Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump v Biden 2020,The insurrection (pt 6) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,313 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

is_that_so wrote: »
    Biden's mood on it seems to be just to ignore him and let him go out to pasture. A pardon would be absolutely absurd especially after the last few days.

Nixon was disgraced and never reared his head again. Trump is emboldened and will continue to rile up his base for years to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I hear the police officer who died had earlier been beaten with a fire extinguisher.
    I hope who ever decided to refuse support from the Feds knowing these people were marching, Trump for inciting and of course the participants themselves are all held to account.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,048 ✭✭✭✭briany

astrofool wrote: »
    Biden will just ignore the orange fart that lingered in the white house for 4 years.

Ignoring problems aren't really a good way to deal with them, though, and problems don't usually fix themselves.

So Bidens presidency will be about one thing, taking down Trump , not a good luck. Ford pardoned Nixon to draw a line under it, and to move on.

Thing is Trump has gone far further than Nixon ever went. To do nothing or to pardon it would ultimately serve to show a sitting President can do anything without negative consequences. I would say it's less so about Biden making his presidency about taking down Trump and rather letting the DOJ to do their job while a functioning government is restored. Nothing to prevent the government from doing multiple things at any given time btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

For one President to go after another is not a good look. If Biden claims to be a President for all of America then he can't go after the 75m people who support Trump, needs to pardon Trump, the same way Nixon was pardoned . If he doesn't then he'll never heal the nation. One man v the nation. Put country before Trump, and bring peace with a pardon.

Here was me thinking the maga boys and girls had the balls of the nation, now it seems when they lose a fight the "pussies" need to rub the bellies and backs of the losers to heal their broken hearts. Give me a break!

I'd advocate moving if trump was quiet since the election, he hasn't.. he took the court route and lost at nearly every turn he took and as final push, got his mob together and riled up the idiots into storming the capitol building with intent to capture politicians who were against them..

Healing the nation is trump standing trial, lay down the laws of the constitution and he should bare full responsibility for his sick actions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

In other words you don't have an answer or have maybe finally realised the point that I was making and know that you were incorrect to jump on the outrage of a photo of the National Guard on the Lincoln Monument as being relevant to what happened on the Capitol and make it about the discrimination against blacks or whatever

It's not.
    Anyone paying attention saw it coming, I pretty sure it was mentioned multiple times in this thread even.

The pentagon were aware and offered assistance... the police said no. Then after having let the terrorists through, police again refused assistance.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.yahoo.com/amphtml/capitol-police-rejected-offers-federal-214932103.html
    WASHINGTON (AP) — Three days before supporters of President Donald Trump rioted at the Capitol, the Pentagon asked the U.S Capitol Police if it needed National Guard manpower. And as the mob descended on the building Wednesday, Justice Department leaders reached out to offer up FBI agents. The police turned them down both times, according to senior defense officials and two people familiar with the matter.

The House has said they will be launching an investigation into this, and the chief of that police force has announced he is resigning as of Jan 16th. Rank and file have also said they are outraged about what happened due to 'leadership'.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1253389
    Sund's resignation will go into effect on Jan. 16, just a few days shy of President-Elect Joe Biden's inauguration, a police spokeswoman said Thursday. The announcement comes shortly after the head of the department's union called for a "change at the top."

Officers are "frustrated and demoralized" with how a lack of leadership undermined the response to the mob, according to a statement from Gus Papathanasiou, the union chairman. Papathanasiou laid the blame on a failure and planning while praising officers for their work.

On top of that, Maryland Governor has come out and said they were repeatedly denied assistance from the NG and it appears they only got it in the end because people broke protocol and worked through unofficial channels:

https://twitter.com/RobertMackey/status/1347374738369175553

The more and more comes out on this, the shadier it seems, and calls into question why Trump was so quick to get out thebliebthatnhe "immediately sent the NG" as soon as things got violent, when all sides say he had nothing to do with releasing them at all and if anything appears to have tried to make it so adequate support could not get there in time.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,747 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Given the way she has hit back at Cruz, Hawley and now Graham, completely appropriately in all cases, I really hope AOC has access to and is utilising all the appropriate security measures.
    She should be one of the leading forces in the Democratic Party for the next 30+ years and will need to be kept safe to do so.

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1347585309547110400

• Registered Users Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

briany wrote: »
    Trump's not going out to pasture, though. Unless he's stopped, he's going to continue riling up his supporters. Sure, kick him off Twitter, but he can just develop his own app, or supporters can develop one for him.

His base becomes narrower as time goes on, you'd wonder how long the trump name on hotels will last, they seem to be doing their best to burn as many bridges as possible on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,747 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

For one President to go after another is not a good look. If Biden claims to be a President for all of America then he can't go after the 75m people who support Trump, needs to pardon Trump, the same way Nixon was pardoned . If he doesn't then he'll never heal the nation. One man v the nation. Put country before Trump, and bring peace with a pardon.

So the people who purported to be the Party of Law and Order have no interest in the concept of responsibility for criminal acts?

Absolute delusional nonsense. Trump made his bed, he should be made lie in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

briany wrote: »
    Ignoring problems aren't really a good way to deal with them, though, and problems don't usually fix themselves.

trump needs applause to exist, deny him that, and like a fire without oxygen, he'll burn himself out. Nobody uses parler, getting him off mainstream social media is the first part of reducing him to a non entity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rosser44

Anyone paying attention saw it coming, I pretty sure it was mentioned multiple times in this thread even.

The pentagon were aware and offered assistance... the police said no. Then after having let the terrorists through, police again refused assistance.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.yahoo.com/amphtml/capitol-police-rejected-offers-federal-214932103.html

The House has said they will be launching an investigation into this, and the chief of that police force has announced he is resigning as of Jan 16th. Rank and file have also said they are outraged about what happened due to 'leadership'.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1253389

On top of that, Maryland Governor has come out and said they were repeatedly denied assistance from the NG and it appears they only got it in the end because people broke protocol and worked through unofficial channels:

https://twitter.com/RobertMackey/status/1347374738369175553

The more and more comes out on this, the shadier it seems, and calls into question why Trump was so quick to get out thebliebthatnhe "immediately sent the NG" as soon as things got violent, when all sides say he had nothing to do with releasing them at all and if anything appears to have tried to make it so adequate support could not get there in time.

Thoughts?

It'll be interesting to see what role the placing of trump loyalists into positions within the pentagon had to play with the delaying of the roll out of the National Guard

• Registered Users Posts: 83,603 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

So Bidens presidency will be about one thing, taking down Trump , not a good luck. Ford pardoned Nixon to draw a line under it, and to move on.

IDGAF personally. Hillary has been criminally investigated for 6-8 ****ing years. It will be the DOJ and the AG or their special counsel. The President won't have anything to do with it. Trump left many people with the mistaken acceptance that a POTUS' job is to go after their political enemies personally and 'lock them up.' The DOJ will do it, as they are normally supposed to, without passion or prejudice, and only an even execution of the law. Biden will be recused from the matter, but we must have accountability.

• Given the way she has hit back at Cruz, Hawley and now Graham, completely appropriately in all cases, I really hope AOC has access to and is utilising all the appropriate security measures.
    She should be one of the leading forces in the Democratic Party for the next 30+ years and will need to be kept safe to do so.

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1347585309547110400

Watching her for the past few years, I'd put money on AOC being the first female President. She is closer to the Trump supporters in societal status than Trump himself.

Older Republican are obviously very threatened by her as they keep reverting back to her being a barwoman from NY.

Very capable and one to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Watching her for the past few years, I'd put money on AOC being the first female President. She is closer to the Trump supporters in societal status than Trump himself.

Older Republican are obviously very threatened by her as they keep reverting back to her being a barwoman from NY.

She has as many enemies in the DNC as in the GOP.

Pelosi and older Democrats hate her.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

75 million people don't support him though. Gone over this. Not all of those votes were a pro Trump vote, they were a deeply ingrained not for moving staunch republican vote. Same as we see here with hardcore FF, FG voters.

Same with biden. not all 81 of them are pro Biden. They're just anti Trump.

There's an awfully huge contingent of Republicans who will breathe a sigh of relief if and or when he's removed and they can maybe make a clean break. He holds absolutely none of the traditional conservative values of the hardline republicans, he just spouts nonsense rhetoric that a certain type of demograph eats up.

The likes of Cruz and Hawley have zero values, and would just do whatever they think will get them elected such is the quickness in the about turn.

America was a very different place then. Slowly emerging from the wounds of Vietnam, having still not recovered from Korea nd WW2 and still trying to spin many other geopolitical plates.

If they go after Trump, they will provoke and cause a lot of chaos, however, if they let it lie, they will be emboldened and someone far worse with half a brain and his bilious thought will come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭ollkiller

So he's not attending. What a man child of a person. And once again showing he's a coward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Lindsey has a login

Flip flopping between "work hard, pick yourself up by the bootstraps, honest job honest pay" and "bartender lmao"

And yes, still lots of right wing stories lionizing bartenders and bar owners who are 'distraught' about the Covid lockdowns. Duplicitous sons of bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

She has as many enemies in the DNC as in the GOP.

Pelosi and older Democrats hate her.

She's young and a bit foolish, well politically naive. She's as divisive as she is popular and she really needs to learn the value of compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

rosser44 wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see what role the placing of trump loyalists into positions within the pentagon had to play with the delaying of the roll out of the National Guard

The pentagon seem to have offered on advance actually, while the secretary of defense (Christopher Miller, a hardcore trump loyalist who has been actively getting in the way of the transition process).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_C._Miller

The army secretary had to bipass Miller and call the Maryland Governor directly, breaching protocol in the process, to get the NG sent out.

Makes you wonder if all the lost cause claims in the courts the last two months have been an effort to legitimize a planned coup. Because it's hard to find an explanation for the police state that the US has become preparing for and responding to an event like this in the way they did.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    She's young and a bit foolish, well politically naive. She's as divisive as she is popular and she really needs to learn the value of compromise.

Like compromising with a colleague who calls you a "****ing bitch" and then doesn't apologize for 'standing up for what he believes in?'

• Registered Users Posts: 13,174 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It's a good job he never finished his wall. He could still make a run for the border :p
    I did moot the idea of Biden pardoning Trump as a way of extinguishing the flames of nutjobbery, but to the credit of the boards members they have convinced me that it's a bad move.
    But make no mistake, the race for reelection in 2024 is already 2 months in and the votes gained this time cannot be relied upon automatically. They must be won again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

I've a question about what happened with the poor officer the got beaten and I think I know the answer.

It is pretty clear that there are going to be some charges coming down on Trump for incitement (or at least they will try) but could the family of the officer take a civil suit against Trump for his wrongful death or does the fact he was president at the time make him immune to those sort of cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,896 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Thoughts?

As I said, I would have expected protests. Clashes between anti-protestors and protestors. Perhaps even attacks on stores or vehicles etc.

Feel free to give me one concrete example from any commentator who predicted that the Trumpers would possibly attack and overrun the Capitol?

Another agency asking them in advance whether they needed any assistance is likely a routine process

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Anyone remember back to the press conference held in Georgia in November/December time, the guy was telling the POTUS that his words mattered and if he keeps going someone was going to get hurt, someone was going to get shot, someone was going to get killed?

In the words of Malcolm X.. The chickens have come home to roost.

Tippex wrote: »
    I've a question about what happened with the poor officer the got beaten and I think I know the answer.

It is pretty clear that there are going to be some charges coming down on Trump for incitement (or at least they will try) but could the family of the officer take a civil suit against Trump for his wrongful death or does the fact he was president at the time make him immune to those sort of cases?

The OLC opinion is non binding, just nobody challenges it. It's only for indicting them while in office, and frankly this wasn't an official action of office, it was a political action by a political candidate who was upset they lost an election. This wasn't some criminal infraction as the result of an executive order or something. IANAL but I think they'd be dead to rights to sue him in a civil court.

Until or unless they impeach him this is just going to fester. He could pardon his family and walk right the hell away from this. Though, I suspect many State AGs might file state charges against Trump, if they can find any that relate to this assault. States have already pledged that residents of their states that partook in this will be facing prosecution.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Pelosi was trying to hide the nuclear codes from trump
    This morning, I spoke to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Mark Milley to discuss available precautions for preventing an unstable president from initiating military hostilities or accessing the launch codes and ordering a nuclear strike."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-election-2020/pelosi-trump-riot-war-nuclear-weapons-b1784580.html

Smart lady.

Anyone remember back to the press conference held in Georgia in November/December time, the guy was telling the POTUS that his words mattered and if he keeps going someone was going to get hurt, someone was going to get shot, someone was going to get killed?

Brad Raffensberger or his Lt. I believe. In relation to a no-name poll worker receiving death threats over her presence in a conspiracy video.

• Anyone remember back to the press conference held in Georgia in November/December time, the guy was telling the POTUS that his words mattered and if he keeps going someone was going to get hurt, someone was going to get shot, someone was going to get killed?

I believe that was Gabriel Sterling from recollection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,515 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Foxtrol wrote: »
    On a stage outside socially distanced in front of the Capitol is much safer than doing it indoors - especially if he asks that no non-invitees attend.

The stage has been in the process of being built for weeks. At this point changing track is giving in to terrorism.

I'm talking about the event being held indoors with very few numbers.

Judge, candidates and family.

There was no sign of a stage being built when the trouble happend on Wednesday.

I'm not talking about terrorism at all but covid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement