanwhile more cabinet members get to show themselves for the cowards they are in resigning rather than doing the 25th amendment thing and so show how spineless they are. Pence has a chance to recover some honour for the GoP and the dems are suggesting that it might be a good idea for him, but they have no need to force things. They can just sit and wait it out.

Would be safest if Trump is removed, but the dems don't have that option. It's only the GoP who can do that in the time left.
    Respectfully disagree... I think it's way more important for the charges to be laid out on live television and the case to be made to the nation. IMHO from a political damage perspective that is way worse for the GOP than simply an impeachment at the buzzer.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Maryland Governor confirms requests for NG to be deployed where repeatedly denied by the Federal Government. Didn't Trump claim he deployed them immediately.
    Devil could be in the detail here. D.C. has its own National Guard unit. Maryland is a different jurisdiction, so likely have to get approval at a federal level to deploy their National Guard to D.C..
    Nevertheless, Trump was still lying when he said he deployed the NG to DC. Because we know Pence and the Defence secretary did it without Trump.

So there are still questions as to why that had to happen, and why Maryland was denied permission to get involved seeing as they're no more than 5km away.

• Advertisement

I have seen this photo a few times used as proof of X/Y/Z and I think it is a lazy tactic.

At the time, there had been many violent scenes on the streets of many different cities across the US.

Had it been that these fellas on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial 2 hours after George Floyd way shot then it would be a good comparison.

Similarly, if Trumpers organise another protest on the National Mall over the coming days, you can be sure there would be heavy police, and other, presence there too.
    Hang on hang on. Let's not forget that a lot of those violent clashes were due to so-called "proud boys" showing up to peaceful BLM protests to counter-protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

It's not like Wednesday's event was a spontaneous gathering. They knew there was going to be a congregation of amped up Qanon heads on the street. They had plenty of time to organise for potential trouble.

Hang on hang on. Let's not forget that a lot of those violent clashes were due to so-called "proud boys" showing up to peaceful BLM protests to counter-protest.

Also a crap load were started by just all out anarchists (of all races) who just wanted to stir things up and cause havoc. They were caught on film repeatedly at each protest.

It just doesn't suit the narrative at all though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

Protesters who were looking for Pence were lucky they didn't find him ... Secret service protection detail wouldn't have hesitated to shoot anyone posing a threat

seamus wrote: »
    Devil could be in the detail here. D.C. has its own National Guard unit. Maryland is a different jurisdiction, so likely have to get approval at a federal level to deploy their National Guard to D.C..
    Nevertheless, Trump was still lying when he said he deployed the NG to DC. Because we know Pence and the Defence secretary did it without Trump.

So there are still questions as to why that had to happen, and why Maryland was denied permission to get involved seeing as they're no more than 5km away.

It could be like every US cop movie ever made where the Federal Agents turn up and the local sheriff gets the hump and tries to tell them to piss off because it is his jurisdiction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭maebee

Apologies if this has been posted before. I just saw it for the first time. Unfrigginbelievable. I'm lost for words:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LO01jb9x8I&ab_channel=OnDemandNews

• Registered Users Posts: 25,602 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

And he's back, talking out of both sides of his slimy mouth

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1347555316863553542?s=19

For weeks now, literally weeks, Trump has been calling for and promoting their Million Maga March (wasn't a million people at all). Videos went out of thousands of Trump supporters descending on D.C., many of whom were armed and proudly so.

Yet for some reason, all that was there at Capitol Hill, even after Trump told them to march on it, was a handful of cops.

More police have been sent there to keep back protests about healthcare.

It's not like Wednesday's event was a spontaneous gathering. They knew there was going to be a congregation of amped up Qanon heads on the street. They had plenty of time to organise for potential trouble.

I for one was hugely shocked to see the Capitol breached. Did anyone on here expect that?

A bit of trouble, a few scuffles between protestors and counter-protestors. Protestors harassing random innocent civilians. Maybe the next level of some cars being burned or some stores being attacked.

Maybe others did predict the direct attack of the Capitol or other Federal buildings and they can point us to their posts on the thread doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭briany

I agree. Helen Keller herself would have been able to sense what was in danger of happening, so there's no excuse for those who didn't share her disabilities. When you think of all the possibilities of what could happen if a hoard of angry Trump supporters descend on Washington DC on the day to finally, unquestionably seal Biden's election as POTUS, no right-thinking individual could fail to see that there is a serious danger of them attempting to disrupt the democratic process, and that's exactly what happened.

• Sonics2k wrote: »

https://twitter.com/RobertMackey/status/1347374738369175553

Indicates strongly that once things started Trump was willing to wait and see which way the wind blew. You'd have to wonder if they siezed a few senators and got it to hostage territory, would he have stuck with it.

I think he didnt expect this to happen as he is simply too dumb to realise the weight of his words but just went with it for a while. It was probably aides begging him that got the approval for the National Guard to go in.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

And he's back, talking out of both sides of his slimy mouth

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1347555316863553542?s=19

Wont be long I'd say until the little goblin in his brain called narcissism has him back to previous form

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

maebee wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been posted before. I just saw it for the first time. Unfrigginbelievable. I'm lost for words:-

Don't do drugs kids. Don Jrs missus always looks like a pound shop Melania.

seamus wrote: »

Plus if Trump had given such a "badass" order, he would have boasted about it on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,602 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

maebee wrote: »

Wow! That's absolutely disgraceful!

I for one was hugely shocked to see the Capitol breached. Did anyone on here expect that?

A bit of trouble, a few scuffles between protestors and counter-protestors. Protestors harassing random innocent civilians. Maybe the next level of some cars being burned or some stores being attacked.

Maybe others did predict the direct attack of the Capitol or other Federal buildings and they can point us to their posts on the thread doing so.

I even thought they were just going to blow foghorns and scream through the windows and die mad pounding sand.

I as an American thought naively that if you tried to violently smash into a joint session of congress that you'd be shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Funny how the FBI had to post wanted ads for these mobsters. Doesn't look like many of them were arrested outright. They were just let go of, and the sessions reopened early in the evening. With all these people inside the building up to then, how secure was the Capitol at that point?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

White House went into lockdown first day of BLM protests in DC, May 29th.

• Advertisement

What has that got to do with the point?

There was fairly serious trouble for a few days/night in lots of cities around the US during those protests which were linked to the same underlying issues. Nowhere did I mention who caused the trouble or who was to blame. Just that there was trouble, and then there was a publicised movement to protest the same issues in DC.

If Trumpers have a call to protest on the Mall tomorrow, you can bet that there will be armed security and police everywhere.

If climate change activists want to bring a protest to DC next week, I wouldn't expect the National Guard to be in rows on the steps of the Lincoln memorial.

But if there are climate change riots in Chicago and Detroit and Houston and Atlanta every night over the weekend, and then there is a call to protest on the Mall on Wednesday for the same issue, I would expect to see a large presence.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement