Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump v Biden 2020,The insurrection (pt 6) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,535 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well howdy there internet people, it's Beau again

https://twitter.com/BeauTFC/status/1348998097452621824?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 13,488 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Christy42 wrote: »
    This reads like my point was wrong but I am going to stick with it anyway. Conviction may or may not happen. It will be a handy guide to see which Republicans are willing to accept a President inciting a nazi coup against his own government.

However it is on the Democrats to at least attempt to do the right thing which is to impeach him.

Well I just see it differently.

He's gone in a week. He's been abandoned by numerous allies. Gone of twitter. And above all, he lost the election.

The impeachment keeps him in the news for the next few days.

He's gone in a week. He's been abandoned by numerous allies. Gone of twitter. And above all, he lost the election.

If you think he wasn't going to be in the news ordinarily already, you are mistaken.

Not at all a reason to negotiate with terrorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,666 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Having been the instigator to an attempted insurrection while still being POTUS is going to keep him in the news regardless.

He isn't gone in a week, he merely leaves office in a week. But are you of the opinion that once a person moves then all crimes should simply be forgotten about?

That is a very odd way of thinking about the law. Is it just jobs, or does moving home count?

Trump went on for over 4 years about Obama committed crimes against him, which is weird since Obama had left office so surely his 'crimes' should have been just left there!

Its almost as if your position makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

So it turns out an impeachment won't stop Trump from running again nor will he lose his pension and other benefits.

So this is an unnecessary drama with just a few days left before he leaves.

Nah - the Impeachment is very important because at the trial in the Senate it will force the Republican Senators to either to show they support Law & Order by voting to convict or that they support a seditious President who incited an insurrection. It'll be revealing and therefore must go ahead.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/status/1349001087928344577?s=20

:)

A pardon is a legal acceptance/admission of guilt, and you waive your 5th amendment rights against self-incrimination related to those crimes. Pardons (especially blanket pardons) would put him and his family, his attorney Rudy Giuliani, etc. in great legal peril from the States, which would then be used overseas in relation to any crimes he committed upon others, eg. like if he defrauded Deutsche Bank. Roger Stone etc. were pardoned for the things they were convicted for - eg. lying to Congress, not blanket pardons, so Stone's 5th amendment protection is still largely intact, the only thing he's waived it for his the admission of lying to Congress, about things the DOJ already discovered were false.

Pardons also don't limit your liability to return fraudulently earned money/goods either. He could escape federal prison but he'd be ruined anyway, and subject to state criminal law.

It's looking more and more from the outside that Trump might actually take the cowards way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

He'd be in the news anyway.

What it does do, though, is keep the inappropriate reaction of the Republican Party in the news, and in the minds of people. It forces Republican lawmakers, members of the "party of law and order", the "party of democracy and freedom", the party that sees itself as personally embodying the whole spirit of the United States, to look at the actions of their President and publicly state whether they were legally appropriate or not.

This action isn't just about getting at Trump in the last few days of his dying term of office. It's about reminding Republicans, and the country and the world, that there are people in elected office that will stand by and let democracy be attacked without comment. People that will put party and partisan loyalty in the way of law and order, of defending democratic process, of doing what it right.

What Trump did was bad. But what other Republicans did to enable him, and are still doing to down-play his actions, is even worse. This isn't just a rogue President. This is a President who acted in a wholly unlawful and inappropriate way with the backing of a significant number of the elected officials in his party. This needs to be highlighted, and should never be forgotten.

The impeachment of Trump is about much more than just Trump.

So that Parler hack/data dump, the 70-80 Terabytes? That's not just the state of the website when it shutdown this week, that's every 'deleted' post ever made on the site, because the people running the site are fcuking idiots.

Parler’s site was a mess. Its public API used no authentication. When users deleted their posts, the site failed to remove the content and instead only added a delete flag to it. Oh, and each post carried a numerical ID that was incremented from the ID of the most recently published one.

The rookie code made it easy to automate the scraping, as this script—used by donk_enby’s archival team—demonstrates. As a result, massive numbers of posts that discussed the insurrection before, during, and after it was carried out will be preserved indefinitely so that they’re available to researchers, journalists, prosecutors, and others.

Another amateur mistake was Parler’s failure to scrub geolocations from images and videos posted online. Sites like Twitter and Google routinely remove such metadata from content posted by their users. The video files hosted on Parler, by contrast, were “raw,” meaning they still contained this information.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2021/01/parlers-amateur-coding-could-come-back-to-haunt-capitol-hill-rioters/

We're coming for you, assholes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭briany

Well the conviction seems highly unlikely.

My guess is that it depends on what Trump does. If we're to understand that Biden and the Democrats will wait at least 100 days before taking the impeachment forward to the Senate, then Trump has 100 days to at least declare his intention to run again in 2024 (although he may not be doing any actual campaigning, what with pending legal battles and possible lack of funding). And if he declares that, then he can spin Republicans daring to help convict him as deliberately trying to stop that from happening, and use it to rile up his base against the party. Sure, it might provide the Dems an easy enough win again in 2024, but Trump's crazy, and I think he would hold that gun to the head of the Reps if he thought it benefitted him personally.

Overheal wrote: »

Question,

How long until we get some parsing of the data in that dump and a summary of the findings? I don't think most of us fancy sifting through 70TB of material...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,705 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

As the self-claimed President of Law & Order, surely Trump would want anyone who incited insurrection to be tried to the full extent of the law in the appropriate forum for their actions.

Or, do you think he was just bullsh*tting about that claim to try to get votes from people who thought he was only referring to Black people?

briany wrote: »
    Question,

How long until we get some parsing of the data in that dump and a summary of the findings? I don't think most of us fancy sifting through 70TB of material...

It's already being done. How long is a piece of string?

How long is a piece of string?

70TB

• Registered Users Posts: 19,812 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Surprise surprise, Trump hasn't learned a ****ing thing..

https://twitter.com/EliStokols/status/1349012193765957633?s=19

• everlast75 wrote: »
    Surprise surprise, Trump hasn't learned a ****ing thing..

https://twitter.com/EliStokols/status/1349012193765957633?s=19

Fully expect him to double down and rile up the crowd in Texas so.

No doubt, in his mind he is the victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

For all the talk about censorship etc

There is absolutely nothing to stop Trump from holding a press conference as many times as he wants. He has chosen not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭randd1

For all the talk about censorship etc

There is absolutely nothing to stop Trump from holding a press conference as many times as he wants. He has chosen not to.

Yeah, exactly. There's nothing stopping him from saying what he wants. No law has been changed.

What bull**** he said last year he can say again tomorrow. He has not been silenced or censored in any way. He's as free now as he ever was.

I can't understand how people don't get that and equate twitter policy to actual legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭radia

tigger123 wrote: »
    How many (estimate) would be required from the Republican side to actually achieve impeachment?
    astrofool wrote: »
    16 isn't it? (66 total needed).
    Correct, no way 16 GOP senators vote to impeach him. Will be lucky to get 8. Loads there for a criminal conviction after.

But the Dems don't actually need 16 Republicans to switch if some don't turn up. As can be seen from Overheal's previous post (colour added for emphasis), what's needed for conviction is a two-thirds supermajority of those present, not two-thirds of the full Senate membership. So if some Republican Senators could be persuaded not to turn up (say, because they were self-isolating or had urgent business out of town)...
    The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two-thirds of the Members present. Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States; but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,593 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Could Trump face charges?

The DC AG thinks so.

https://twitter.com/funder/status/1348710813842997248?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

randd1 wrote: »
    Yeah, exactly. There's nothing stopping him from saying what he wants. No law has been changed.

What bull**** he said last year he can say again tomorrow. He has not been silenced or censored in any way. He's as free now as he ever was.

I can't understand how people don't get that and equate twitter policy to actual legislation.

And of course, he can claim his right to free speech was taken away by Twitter, and that is a handy tool in his holster.

If he had his own media platform to blurt out inanities, the tradeoff would be that he has gone Big Brother.

His silence the past week has been a convenient way of passing himself off the victim.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 19,812 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Could Trump face charges?

The DC AG thinks so.

https://twitter.com/funder/status/1348710813842997248?s=19

State and federal.

If he wants to avoid the latter, he needs a pardon.

If he needs a pardon, it is safer that Pence give it to him as self pardons are not clear.

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1349017619890905090?s=20

*this just in - the bloke that was impeached for a call that he said was perfect, thinks that the speech he gave which caused a riot was "appropriate"

I'm saying it now - the more Trump doubles down on this kind of speak, the more pressure McConnell will be under to neuter him. The closer it gets to the 20th, the more pressure McConnell will be under to do something lest there be a repeat of the 6th and the reps will have been seen to do nothing.

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1349017587368263680?s=20

I expect a Nixon-esque ending to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

70TB

Found Nancy pelosi boards account..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

everlast75 wrote: »

I have to wonder the press treatment and Trump's response if it had been he who'd committed the illegal acts comprising the Watergate scandal.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

everlast75 wrote: »
    State and federal.

If he wants to avoid the latter, he needs a pardon.

If he needs a pardon, it is safer that Pence give it to him as self pardons are not clear.

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1349017619890905090?s=20

*this just in - the bloke that was impeached for a call that he said was perfect, thinks that the speech he gave which caused a riot was "appropriate"

I'm saying it now - the more Trump doubles down on this kind of speak, the more pressure McConnell will be under to neuter him. The closer it gets to the 20th, the more pressure McConnell will be under to do something lest there be a repeat of the 6th and the reps will have been seen to do nothing.

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1349017587368263680?s=20

The problem he now faces is that if he accepts a Pardon (or pardons himself) covering the incident on the 6th or a blanket pardon covering his time in Office, that is an admission of guilt.

If he admits guilt, then people will go to town on him via Civil Suits , he can't claim innocence , it just becomes a matter of how much it costs him.

Anyone injured on the day can sue him for inciting the riot that caused their injury (or death in the case of the Police Officer).

I'm sure even some people not injured could sue him for putting them at risk etc. etc.

He is well and truly stuck between a rock and a hard place.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I have to wonder the press treatment and Trump's response if it had been he who'd committed the illegal acts comprising the Watergate scandal.

Nixons activities were just an average Wednesday afternoon in the Trump admin.

The stuff Nixon did is positively quaint compared to the utter lawless kip that Trump has turned the office of President into.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭swampgas

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    The problem he now faces is that if he accepts a Pardon (or pardons himself) covering the incident on the 6th or a blanket pardon covering his time in Office, that is an admission of guilt.

If he admits guilt, then people will go to town on him via Civil Suits , he can't claim innocence , it just becomes a matter of how much it costs him.

Anyone injured on the day can sue him for inciting the riot that caused their injury (or death in the case of the Police Officer).

I'm sure even some people not injured could sue him for putting them at risk etc. etc.

He is well and truly stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Speculating, at this point I can see only 2 options:
    1. Go all out to complete the coup and install himself as de facto dictator
    2. Escape from the US to a safe haven
    He can try the first and fall back on the second if he has an escape route planned out. I would also suspect that he has managed to transfer as much cash as possible to where it cannot be seized by the authorities.

He is too old to risk prison - he's got to go all in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,666 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

And the thing that must be really driving him mad, is that like the election loss itself, this is all on him.

Had he simply accepted the loss, acted with some degree of pride, he would have walked away from the WH, richer, pardon in hand, and 74m willing to pay into whatever get rich scheme he dreamt up. He basically had a licence to print money. Even if he had to stay out of the limelight somewhat, the path was set for the likes of Ivanka or Don Jr to push ahead.

Instead, he fecked it all in a failed attempt to overturn the result. Yet again Trump makes a bad decision. It is actually quite staggering to me that he made it as far in life as he did since nearly every decision he makes ends up a disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,454 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Leroy42 wrote: »
    And the thing that must be really driving him mad, is that like the election loss itself, this is all on him.

Had he simply accepted the loss, acted with some degree of pride, he would have walked away from the WH, richer, pardon in hand, and 74m willing to pay into whatever get rich scheme he dreamt up. He basically had a licence to print money. Even if he had to stay out of the limelight somewhat, the path was set for the likes of Ivanka or Don Jr to push ahead.

Instead, he fecked it all in a failed attempt to overturn the result. Yet again Trump makes a bad decision. It is actually quite staggering to me that he made it as far in life as he did since nearly every decision he makes ends up a disaster.

Well he did blow all his daddy's money

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement