Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump v Biden 2020,The insurrection (pt 6) Read OP

Options

Comments

murpho999 wrote: »
    Trump won't be running in four years time.

He's a political dead duck, nobody with any credibility will support him.

Anyhow, blame Trump for being banned and not Twitter.

He can run as an independent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Congrats to twitter for making sure we get a much worse version of Trump in 4 years time.

They just couldn't help themselves and they had to pull the trigger early. They've played right into the narrative that he and his supporters are being silenced.

Plenty of time for discussion about the role that big social media companies play in terms of free speech but what they've done is the correct move, and long overdue. There is a difference between a person using social media to share their personal beliefs and a wannabe fascist using it to spread lies and misinformation and to incite violence. There's no place for a pathological liar to have a platform to spread his nonsense to 80 million followers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭oldtimeyfella

everlast75 wrote: »
    Jesus Christ.

Can you even try to sound genuine in your "outrage"?

It's ****ing tedious at this stage.

I'm not outraged, you are the one breaking down in histrionics in every other post.

If you don't see how marginalising a guy and the 70 million + people who voted for him is a bad idea then i don't know what to tell you.

What's the old saying, "sunlight is the best disinfectant"?

The same people cheering this Twitter ban and Parler being taken off Google Play and the Apple store will be the same people scratching their heads when Biden (sorry, he'll be long dead) and Harris get ****ed out in a landslide in 2024.

• Behind the scenes there must be some level of communication between big tech and Washington around this.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,740 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Congrats to twitter for making sure we get a much worse version of Trump in 4 years time.

They just couldn't help themselves and they had to pull the trigger early. They've played right into the narrative that he and his supporters are being silenced.

There's more likelihood that Trump won't be able to vote in 2024 than there is that he will on a ballot paper.

• Advertisement

Behind the scenes there must be some level of communication between big tech and Washington around this.

Was saying that a few weeks ago. Suspect some v high priced attorneys were getting paid to monitor Trumps account and expect one of them phone ahead to let them know what was going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

They can but it is still censorship, despite what is being claimed here. I admire your commitment to property rights, though. I don't have that kind of regard for property myself, certainly not in monopoly situations.

I very much support Chomsky's opinion on free speech. You are either for it or against it. Irrespective of the unsavoury outcomes that may occur. But he means speech in controlled environments, not the anarchic irresponsibility based on lies which Trump has engaged in.

However, a private company sets up its own rules and as a member of that company or user of its facilities, you abide by those rules or you face sanction. It's very simple and has nothing to do with "property rights".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Behind the scenes there must be some level of communication between big tech and Washington around this.

Or they're just so in-tune together that they don't even need to make the calls. Like twins sensing each others mood.

Trump won't be running in four years time.

He's a political dead duck, nobody with any credibility will support him.

Anyhow, blame Trump for being banned and not Twitter.

The worse version of Trump i'm talking about isn't literally going to be Trump.

People will be begging to have the silly orange twitter man back when whoever this other guy is coasts into power in 2024.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

Fascists frequently weaponise free speech absolutism.

While Biden is the winner you are forgetting that 70 million Americans voted for Trump.
    Trump is leaving the White House and is being scrubbed from social media.
    His followers are not going anywhere.
    A minority are militant and will get more so if Trump is impeached.
    That's the unavoidable reality.
    Senator Graham was told he would be hounded for the rest of his life when he arrived back from Washington. The same goes for every Republican who has turned against Trump.
    State capitols were visited by MAGA crowds not just the Capitol in Washington DC.
    Democrats are going to pour petrol on the fire unless they pull back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭maebee

Can even go follow the Tangerine One on there

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1347692261816070147

365,000 of his citizens have died on his watch and he's spending his time this evening creating new social media accounts. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,013 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I am torn between stopping the crazy Q people from plotting on parler and stopping Donald Tweeting and the fact that this plays into their conspiracy theories.

Ya it puts conspiracy theories right back where the belong. As a sub forum on many websites like this.

Not mainstream into adults pockets 24/7 infecting normal people's thinking.

This cuts off their access to subvert the average Joe who can to back to normal life giving out to the TV rather than travelling to Washington with pipe bombs and plastic cable ties.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

And when they make private websites they get their hosting struck down/compromised, but they don't have a 'right' to that either. When they try to get funded the payment processors blacklist them, they don't have a right to those too? It's impossible for anyone but big corporations to set have their own hosting, DDoS protection, payment processing etc and that's just the way they like it.

Go off grid, like many have done. You can renounce industrial society and its future.

While Biden is the winner you are forgetting that 70 million Americans voted for Trump.
    Senator Graham was told he would be hounded for the rest of his life when he arrived back from Washington. The same goes for every Republican who has turned against Trump.
    State capitols were visited by MAGA crowds not just the Capitol in Washington DC.

The Republicans created this monster, it's on them to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,500 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

He can run as an independent though.

He could but I think his actions this week have lost him a lot of those 75m votes plus he'd be up against the Republicans and many of them are loyal to the party.

I really think his political career is over.

And when they make private websites they get their hosting struck down/compromised, but they don't have a 'right' to that either. When they try to get funded the payment processors blacklist them, they don't have a right to those too? It's impossible for anyone but big corporations to set have their own hosting, DDoS protection, payment processing etc and that's just the way they like it.

I'm not on about "they" but Trump who has been spouting rubbish on Twitter for years.

People should not be allowed to spread hate or lies and incite violence. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

I have no dog in this race. What's your ideal endgame?

He could but I think his actions this week have lost him a lot of those 75m votes plus he'd be up against the Republicans and many of them are loyal to the party.

I really think his political career is over.

The bulk of those votes were R votes.

I'd imagine he commands less than ten percent of them in real terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,827 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

combat14 wrote: »
    apparently twitter execs gave millions to biden campaign probably be court cases galore over this yet

Apparently you got that off Parler

Tik

Tok..

• Advertisement

Go off grid, like many have done. You can renounce industrial society and its future.

There's going to be plenty of new versions of good ole' Ted being created by outlets like twitter, google and apple deciding to silence a huge chunk of certain viewpoints in the past couple of hours.

If i was an exec for a big tech company i'd have someone else start opening my packages for me in future.

The people who turned up at Capitol Building or threatening Senator Graham do not represent all republicans or Twitter voters.

I would argue that he's lost a lot of those 75 million voters in the last 2 months, and particularly the last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

1. I have no interest in being off the grid and it's disappointing to know that people believe that's the only place speech can thrive.
    2.There's no such thing as off the grid. Drones and satellites.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,827 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I'm not outraged, you are the one breaking down in histrionics in every other post.

If you don't see how marginalising a guy and the 70 million + people who voted for him is a bad idea then i don't know what to tell you.

What's the old saying, "sunlight is the best disinfectant"?

The same people cheering this Twitter ban and Parler being taken off Google Play and the Apple store will be the same people scratching their heads when Biden (sorry, he'll be long dead) and Harris get ****ed out in a landslide in 2024.

Awh, boo ****ing hoo.

**** him and **** his supporters.

If he can't overturn a twitter ban, how the hell did he expect to overturn an election lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

apparently twitter execs gave millions to biden campaign probably be court cases galore over this yet

Are these the same "millions" that Trump is earning for them by using their platform? SO you're saying Trump funded Biden?

Genius. 4d chess indeed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

it doesn't.

Text is

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievance

It doesn't apply at all in this case, though. Private property.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_free_speech_exceptions#Incitement

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

I think that when Trump and his administration are finally gone the Democrats should also do a bit of house cleaning themselves.
    Pelosi and some of her associates retiring or resigning might help to defuse future problems with both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

LOL

Combat14, ay?

I take it the Combat18 username was taken. ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_18

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

The Republicans created this monster, it's on them to fix it.

Democrats calling anyone who opposes them racist mysognist fascist and trying to shut them down publically online and get them fired?
    Rioting looting and burning property all summer attacking and killing police tearing down statues?
    Supporting the most extreme abortion laws including partial birth abortions?
    And top it all trying to take away the right to bear arms from private citizens?

Why are you surprised that Trump got the support of MAGA people with vast crowds athus rallies?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement