Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump v Biden 2020,The insurrection (pt 6) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,168 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

maebee wrote: »
    Nice one from the Collison brothers:-

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/politics/stripe-bans-processing-donald-trump-s-fundraising-payments

Stripe, the online credit card processor started by the Collison brothers from Limerick, has announced they will stop processing online payments for Donald Trump’s campaign.

The ban by Stripe will cause huge problems for the Trump fundraising ventures as the company has become by far the biggest operator in the field. Trump is said to have raised up to $250 million since the presidential election.

Stripe has joined many US corporations, including Marriott, Blue Cross, Blue Shield, and Citi Bank, who have all announced they will no longer give donations to Republicans who helped launch the Capitol riots in Washington last week.

It's all very ''judge, jury and executioner '' . No one knows the story behind the storming of the capitol.

To me it was all very spur of the moment, by the front liner nutjobs, with a lot of simple country folk flowing into building, and flowing out again.
    The arrests were few, and it targeted those nutjobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭This is it

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Literally everything this fella posts is lies :pac::pac:

Once we continue to call it out as such it's actually funny in its own way

• Registered Users Posts: 83,539 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Kellyanne Conway trying to whitewash her participation in the radicalization of MAGA

https://twitter.com/KellyannePolls/status/1347322581607714816?s=20

She can go curl up in a hole and rot.

a12ad2d96d753be3-gif-printer-shredder-animated-gif-on-gifer-by-larim.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,037 ✭✭✭✭briany

joe40 wrote: »
    That's capitalism at work.

As for deplatforming, Trump literally has a press team. It was ridiculous that he was so obsessed with twitter in the first place.

It's much harder to schedule a press briefing about every thought you have while on the bog at 2AM.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

maebee wrote: »
    Nice one from the Collison brothers:-

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/politics/stripe-bans-processing-donald-trump-s-fundraising-payments

Stripe, the online credit card processor started by the Collison brothers from Limerick, has announced they will stop processing online payments for Donald Trump’s campaign.

The ban by Stripe will cause huge problems for the Trump fundraising ventures as the company has become by far the biggest operator in the field. Trump is said to have raised up to $250 million since the presidential election.

Stripe has joined many US corporations, including Marriott, Blue Cross, Blue Shield, and Citi Bank, who have all announced they will no longer give donations to Republicans who helped launch the Capitol riots in Washington last week.

You guys don't see the danger in allowing a private company this power? Dictating who gets funding and who doesn't?
    No, the real "huge danger" is in allowing violent seditionists to attempt to overthrow democracy.

This isn't some theoretical free speech argument any more. It actually happened that the President of the United States used social media to promote outright lies and get his supporters to gather, and and then stood in person in front of the mob, and encouraged them to go to Capitol Hill and disrupt the democratic process that was to certify his legitimate successor. This actually happened, and people died as a result.

Corporate America 100% have the duty to make sure that they're not used as tools to undermine democracy and the rule of law.

Corporate America shouldn't have that power. They then get to set policy.

Fair enough, Trump is an asswipe, but if they can do it with Trump, they can do it with anybody. And that's too much power for Corporate America.

• Advertisement

It's all very ''judge, jury and executioner '' . No one knows the story behind the storming of the capitol.

To me it was all very spur of the moment, by the front liner nutjobs, with a lot of simple country folk flowing into building, and flowing out again.

It's a bit like defending the Nazis by saying it was really just the leadership like Hitler and Goering, and everyone else were simple German folk who kind of went along with it.

Power goes both ways - you have the leadership but also consent to that leadership from everyone underneath. Those 'simple country folk' should have picked better leaders on the day of that protest, i.e. not one which led them to commit blatantly criminal actions, but that ship has sailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,454 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

BattleCorp wrote: »
    You guys don't see the danger in allowing a private company this power? Dictating who gets funding and who doesn't?

Fair enough, Trump is an asswipe, but if they can do it with Trump, they can do it with anybody. And that's too much power for Corporate America.

You do realise that stripe is irish right?????

So we should force businesses to do business with people they don't wish to, based not on sex, race, religion, or disability?

That sounds rather communist.

We had a whole gay wedding cake SCOTUS decision about this. Sex isn't even involved. Slam dunk freedom to boycott them.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,656 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

if you dont, you seems to post a HELL of a lot about it.....

duploelabs wrote: »
    You do realise that stripe is irish right?????

Dual headquartered in SF and in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,454 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Dual headquartered in SF and in Dublin.

And owned by two irishmen

Ah, the country bumpkins claim. Elected members of the GOP joined it, the son of a Brooklyn judge was involved. And the proud boys who have been praised by plenty on this very site. In terms of organisation, we have proof of it via parler, people were actively planning it and had every intention of storming the building if they could.

And Trump in all of this, declares how much he loves them. That includes the Neo Nazis and white supremacists. He spends months declaring they have to overturn the election. He inflames them by claiming fraud. He pushes conspiracies. All this endless rhetoric, he only backed down after it was long over. He was still shouting about fraud while the Capitol was being taken. Even his own staff view him as responsible.

You must think Manson was innocent too if you think Trump is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭yagan

Trump is corporate America personified, willing to lie and cheat, to promote falsehoods to push his own interests.

He preferred Twitter because it gave him the instant adoration and fawning from followers that his narcissism thrived on. He has a presse room he avoided because he gets asked questions he didn't like.

Everyone could see he was the danger when he banned journalists he didn't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Sparko

Overheal wrote: »
    Kellyanne Conway trying to whitewash her participation in the radicalization of MAGA

https://twitter.com/KellyannePolls/status/1347322581607714816?s=20

She can go curl up in a hole and rot.

a12ad2d96d753be3-gif-printer-shredder-animated-gif-on-gifer-by-larim.gif

"Had the President, whose re-election campaign reportedly spent over $1.2 billion and spanned 31 months, won overwhelmingly and outright, the past two months of churn could have been avoided."

What does that even mean? If he won there wouldn't have been a giant sulk?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Ah, come on. This isn’t him getting banned for posting something inappropriate. He’s been posting outrageous stuff for over 4 years, and apart from a few “fact check” labels, they took no action against him.

He’s been banned for encouraging violent insurrection against his own government while President. That’s not something that could be done to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Yeah the guys who had detailed maps of the Capitol were just on a guided tour and the guys dressed in military fatigues and carrying hand restraints must have got lost on their way to a fancy dress party.

I wonder do you actually believe the stuff you post.

I get it. The vast majority of people on here think Trump is an asswipe. I think the same.

But my point remains, it's a very dangerous precedent to set when you allow private corporations to dictate which political parties (or politicians) get to have their voice heard and or get the ability to raise funding on their sites.

You might all be delighted with it at the moment, because you don't like Trump, but it can easily backfire down the road.

I was accused of sounding rather communist. Guess who else does this kind of thing, deplatforming opponents and denying them funding etc........yep, Communist China.

Sure yeah I can just pull IEDs out of my ass on the spur of the moment.

I get it. The vast majority of people on here think Trump is an asswipe. I think the same.

But my point remains, it's a very dangerous precedent to set when you allow private corporations to dictate which political parties (or politicians) get to have their voice heard and or get the ability to raise funding on their sites.

You might all be delighted with it at the moment, because you don't like Trump, but it can easily backfire down the road.

I was accused of sounding rather communist. Guess who else does this kind of thing, deplatforming opponents and denying them funding etc........yep, Communist China.

They deplatform Nazis in Germany, too.

Not all deplatforming is unethical. Cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

No and I got news for you the Republicans have fought for decades for the rights of businesses to do business with whoever they want. Think of it like this: Trump is like the gay couple looking for a cake for their marriage; Stripe/Twitter are the conservative cake shop who refused due to their beliefs/corporate terms of service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Some of the reasons Parler was boycotted into oblivion - good reasons.

"Violence works make them afraid"

Parler-threat-1.jpg
    Parler-threat-2.jpg
    Parler-threat-3.jpg
    Parler-threat-4.jpg

Parler-threats-5.jpg < - During the siege

You can probably do the exact same for any social media platform. Shall we boycott all of them into oblivion too or just Parler?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,005 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'm not sure you actually know much about American.

Private companies literally give and decide who gets funding and who doesn't. Super PACs

They deplatform Nazis in Germany, too.

Not all deplatforming is unethical. Cop on.

Funny you should bring Germany into it.

Merkl doesn't agree with Trump being deplatformed either.

https://www.ft.com/content/6146b352-6b40-48ef-b10b-a34ad585b91a

titan18 wrote: »
    You can probably do the exact same for any social media platform. Shall we boycott all of them into oblivion too or just Parler?

I don't think you can because they are moderated.

But continue with your false equivalence. I'm listening

Funny you should bring Germany into it.

Merkl doesn't agree with Trump being deplatformed either.

https://www.ft.com/content/6146b352-6b40-48ef-b10b-a34ad585b91a

Who cares though Merkel can hold whatever opinion she likes , as can I , as can you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

It wasn't, and you don't think it was, because they spent weeks planning it, and then did all the stuff they said they would. They built a full gallows with a set of stairs up to it and brought maps, weapons disguised as flags, home built bombs, molotovs, and in the case of the Oathkeepers, moved in formation to a plan.

I'd bet a lot of monry some of the cops who participated will be identified by the fact they booked the day off two months ago.

The only politician who has been banned anywhere is the one who incited an Insurrection via their social media platform. They were pretty lax with him until now. How many domestic terror incidents does he have to be responsible for before they ban him?

Also by the above logic, if a modern day Joseph Goebbels started tweeting anti-semitism and inciting Kristallnacht, those banning him would be in the wrong. Cause nobody has pointed to where a line should be drawn on how far a politician or his representatives can go on a private platform...

No, it's not a dangerous precedent. Twitter is a private company. Donald Trump still can say whatever he likes. Twitter has simply decided that he cannot say what he likes using their platform. He's still free to put up his soap box in the centre of town, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I don’t think you do get it. It’s nothing to do with disliking Trump. It’s the fact that he actively sent a violent mob to stop Congress from certifying his legitimate successor. And the fact that he showed no remorse for doing so and looked likely to try to do it again.

Can you not see that it’s an exceptional situation that isn’t comparable to just posting stuff on Twitter that “the other side” might disagree with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

listermint wrote: »
    I don't think you can because they are moderated.

But continue with your false equivalence. I'm listening

Any check if twitter ATM can see violent threats with one search, some of which would have been up for ages. So if it's moderated, it's doing a damn sh1t job.

I mean 4chan still exists.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement