Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump v Biden 2020,The insurrection (pt 6) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Islamists are angry that the US has been interfering in Middle East conflicts for fifty years and overthrowing governments to install puppet dictatorships.

So America should just move on from the events of 9/11, because all these people are just ready to explode*. Americans should be trying to heal the broken divide, not make it worse.

*The off-colour pun was not intended, but I did laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

briany wrote: »
    You're going to see talking points like this in the coming weeks if continue to follow the story. Another one that I saw was that what happened on January 6th was caused by left-leaning MSM's failure to condemn the riots which happened during BLM in the Summer, leading to a normalisation of political violence.

Obviously not caused, but certainly not helped. Obviously Trump has been the instigator in chief, but both sides of the political divide in the US have played their part in heightening tensions.

https://twitter.com/jason_howerton/status/1300520249196978176

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,974 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Obviously not caused, but certainly not helped. Obviously Trump has been the instigator in chief, but both sides of the political divide in the US have played their part in heightening tensions.

That's just whataboutery. Sure, the Democrats are pretty lousy but this is an entirely Republican mess. Trump's the ringleader but the GOP have abandoned last year's conservative principles to become his cultists.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 11,454 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

But only one side have talked about, and attempted to, subvert a fair and Democratic election

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1348623402635030530?s=20

Melanie there paying tribute to dead terrorists

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,539 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It's awful.stuff but Pelosi doesn't help things either. She's the wrong person to have speaking out. The Dems really need somebody else leading Congress.

I've never heard one good reason. People hate her because she's from California, and she's old, and FEEEEEMALLLLLE :mad:

It's awful.stuff but Pelosi doesn't help things either. She's the wrong person to have speaking out. The Dems really need somebody else leading Congress.

What's wrong with her?

That's just whataboutery. Sure, the Democrats are pretty lousy but this is an entirely Republican mess. Trump's the ringleader but the GOP have abandoned last year's conservative principles to become his cultists.

How is it whataboutery?

People are absolved for their own bad behaviour because one side is worse? Makes no sense. Obviously one side is worse than the other, but the whole system is broken.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,974 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

How is it whataboutery?

People are absolved for their own bad behaviour because one side is worse? Makes no sense. Obviously one side is worse than the other, but the whole system is broken.

I don't disagree that the system is unfit for purpose but the current situation is entirely down to Republicans, Conservatives & Trump.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 19,815 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

It is the usual both sides nonsense.

There is only one person from one party that has caused what happened on Wednesday.

Only one.

The ****er should be impeached for the phone call, never mind what happened afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,996 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I don't disagree that the system is unfit for purpose but the current situation is entirely down to Republicans, Conservatives & Trump.

Of course. I was making a more general point about how the US got to where it is today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭yagan

The red line is some people want to work within their constitution for change, and other want to violently overthrow their constitution.

Poster here promoting the "both sides are the same" are pushing terrorism and I think it wise to deplatform them permanently.

1) She absolutely schooled trump in the first lockdown he caused. I don't rate politicians at all, but she is streets ahead of most and miles ahead of donny

2) The crowd who broke into the Capitol building were calling her name. Her staff hid under tables for over 2 hours while the proud boys et al tried to smash the door in.

3) As 3rd in line, she is absolutely the right person to take donny to task.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,037 ✭✭✭✭briany

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2021/jan/07/facebook-posts/quotes-4-democrats-twisted-make-it-look-they-endor/

Another thing is about MSM news coverage - if I type BLM protests CNN into Youtube, the results aren't exactly their reporters fist pumping to the sight of looting on the streets.

Violent protests - CNN

Protestor condemns looters - CNN

St Louis homeowner argues with reporter about right to defend home - CNN

Also, CNN interviewing a man at the Capitol Hill riots this last week

So, there is a case to say that that what is accused of being the leftist media is not in fact pushing one version of events and only one version of events

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

And it's out!

70TB of Parler user info leaked online.

I wonder if any birds posters used parler?

this is taking far too long, but frankly I just want there to be sanction by the House at the very least for Trump for his attempted coup

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1348632529490890752?s=20

briany wrote: »
    https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2021/jan/07/facebook-posts/quotes-4-democrats-twisted-make-it-look-they-endor/

Another thing is about MSM news coverage - if I type BLM protests CNN into Youtube, the results aren't exactly their reporters fist pumping to the sight of looting on the streets.

Violent protests - CNN

Protestor condemns looters - CNN

St Louis homeowner argues with reporter about right to defend home - CNN

Also, CNN interviewing a man at the Capitol Hill riots this last week

So, there is a case to say that that what is accused of being the leftist media is not in fact pushing one version of events and only one version of events

You've lost me. No idea where you're going with any of that.

And it's out!

Nowhere to run

Nowhere to hide

Gosh, that has delighted me. :)

And it's out!

I would say they haven't changed their usernames between platforms

• Advertisement

duploelabs wrote: »

I think the rule - "never say anonymously online what you would be prepared to say in person" holds true..

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

to sign up to parler you had to upload photos of your ID. I wonder if they got that data as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Are they URL links (parler offline) or is the content of the links downloaded?

everlast75 wrote: »
    this is taking far too long, but frankly I just want there to be sanction by the House at the very least for Trump for his attempted coup

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1348632529490890752?s=20

Well, buckle up.

Some Representatives are saying it could take up to 100 days into Biden's presidency to actually transmit the articles of impeachment to the Senate and begin the impeachment trial of Donald Trump.

What will happen today according to the speakers memo yesterday:

- They will introduce a bill for a 25th amendment commission, provided for in the amendment but never implemented by Congress. Until now.

Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President.

- They won't get unanimous consent for that and it will be docketed for tuesday/wednesday to debate

- Similarly, the articles of impeachment will be introduced, Republicans will not allow it to pass with unanimous consent and it will go to a debate and a floor vote by Wednesday.

The Senate won't move to regular business until the 19th, so even if they passed and transmitted today that's the earliest date they would take it up. But, this also all butts up to the Inauguration, and not a single cabinet member of the next administration has yet been confirmed. The first confirmation hearing is already scheduled for the 19th. Biden will have all acting department heads from the previous administration; which is FUBAR under the circumstances. So there's a real debate between what the priorities are right now. Of course, the GOP will start to SCREAM after the 20th that trying to convict Trump of impeachment is moot after he leaves office.

Or their IP addresses :D

They're fhuuucked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

fly_agaric wrote: »
    Suppose that is true.
    I have a very left (economic) wing view of it all + think the greed of wealthy interests/companies is the ultimate cause of what is happening to the US.
    They just couldn't bear to share x % extra with their employees or have the government somewhat constrain their ability to make money for benefit of the society over last few decades. It chafed them.
    Now fundamentals of the whole system (like accepting results of an election and a peaceful transition of power) that they have been parasitic on are starting to fray. After all if democracy in the US does devolve into authoritarianism, their golden goose will croak & only selected cronies & friends keeping on the right side of the Leader/party will be able to profit (similar to Russia/China perhaps?).

Well, the Brothers Koch have been successful in undermining union activism and leftist agendas in colleges and administrations via all sorts of targeted propaganda. The healthcare and Education sector are great examples of how Americans have been led to believe a universal health scheme would "take away" their choice. The Koch brothers have been active on that front for 50 years trying to roll back or stem the liberal measures of progressives.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,037 ✭✭✭✭briany

You've lost me. No idea where you're going with any of that.

A) Some (and I reiterate some) quotations were taken out of context. For example, Pelosi didn't say, "I don't know why there aren't uprisings across the country" in relation to BLM riots. She said it in relation to the practice of separating kids from their parents at the Mexican border.

B) The MSM didn't exactly cheer on the rioting at certain BLM protests during the Summer, or even normalise it. There was certainly a lot of discussion about it and a lot of voices commenting. Even CNN, who Trump has repeatedly called 'fake news' and vilified to his supporters, did not portray the protests as 100 percent peaceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Overheal wrote: »
    Well, buckle up.

Some Representatives are saying it could take up to 100 days into Biden's presidency to actually transmit the articles of impeachment to the Senate and begin the impeachment trial of Donald Trump.

What will happen today according to the speakers memo yesterday:

- They will introduce a bill for a 25th amendment commission, provided for in the amendment but never implemented by Congress. Until now.

Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President.

- They won't get unanimous consent for that and it will be docketed for tuesday/wednesday to debate

- Similarly, the articles of impeachment will be introduced, Republicans will not allow it to pass with unanimous consent and it will go to a debate and a floor vote by Wednesday.

The Senate won't move to regular business until the 19th, so even if they passed and transmitted today that's the earliest date they would take it up. But, this also all butts up to the Inauguration, and not a single cabinet member of the next administration has yet been confirmed. The first confirmation hearing is already scheduled for the 19th. Biden will have all acting department heads from the previous administration; which is FUBAR under the circumstances.

can he not fire them all and appoint his own people as acting secretaries until they are confirmed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Are they URL links (parler offline) or is the content of the links downloaded?

Just downloaded one of the .txt.bin files editted out the .bin part I'm left with a big list of parler.com links, a bit pointless when the site is offline... Or am I missing something?

• Advertisement

can he not fire them all and appoint his own people as acting secretaries until they are confirmed?

IDK exactly how that works for each position, I do not think you can just pick up a political friend off the street and give them the keys to the DOJ. Usually acting heads are reassigned from within the government. And yeah he will have to do so, but it will be a nightmare altogether.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement