Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump v Biden 2020,The insurrection (pt 6) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,666 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It was brought up by another poster, but one key aspect that is abundantly clear is the online radicalisation is not confined to Muslims and jihadists.

Clearly many on the right, particular those that follow Trump and certainly those that were involved in DC at week, have been radicalised to the point where they are willing to attack their own country.

They now need to put as much effort into containing and reversing this radicalisation as they have into Muslim radicalisation.

Supposedly Parler has been been hacked. In which case we should be expecting a lot of data dumps in near future. Apparently they never actively deleted content, just marked it as not visible effectively. Never felt less sympathy for a group of people.

Been a few rumors about that over the last few months and not verified and in some cases proven not to be the case.

There has been a lot of chat on different discussion forums about it, and given that if possible the grab would be for SSN and similar data that their verified accounts have to provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,454 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Leroy42 wrote: »
    It was brought up by another poster, but one key aspect that is abundantly clear is the online radicalisation is not confined to Muslims and jihadists.

Clearly many on the right, particular those that follow Trump and certainly those that were involved in DC at week, have been radicalised to the point where they are willing to attack their own country.

They now need to put as much effort into containing and reversing this radicalisation as they have into Muslim radicalisation.
    Thing is is that the radicalisation is embedded and institutionalised in the American media. I was trying to make the point late last week that it's not people with mental health issues that stormed the capitol, while these people may exhibit traits of paranoia and anxiety similar to mental illness, these symptoms are expressed due to radicalisation rather than any mental health problems

• Registered Users Posts: 19,815 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I was listening to 60 mins this morning and was reminded of this

https://www.npr.org/sections/biden-transition-updates/2020/12/01/940961602/someones-going-to-get-killed-ga-official-blasts-gop-silence-on-election-threats

'Someone's Going To Get Killed': Ga. Official Blasts GOP Silence On Election Threats
    December 1, 2020

8:58 PM ET

This was coming for weeks.

They played a segment of an advert used by Trump et al which used edited footage claiming that this proved voter fraud. They knew it was edited and they used it anyway.

Wednesday did not occur out of the blue. Trump has been lying about the election results for some time. He used this allegation to make money and now people are dead.

There is going to be a full investigation into what Trump did and there will be proof of stuff that we currently suspect, such as multiple other calls to other states, details of meetings had in person, details of what his stooges (Graham et al) have done, warnings about what was to happen on Wednesday, what role trump played in altering the response from the state and federal arms and it will be an even bigger disgrace than it is at present.

I suspect pre-emptive pardons to Meadows who was on that call, Graham and others.

The truth will out.

everlast75 wrote: »
    It is very clear that Trump et al are trying to deflect from Wednesday by shifting the talking points to big tech and censorship.

While there are larger questions about the role that media companies play in american politics, the reality here is that Trump has had the biggest podium for the last four years. He had the daily press briefings and he chose to stymie those by making them less and less frequent, and instilling successive liars to brow beat and attack the free press with snide remarks.

The main reason he has a beef with having his twitter account shut down is because the people he wants to speak to don't sit in front of the tv as they don't like any pushback from the press. Trump doesn't like dissent, nor do his folk. He likes echo chambers. It is simple for him to say on twitter outrageous stuff and try and ban anyone (irony alert) who gives him grief over it.

A free press, warts and all, are required for a democracy. Trump attacked them from day one.

And people said they didn't see this authoritarian move coming.

You're going a bit too far... Twitter did not allow him to ban anyone from seeing his tweets. It was considered a right to be able to view a statement by the US president.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,174 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

You're going a bit too far... Twitter did not allow him to ban anyone from seeing his tweets. It was considered a right to be able to view a statement by the US president.

It wasn't Twitter who decided that it was a ruling by a Federal Court that forced him to unblock everybody.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,975 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Leroy42 wrote: »

Exactly. Far right ideology has been the biggest driver for terrorist plots in the US in recent years:

20201031_WOC027.png

Deaths from white nationalist terror attacks are also a significant issue:

20190323_IRC986.png

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I think there's a growing attitude that once Trump goes, it's time to move on and not hear from him.

Let's see if US media can resist themselves. I'm not hopeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,174 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I think there's a growing attitude that once Trump goes, it's time to move on and not hear from him.

We still have all his future court cases to be enthralled by

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Not having a twitter account will go 99.99% towards achieving that.

VinLieger wrote: »
    We still have all his future court cases to be enthralled by

Martyr alert so.

Not having a twitter account will go 99.99% towards achieving that.

I heard there are already rumours of a post office media deal.

Difficult not to overstate the greedy and unethical nature of US media.

Amongst who exactly? Those that incited this?

Martyr alert so.

With people who would still vote for him if he shot someone on 5th avenue, he will always be a martyr

Martyr alert so.

Far more dangerous to not hold him to account.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,005 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I heard there are already rumours of a post office media deal.

Difficult not to overstate the greedy and unethical nature or US media.

Post office media deal ?? ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Unless the US confronts the stain of Trump and Trumpism the damage he inflicted on an already damaged society will not be undone. Sticking your fingers in your ears and hoping that he & his damaging beliefs will go away, is not helpful. Asking actual professional media organisations to leave Trump alone and hope he and all he represents will go away is baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭Cody montana

What about when he’s jailed?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

Unless the US confronts the stain of Trump and Trumpism the damage he inflicted on an already damaged society will not be undone. Sticking your fingers in your ears and hoping that he & his damaging beliefs will go away, is not helpful. Asking actual professional media organisations to leave Trump alone and hope he and all he represents will go away is baffling.

That's not even what many of these 'post-Trumpists' want, though. They want all the events of the last few months (and years, in reality) to be brushed under the carpet so that there are no consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

The big bad red maga hat wearing, insurrectionist alarm bells where all there...

https://twitter.com/AyannaPressley/status/1348492258027458569?s=19

But yeah, what about BLM/Antifa

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

In regards to the big tech issue Trump is trying to bring up, the only reason they are banning Trump and Parler losing AWS hosting etc is due to people using them to organize new attacks. They don't want there platforms to be used for terrorist attacks. All the usual arguments in regards to the power of big tech are mute, they have a moral and legal responsibility to not let there platforms be used to organize terrorist attacks, and this is what Parler was being used for, and this is what Trump was inciting.

For once big tech did something right.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

flazio wrote: »
    Even his golfing buddies don't want anything to do with him anymore.
    Hah hah
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/golf/2021/0111/1188846-trump-national-golf-club-stripped-of-pga-championship/

More than anything else, that's the one thing that's going to eat away at him.

He had the PGA Championship at his venue and they're taking it away from him. He's going to lose his fcuking mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,597 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Oh dear, talk about hitting them in the pockets, this tweet has started of a chain reaction asking companies why they rent space from Trump.

https://twitter.com/donwinslow/status/1348452909655093249?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Lets just imagine for some mad reason the election is overturned, and the traitor insurrectionists get there way, what would Trump do over the next 4 years that would actually make America great again.

Considering that he did exactly the opposite in the last 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

stoneill wrote: »
    Lets just imagine for some mad reason the election is overturned, and the traitor insurrectionists get there way, what would Trump do over the next 4 years that would actually make America great again.

Considering that he did exactly the opposite in the last 4 years.

Nothing. And that's the crux of this. Trump doesn't provide any answers or solutions to the anger that the MAGAs have but he sure does provide an outlet for them to be angry and have people to be angry at and he riles them up to be angry. No solutions, just anger and delusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭francois

If this is true a lot if the cosplay terrorists are in deep doo-doo
    https://twitter.com/niallistlondon/status/1348586138974490625?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

Oh dear, talk about hitting them in the pockets, this tweet has started of a chain reaction asking companies why they rent space from Trump.

https://twitter.com/donwinslow/status/1348452909655093249?s=19

Ultimately this is going to be one of the biggest things to affect Trump now.
    Things are starting to affect him directly outside of the presidency.
    Losing the PGA is massive for him, Tripe taking away the payment processing. These are things that affect Trumps business interests and these will have the longest-lasting effect on him personally.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement