Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump v Biden 2020,The insurrection (pt 6) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,603 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I believe that was Gabriel Sterling from recollection.

Bingo

• Registered Users Posts: 28,515 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I mean storming the Capitol Building and appearing to be prepared to take hostages was more prescient in my mind than COVID on the day TBH.

I'm talking about the inauguration not what happened on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Anyone remember back to the press conference held in Georgia in November/December time, the guy was telling the POTUS that his words mattered and if he keeps going someone was going to get hurt, someone was going to get shot, someone was going to get killed?

In the words of Malcolm X.. The chickens have come home to roost.

Got it..

https://twitter.com/karshaner/status/1334308726723981312?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 36,183 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Why? Just because he's beloved by American deplorables is no reason to pardon him. Biden can have the relevant law enforcement body investigate him while he governs the country.

What about the 300,000 Americans killed by covid? Do they not deserve justice?

UK, France, Italy, Germany, Spain together have a lower population than the USA, But their covid deaths are 400,000 plus combined.
    This virus has done the exact same everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Again, as shocking as those scenes are, it is not the same scenario and your argument amounts to a tautology. It will always be easier to clear an actual genuine and peaceful protest

One of my best friends was arrested during a sit-down protest outside the Whitehouse. It was organised and she had received training and instruction on what to do after being arrested.

The cops gave them whatever warning to disperse and they did not and then the cops came in and lifted them one by one. Actually, she was about 30 at the time but she looked very young and the cops weren't going to arrest her as they though she was underage. So she had to correct them in order to be arrested.
    They made their protest, got arrested, the group made their point and got their publicity over the issue (they were all photographed being arrested).

Had they tried to attack the cops in a mob, some would have gotten away. The fact that they were a genuine peaceful protest means that it is easy for the cops to deal with it.

The cops should have dealt with the recent storming far quicker and more harshly IMO. Comparing that to their ability to wheel out disabled people in wheelchairs and trying to use that as a proof of something is a load of bollix.

I was at completely peaceful BLM protests over the summer yet the police lined the streets in riot gear and had busses ready for arrests - at one protest there was more cops than protesters. Cops regularly chased protesters down public streets when in this case they were taking selfies with protesters that broke into the Capitol and assaulted and killed police.

Here were the DC arrest number comparison despite which obviously involved more law breaking

https://twitter.com/AriMelber/status/1347363579389992961?s=20

When police reinforcements arrived to the Capitol - the multiple SWAT teams - they could have easily arrested and kept those inside. Instead they literally held the door as they walked away. Now they have to go through the trouble of tracking them down and many will likely get away with their actions.

https://twitter.com/mattmiller757/status/1346944869588230144?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Sarcozies

Overheal wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/baothai1995/status/1347570577595265025?s=20

Covid wasn't going to prevent the inauguration from happening on the Capitol stage. They are still in the process of building it.

Terrorism won't, either.

Biden discouraged the public from gathering in masses on the mall. The ceremony itself will still take place.

We got em, people. Is tik tok admissable in court? I hope it is. I hope the super imposed face of the young lady doesn't discredit this impeccable evidence of...

*Checks notes*

A man coming up to security and hugging him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭valoren

If Johnson can be inaugurated aboard Air Force One then Biden can be inaugurated in a similarly small ceremony considering Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Can Trump pardon himself before he leaves the office against potential future criminal charges?

Can Trump pardon himself before he leaves the office against potential future criminal charges?

Not proactively no. Only retroactively.

Gerald Fords pardon covered all crimes Nixon may have committed between the date of his inauguration and the date of his resignation.

• Advertisement

• Overheal wrote: »

I remember discussing this with a work colleague from Texas who is going to work in DC this year. He is absolutely petrified about the whole thing and this movement. Very level headed fella, has some great insights but says he won't stop stressing until the Inauguration is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Trump not attending Biden's inauguration just shows what a petty, pathetic man-child we are dealing with here. The fact that some people STILL seem to see this guy as a strong leader is just laughable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,985 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

UK, France, Italy, Germany, Spain together have a lower population than the USA, But their covid deaths are 400,000 plus combined.

And how many of them were led by babbling f*ckwits who believed that injecting bleach was a solution?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

valoren wrote: »
    If Johnson can be inaugurated aboard Air Force One then Biden can be inaugurated in a similarly small ceremony considering Covid.

completely different situations. the stage is built. it will be taking place outdoors and done so safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

murpho999 wrote: »
    I'm talking about the event being held indoors with very few numbers.

Judge, candidates and family.

There was no sign of a stage being built when the trouble happend on Wednesday.

I'm not talking about terrorism at all but covid.

You clearly didn't know what you were looking at then.

The stage always take several weeks to put up (and take down), along with the media towers. The mob took them all over and you can see them in these photos.

https://twitter.com/KUTV2News/status/1346903499590680577?s=20

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1347020588846604294?s=20

I remember discussing this with a work colleague from Texas who is going to work in DC this year. He is absolutely petrified about the whole thing and this movement. Very level headed fella, has some great insights but says he won't stop stressing until the Inauguration is done.

I won't even stop stressing then. You just know Trump won't go away. Even if he's indicted his orbit will pick up the fight, even if he's arrested. And these militia yahoos will go to bat. These types idolize the Timothy McVeighs. We haven't seen the last act of terrorism inspired by Trump.

The reason for bringing that up, I've seen posted elsewhere comparing the response to this rally and what went on in the summer, what went on in the summer was going on for X amount of time.. yet here is an election official being able to predict the future off of the president's words back what 6/7 weeks ago?? How the fcuk was there not a bigger security presence Wednesday beggers belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,896 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I was at completely peaceful BLM protests over the summer yet the police lined the streets in riot gear and had busses ready for arrests - at one protest there was more cops than protesters. Cops regularly chased protesters down public streets when in this case they were taking selfies with protesters that broke into the Capitol and assaulted and killed police.

Here were the DC arrest number comparison despite which obviously involved more law breaking

https://twitter.com/AriMelber/status/1347363579389992961?s=20

When police reinforcements arrived to the Capitol - the multiple SWAT teams - they could have easily arrested and kept those inside. Instead they literally held the door as they walked away. Now they have to go through the trouble of tracking them down and many will likely get away with their actions.

https://twitter.com/mattmiller757/status/1346944869588230144?s=20

Jesus Christ. What is your point? What is your biggest takeaway from the shocking scenes witnessed at the Capitol?

A) That it's not fair that they didn't arrest more white "protestors" at the Capitol.

B) They shouldn't have arrested as many people at some BLM protest in the past.
    or

C) What we saw at the Capitol was a shocking attempt at insurrection, encouraged directly and implicitly by senior politicians and administration officials.

I'm going with C. You appear to be more concerned with A or B. Not sure which. Maybe both?

Why are people trying to deflect away from the actual fundamental seriousness of the incident with virtue signalling woke shite. It was an attack on the US institutions of democracy. Not an exercise in tallying arrests by skin colour.

All that other stuff has a place. But it's not relevant here. This was a serious attack on the US system from within. Serious in ideology if not in physical damage (relatively speaking)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I will tell you what though the length that the far right is going to try and change this story hide or or lie about it just goes to show how many middle of the road people got real 'woke' real fast yesterday.

This is not the time for fence sitters right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Given the way she has hit back at Cruz, Hawley and now Graham, completely appropriately in all cases, I really hope AOC has access to and is utilising all the appropriate security measures.
    She should be one of the leading forces in the Democratic Party for the next 30+ years and will need to be kept safe to do so.

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1347585309547110400

That's not the first time they traded barbs on twitter. Cruz got put in his place by her last November

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1331001675545456640

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,048 ✭✭✭✭briany

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1347569870578266115

There should be another bit of this tweet that reads, "...and nor will I be going to Dorothy Anne's 16th bday party because's a low-down, stuck-up two-faced, boyfriend-stealing b|tch!"

• Registered Users Posts: 26,988 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Jesus wept, RTE, the Late Late, virgin media, most irish media obsessing over CNN"s Donie o Sullivan, you'd think he only started at cnn last week. He's been doing excellent reporting (mainly technology) at CNN since 2016. Only recently RTE falling over themselves swooning over John King, he's been broadcasting over 25 years at CNN.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Jesus wept, RTE, the Late Late, virgin media, most irish media obsessing over CNN"s Donie o Sullivan, you'd think he only started at cnn last week. He's been doing excellent reporting (mainly technology) at CNN since 2016. Only recently RTE falling over themselves swooning over John King, he's been broadcasting over 25 years at CNN.

He appeared on the Dunphy podcast few months back. Was a good listen

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I only heard of him recently. Shrug.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭Cody montana

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Get out your calculator.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

As I said, I would have expected protests. Clashes between anti-protestors and protestors. Perhaps even attacks on stores or vehicles etc.

Feel free to give me one concrete example from any commentator who predicted that the Trumpers would possibly attack and overrun the Capitol?

Another agency asking them in advance whether they needed any assistance is likely a routine process

I fully expect there to be violence of some sort. I didn't expect them to overrun the senate because you know, the most powerful military in the world, heavily armed police force, national guard etc.
    I was naively under the impression America would be able to defend it's seat of government on arguably the most important day in an election cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,313 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

An Irish reporter for a large US news organisation in the middle of a huge historical event and you seem surprised that he is getting attention in domestic media. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭francois

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭Christy42

Jesus Christ. What is your point? What is your biggest takeaway from the shocking scenes witnessed at the Capitol?

A) That it's not fair that they didn't arrest more white protestors at the Capitol.

B) They shouldn't have arrested as many people at some BLM protest in the past.
    or

C) What we saw at the Capitol was a shocking attempt at insurrection, encouraged directly and implicitly by senior politicians and administration officials.

I'm going with C. You appear to be more concerned with A or B. Not sure which. Maybe both?

Why are people trying to deflect away from the actual fundamental seriousness of the incident with virtue signalling woke shite. It was an attack on the US institutions of democracy. Not an exercise in tallying arrests by skin colour.

All that other stuff has a place. But it's not relevant here. This was a serious attack on the US system from within. Serious in ideology if not in physical damage (relatively speaking)

Why are they ors? People who engage in insurrection should be arrested and stopped from continuing any further. The FBI seems to be heavily engaged in tracking them down which is easier than expected because they are dumb but really could have largely been done on the night.

They should have never have gotten that far. These were idiots, not some precision attack. Blm shows that the police know how to get heavy handed and yet were largely incapable or unwilling to deal with an attack on the Capitol which is as fundamentally serious as you suggest.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement