Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump v Biden 2020,The insurrection (pt 6) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

pjohnson wrote: »
    Exactly. And I see no reason these dopes would not vote for Ivanka.

They left reality behind years ago.

Why would anyone think republicans would give Ivanka a platform to run for president?
    Even the most one eyed amongst them has seen how badly this has played out for them and would want to wash their hands of the whole sorry family..
    The best Ivanka could do is perhaps try to run as an independent

• Registered Users Posts: 15,666 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Why would Ivanka even be invited? She is a WH staffer. Not POTUS or FLOTUS. She holds no office, not elected.

This sounds very much to me as a planted story that she would be willing to go, knowing she will not even be asked, and thus no danger she would actually have to go.

Just think about it. Her going would be a kick in the face of all the Trump supporters, all those GOPers that have fought for her dad the last two months. And of course most telling a complete repudiation of her Dads no show.

She has been virtually invisible since the election but this is an issue she feels strongly about?

Its the classic win-win for her. She appears high valued and looking for unity while knowing she won't actually have to do anything

• Registered Users Posts: 23,766 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Why would anyone think republicans would give Ivanka a platform to run for president?
    Even the most one eyed amongst them has seen how badly this has played out for them and would want to wash their hands of the whole sorry family..
    The best Ivanka could do is perhaps try to run as an independent
    Obviously the reps wouldnt touch her but no reason she cant run as Independent. Might be an interesting race between Kanye and Ivanka :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,813 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Trump has owed this bank millions in loans over the years and they have either given him a pass or allowed him to restructure.

Not any more.

https://twitter.com/conorsen/status/1348788189322997762?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Why would Ivanka even be invited? She is a WH staffer. Not POTUS or FLOTUS. She holds no office, not elected.

This sounds very much to me as a planted story that she would be willing to go, knowing she will not even be asked, and thus no danger she would actually have to go.

Just think about it. Her going would be a kick in the face of all the Trump supporters, all those GOPers that have fought for her dad the last two months. And of course most telling a complete repudiation of her Dads no show.

She has been virtually invisible since the election but this is an issue she feels strongly about?

Its the classic win-win for her. She appears high valued and looking for unity while knowing she won't actually have to do anything

If I were a Dem strategist, I'd immediately harvest all of her tweets and statements from the past six years and investigate her past, present and future businesses and private life. Over the next four years, I'd spend my time squirrelling away little nuggets of Ivanka dirt to be fed out to the media as soon as she hit the campaign trail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

everlast75 wrote: »
    Trump has owed this bank millions in loans over the years and they have either given him a pass or allowed him to restructure.

Not any more.

It'll be interesting to see if he or they decide to play hardball with the payback. Hittin' Donnie where it really hurts.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Looks like they're considering disbarring Rudy in New York.. Expect we'll get some posters praising him shortly for balance.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1348716078785064961?s=19

Not quite - That's not disbarment , basically he's potentially getting kicked out of the Lawyers Union , but he'd still be able to practice law.

Disbarment is a different thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Not any more.

Another company that could have ceased business at any time, but picks this bandwagon to jump on.

Trump has 8 days left of his presidency, why didn't they make this statement before now?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Another company that could have ceased business at any time, but picks this bandwagon to jump on.

Trump has 8 days left of his presidency, why didn't they make this statement before now?

Again, if any of them moved against him he had the power to make life difficult for them with legalisation I am not saying there is no a certain amount of cynicism in their actions but its not as simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,813 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

This cannot be a coincidence

From the NYT Dec 22

"Trump's longtime banker at Deutsche Bank resigns"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/12/22/business/trump-deutsche-bank-rosemary-vrablic.amp.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭briany

The idea that her or Don pose any possibility of becoming the nominee in 2024 is absolutely not going to ****ing happen, for a multitude of reasons, including that she is a woman.

Trump, for all his flaws, has a charisma which works on the weak minded. Ivanka and Don absolutely do not.

Neither one of them can hold a room.

Neither one of them have the illusion of being self made business mogul.

Neither one of them will have the national enquirer or other resources trump utilised in 2016.

Neither one of them will be running against a manifestly hated character like Hillary Clinton.

No how, no way.

And all of the above is without what will happen to the Trump name over the next year or two.

I can see why someone may instinctively fear it, but it does not in any way, become a possibility once it is considered for a short period of time.

If Donald Trump cannot run for the 2024 election, and the reason is not being in prison, dead, or otherwise incapacitated, then I would expect him to endorse either Ivanka or Don Jr. for Republican nominee.

Now, I fully agree with you on your opinion that Ivanka and Don Jr. are pretty much without charisma, and what attraction they do possess comes from their connections and money rather than emanating from their persons, and they would stand noooo chance of getting anywhere near a nomination - by themselves, but I would have to think that in the aforementioned case, they, and their dad, would make it perfectly clear that Don or Ivanka were proxy candidates, or as clear as they could without violating any statute which exists to prevent the practice. The message would be, "If you want 4 more years of Donald Trump, vote for me." Maybe not as blatant as that, but that would be the idea.

But even besides that, whoever wants to run for Republican nominee needs to court that Trump base, and this illustrates what a long shadow he's going to cast over the party, that his 'ideals' and potential endorsement will make or break candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,463 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Isn't it a factor of the primary system that they can't really stop her, or indeed anyone?
    In much the same way that DJT once had very little support in the top levels of the party itself, but the party members kept voting for him and he won the nomination.
    So unless there's a mechanism to prevent her getting on the New Hampshire/Iowa ballots in February 2024?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Isn't it a factor of the primary system that they can't really stop her, or indeed anyone?
    In much the same way that DJT once had very little support in the top levels of the party itself, but the party members kept voting for him and he won the nomination.
    So unless there's a mechanism to prevent her getting on the New Hampshire/Iowa ballots in February 2024?

In order to run for president on a republican ticket, she would have to seek a party nomination...I would hope that is where her attempt would immediately fall

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

They did, it was decided months ago, they're just waiting for him to leave the White House. - https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-deutsche-bank-exclusive/exclusive-tired-of-trump-deutsche-bank-games-ways-to-sever-ties-with-the-president-sources-idUSKBN27J0G0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Not only was it a terrorist event last Wednesday, possibly a superspreader event on top of it..

https://twitter.com/RepJayapal/status/1348871117407203328?s=19

I seen headlines the other day of a female Rep trying to hand out face masks to Republicans and being laughed at while they refuse to take a face mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,463 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

In order to run for president on a republican ticket, she would have to seek a party nomination...I would hope that is where her attempt would immediately fall

Do you need a nomination before the primaries though (i.e., in order to get onto the ballot in New Hampshire & Iowa and the other early voting states).
    Or is the 'nomination' you refer to what happens at Congress?
    Because I think if you've swept the primaries, they'd find it very difficult politically not to nominate you at Congress.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,666 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

While technically she can of course both run for and become POTUS, there are a number of issues that are going to go against her.

First is that she isn't her father. Whatever else can be said about Trump, he has a certain air about him, a confidence and a connection to people. Charisma. Ivanka doesn't have it. She has been PR to death. Ivanka is simply to stilted and robotic. SHe has tried to maintain this balance of being something to everyone. Which is fine when you are in the background.

She is a woman. It matters less than before no doubt, and Harris could be running so it might not be any issue, but it could count against her.

If the GOP decided that the best way to go forward is to drift away from Trump, which the signs point to, then Ivanka is going to find it very hard to be welcomed. Trump himself was nominated by Jeff Sessions, it won't be lost on GOP'ers that Sessions ended up losing badly out of that. WHo will want to be the first to put their hands up?

Depending on what happens legally over the next few years, the Trump name could very well be toxic. Not just Donald, but the whole Trump name.

Ivanka stood by when her father did what he did the last few years. She never stood in, never raised a question, never showed her opposition. She had nothing at all to say about the Covid catastrophe unfolding in front of her eyes.

Ivanka is simply to stilted and robotic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

This has been going on in the background for a couple of months. They aren't making their decision based on what happened at the Capitol on Wednesday.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonathanponciano/2020/11/03/deutsche-bank-eager-to-dump-340-million-in-loans-to-trump-businesses-after-election/?sh=1ffcc90423c0

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭Christy42

While technically she can of course both run for and become POTUS, there are a number of issues that are going to go against her.

First is that she isn't her father. Whatever else can be said about Trump, he has a certain air about him, a confidence and a connection to people. Charisma. Ivanka doesn't have it. She has been PR to death. Ivanka is simply to stilted and robotic. SHe has tried to maintain this balance of being something to everyone. Which is fine when you are in the background.

She is a woman. It matters less than before no doubt, and Harris could be running so it might not be any issue, but it could count against her.

If the GOP decided that the best way to go forward is to drift away from Trump, which the signs point to, then Ivanka is going to find it very hard to be welcomed. Trump himself was nominated by Jeff Sessions, it won't be lost on GOP'ers that Sessions ended up losing badly out of that. WHo will want to be the first to put their hands up?

Depending on what happens legally over the next few years, the Trump name could very well be toxic. Not just Donald, but the whole Trump name.

Ivanka stood by when her father did what he did the last few years. She never stood in, never raised a question, never showed her opposition. She had nothing at all to say about the Covid catastrophe unfolding in front of her eyes.

The issue with Ivanka vs Kamala isn't that people will vote for Harris over her. It is that it will naturally depress the Republican voting turnout without having as strong an effect on the more liberal Democrat base. Remember a strong theme of the Trump cult is talking about his role as a strong man, the peak of masculinity etc. etc.

Plus how hard is it to convince nazis to go out and vote for a Jewish woman? Nazis might not be the majority of the Republican party but they are significant enough to lose them an election if they don't vote.

Republicans seem to have little shot at winning the popular vote and really need a high turnout from their base to win the electoral college.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,871 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Don't try to convince us that you wouldn't want to date her if she was your daughter!

On a serious note, what have you observed in the last few years of US politics that would lead one to believe that US people tend to vote on ability? Within the parties there is probably some thought put into selecting candidates at some levels, but once the badge is applied, for major elections, that is what drives the majority of the votes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Christy42 wrote: »
    The issue with Ivanka vs Kamala isn't that people will vote for Harris over her. It is that it will naturally depress the Republican voting turnout without having as strong an effect on the more liberal Democrat base. Remember a strong theme of the Trump cult is talking about his role as a strong man, the peak of masculinity etc. etc.

Plus how hard is it to convince nazis to go out and vote for a Jewish woman? Nazis might not be the majority of the Republican party but they are significant enough to lose them an election if they don't vote.

Republicans seem to have little shot at winning the popular vote and really need a high turnout from their base to win the electoral college.

Without a dramatic change in their policies the GOP will never win the National popular vote again.

However the advantage conferred on them by the Electoral College increases each cycle - As more and more people move to the large urban centres and away from the largely Rural/Small town smaller states (population wise).

Statistical analysis shows that the Democrats need to win 52% of the National vote to get to a 50:50 chance of winning the White House.

The GOP are still in with a decent shot even if they lose the popular vote for ~4%, which is 5 or 6 million votes!!

So , they are utterly reliant on the White , Non College educated Rural voter.

They are essential for the GOP to take the smaller mid-western & southern States.

So for WH races at least , they will pander to that particular cohort heavily. And they LOVE Trump and all that he stands for.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,172 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Not only was it a terrorist event last Wednesday, possibly a superspreader event on top of it..

https://twitter.com/RepJayapal/status/1348871117407203328?s=19

I seen headlines the other day of a female Rep trying to hand out face masks to Republicans and being laughed at while they refuse to take a face mask.

If any Capitol employee, be they politicians or staff dies from Covid related illness in the next few weeks, it should be added to the 5 deaths so far from the storming.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Has any modern Presidential candidate not held any office prior to running? I don't think Ivanka is even remotely a viable 2024 candidate this late in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,871 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Has any modern Presidential candidate not held any office prior to running? I don't think Ivanka is even remotely a viable 2024 candidate this late in the game.

Does star of ratings topper "The Apprentice" count as holding office?

If not, then there was a recent one anyway

Other than Trump himself - No.

Every single one of them was a Governor, Senator or Congress Person.

At least for those winning the nomination , there have been several in the Primary phase though - Carly Fiorina for example in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Has any modern Presidential candidate not held any office prior to running?

Eh, Trump?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,005 ✭✭✭✭listermint

briany wrote: »
    If Donald Trump cannot run for the 2024 election, and the reason is not being in prison, dead, or otherwise incapacitated, then I would expect him to endorse either Ivanka or Don Jr. for Republican nominee.

Now, I fully agree with you on your opinion that Ivanka and Don Jr. are pretty much without charisma, and what attraction they do possess comes from their connections and money rather than emanating from their persons, and they would stand noooo chance of getting anywhere near a nomination - by themselves, but I would have to think that in the aforementioned case, they, and their dad, would make it perfectly clear that Don or Ivanka were proxy candidates, or as clear as they could without violating any statute which exists to prevent the practice. The message would be, "If you want 4 more years of Donald Trump, vote for me." Maybe not as blatant as that, but that would be the idea.

But even besides that, whoever wants to run for Republican nominee needs to court that Trump base, and this illustrates what a long shadow he's going to cast over the party, that his 'ideals' and potential endorsement will make or break candidates.

Not happening , the stink that's going to come off the trump name this year will be undeniable.

I fully expect people to forget or deny ever voting for him.

You will see walk backs all over the place. And I fully expect lids to be lifted everywhere on things that were surpressed by his lackeys in multiple departments.

Save this post we can review it as the secrets come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1348815908597362691

This will affect the Proud Boys in particular, who have used GFM to support and move a number of essentially professional rioters, guys who don't have to worry about losing jobs because less upfront PBs are sponsoring them.

Edit - though it's worth saying they've moved a lot of their fundraising lately to a "Christian" GoFundMe alternative platform recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,859 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Apart from Trump, no. Up until 2016 all campaigns were ran mainly on issues. Lee Atwater started the dirty tricks in the 84 election and they've become increasingly worse since then to the point where Trump didn't really need to run on issues. Just a few chants and catchphrases while slagging loads of people off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭briany

If Ivanka did run, she could use the slogan, "I'm Ivanka Trump, and I always do what my daddy tells me to."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement