Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump v Biden 2020,The insurrection (pt 6) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭tigger123

Is there any chance this impeachment will be successful?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

<<Mod Snip>>

As if a few thousand protestors storming the capital on a single day (and remember most claim to have been peaceful protestors) was going to overthrow the US government. If you want to think that "overthrow the government" means to storm the Capitol and that that is all it entails then you are entitled to that delusion
    At least you now acknowledge that it was well known thousands would descend on the Capitol building with the intent of overthrowing the government.

And yet despite the police state that America is, it was decided to put entirely inadequate forces in place to protect against this, and when they went looking for assistance after things kicked off, it was point blank denied to them to the point they had to break protocol and use unofficial channels of communication to get it in.

Because the hardcore sycophant Trump has put in as secretary of defense would not allow the help to come, which is very very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,431 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

There is a theoretically plausible possibility that our universe is a videogame simulation, and each one of us is just a self aware avatar NPC who exist purely to add to the world building aesthetic, inserted by the game designers to make the the players experience a more immersive world

This one picture, of that gob****e, wrapped in an animal skin, inside the US capitol building as though he's sitting on a throne, in the middle of an insurrection directed by an orange skinned fox haired reality tv host comic book
    villain who somehow made it to be the president of the USA...
    And the fact that this douchebag is the son of a state supreme court judge...

That one picture does more to support that theoretical possibility than all the physics papers in the world put together.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,313 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

tigger123 wrote: »
    Is there any chance this impeachment will be successful?

He'll almost certainly be impeached but whether he'll be convicted by the Senate is another question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,650 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Do the Democrats have the numbers for an impeachment/conviction? I know they won the recent Georgia elections, but have those politicians actually taken their positions yet?

Or do they expect/hope some Republicans will join them?

Or do they mostly aim to force Republicans to vote publicly against impeachment/conviction?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Tony EH wrote: »
    I'm not saying there was a Hillsborough type situation going on. But there was an extremely tense one building up and rather than some sort of large "collusion" of groups, I think the forces involved just opted to defuse the situation instead of letting it get further out of control. They probably figured, correctly, that these numpties hadn't thought things through and it was a better option let them on through than have bullets flying.

In that respect, "law and order" was better served doing that, than turning things into a massacre. As things stand, there are 5 people dead. If they had been more heavy handed, god knows what the death toll would have been and that wouldn't have looked better, I assure you.

BS, A hillsborough situation is a mob of people trying to escape from a dangerous situation. This was a siege where the mob was trying to force their way in. No self respecting security force would open the gates to an armed violent mob trying to force their way in through a locked gate because there were too many of them trying to get in. It's bizarro world logic, and if you even for half a second think those doors would have opened if it was a BLM protest trying to get in, you're deluded.

glasso wrote: »

Two early candidates for the Darwin awards going by that.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

osarusan wrote: »
    Do the Democrats have the numbers for an impeachment? I know they won the recent Georgia elections, but have those politicians actually taken their positions yet?

Or do they mostly aim to force Republicans to vote publicly against impeachment?

It's a win-win for the Democrats really. He's either removed or the Republicans vote to save him again, highlighting that nothing has changed.

• Advertisement

Do the Democrats have the numbers for an impeachment? I know they won the recent Georgia elections, but have those politicians actually taken their positions yet?

Or do they mostly aim to force Republicans to vote publicly against impeachment?

Dems have majority in the House where the Impeachment will be voted upon. The trial would then be in the Senate.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Dems have majority in the House where the Impeachment will be voted upon. The trial would then be in the Senate.
    And despite the Georgia result, Republicans still have control of the senate for the moment?

And despite the Georgia result, Republicans still have control of the senate for the moment?

Need a two-thirds in the Senate to convict so regardless the Democrats would need 17 or so Republicans to cross the aisle and vote to convict Trump and remove him from office. Can't see it happening. I think if the impeachment goes through the Republicans will just stall on holding the trial until after the 20th so they won't have to do anything.

Do the Democrats have the numbers for an impeachment/conviction? I know they won the recent Georgia elections, but have those politicians actually taken their positions yet?

Or do they mostly aim to force Republicans to vote publicly against impeachment/conviction?

Would the senate where the actual trial would be if I remember correctly.
    While the GOP might get some bad press by not voting for the impeachmen/conviction, it would actually do more harm to them with the average republican voter if they voted for it.
    Being impeached and convicted means that any idea of trump running again in four years is done with.

They're still claiming Babbitt was unarmed?

hold on... wait a minute?? are you seriously suggesting fascists would lie???

I can't believe it.

They wouldn't know the meaning of the word propaganda

Faugheen wrote: »
    It's a win-win for the Democrats really. He's either removed or the Republicans vote to save him again, highlighting that nothing has changed.

Don't think so, only the actual impeachment and conviction would be a win.

Sure the GOP will get some bad press if they voted against it but they would suffer more damage with their supporters if they do vote for impeachment and conviction.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Lisa Murkowski calls on Trump to resign.

That's 1 Republican, 17 more to go...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,896 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

At least you now acknowledge that it was well known thousands would descend on the Capitol building with the intent of overthrowing the government.

And yet despite the police state that America is, it was decided to put entirely inadequate forces in place to protect against this, and when they went looking for assistance after things kicked off, it was point blank denied to them to the point they had to break protocol and use unofficial channels of communication to get it in.

Because the hardcore sycophant Trump has put in as secretary of defense would not allow the help to come, which is very very strange.

What are you going on and on about. There are hundreds of gob****e militias and groups around the US that want to overthrow X/Y/Z. (cf. state government of Michigan being an recent example). The fact that there are loons who want to do this is not a secret. That is a million miles from expecting that any given one of them are going to realistically attempt to overrun the Capitol (or their own statehouses)

Very few people expected to see the Capitol being over-run. I for one was shocked to see it happen. That is my simple point.

You seem to think that you, and everyone else, knew exactly what would happen. You somehow predicted that, because there was a call to "overthrow the government", that meant that a mob would converge on the Capitol and basically storm it. Some were let walk in, but is looks like that happened after it had already been breached.

You're looking for a conspiracy where there is none. The rejection of offers for outside agencies is a frequent occurrence in the US. Given that people like tallying against the BLM for some reason, you may or may not recall that most states refused to deploy National Guard against those protests, leading Trump to threaten to put the regular military on the street. Something which he did not have the power to do against the states' wishes. Now they refused the NG after those protests had already erupted. But it's a conspiracy here apparently that the Capitol Police did so before the "protests" :rolleyes:

Why might the Capitol Police have refused outside help? Well security of the Capitol is their job. They don't want outsiders coming in when they think they can handle it. Bringing in outsiders is an admission you're not up to the task. Arrogance and pride - yes. Conspiracy - most likely not.

How many times have you been there? To the Capitol?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,826 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭valoren

A simple choice.

1. I condone what Trump has done. Not Guilty.
    2. I condemn what Trump has done. Guilty.

Asks them all to put their morals where their mouths are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,516 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The republicans will fûck him under the bus, they are doing, they have done...

And to prove it here are a handful of the many hardcore Republicans, high profile republicans who endorsed Biden..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Republicans_who_opposed_the_Donald_Trump_2020_presidential_campaign

When the likes of Colin Powell, is fûcking you under the bus... time to get a ticket and get on out of there..

Need a two-thirds in the Senate to convict so regardless the Democrats would need 17 or so Republicans to cross the aisle and vote to convict Trump and remove him from office. Can't see it happening. I think if the impeachment goes through the Republicans will just stall on holding the trial until after the 20th so they won't have to do anything.

Yes of course, I've forgotten a two-thirds majority was needed, no chance of that.

Yeah, they'll just delay until the 20th. I'm surprised it's even possible to think about rushing it through so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

how much damage could he do in 12 days?

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Two early candidates for the Darwin awards going by that.

is there any credible source for these other than revolt news

• Registered Users Posts: 13,174 ✭✭✭✭flazio

fryup wrote: »
    how much damage could he do in 12 days?

That's like Jeremy Clarkson asking "How hard can it be?"

• Registered Users Posts: 83,602 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

They could more easily find 17 to walk across the street to tell him to resign, though.

You would think, at least

• Registered Users Posts: 19,826 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

People are forgetting that even if Wednesday didn't happen, twittler earned impeachment for the call to Georgia...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭yagan

Yes of course, I've forgotten a two-thirds majority was needed, no chance of that.

Yeah, they'll just delay until the 20th. I'm surprised it's even possible to think about rushing it through so quickly.
    The Republican party are now getting threats from Trumpers so it's actually in their interest to prosecute Trump. They actually need federal protection now.

Every vote to defend Trump or delay the hearing is more evidence that those senators supported his insurrection

I think the fact that they require a 2/3 majority makes it even more powerful. It means there is no hiding place. Every vote matters. And those who vote against it could be unelectable ever again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

https://twitter.com/insidernews/status/1347646782659031043?s=19

"We pay our taxes, we get nothing back" yeah that's called capitalism Ted, it's also called fiscal responsibility, you should ask the grim reaper about it he fcuking loves it haha

This is the stupidity that those GOP reps/Senators are playing with, pure child's play for them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement