Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump v Biden 2020,The insurrection (pt 6) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,859 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Nixons activities were just an average Wednesday afternoon in the Trump admin.

The stuff Nixon did is positively quaint compared to the utter lawless kip that Trump has turned the office of President into.

Well Nixon did commit treason before he even got into office. Told the South Vietnamese to reject the peace deal because they'd get a better deal when he got in. Many US soldiers died as a result. There were about 300 dying a week at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,811 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Leroy42 wrote: »
    And the thing that must be really driving him mad, is that like the election loss itself, this is all on him.

Had he simply accepted the loss, acted with some degree of pride, he would have walked away from the WH, richer, pardon in hand, and 74m willing to pay into whatever get rich scheme he dreamt up. He basically had a licence to print money. Even if he had to stay out of the limelight somewhat, the path was set for the likes of Ivanka or Don Jr to push ahead.

Instead, he fecked it all in a failed attempt to overturn the result. Yet again Trump makes a bad decision. It is actually quite staggering to me that he made it as far in life as he did since nearly every decision he makes ends up a disaster.

Narcissists always self destruct

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

And the thing that must be really driving him mad, is that like the election loss itself, this is all on him.

Had he simply accepted the loss, acted with some degree of pride, he would have walked away from the WH, richer, pardon in hand, and 74m willing to pay into whatever get rich scheme he dreamt up. He basically had a licence to print money. Even if he had to stay out of the limelight somewhat, the path was set for the likes of Ivanka or Don Jr to push ahead.

Instead, he fecked it all in a failed attempt to overturn the result. Yet again Trump makes a bad decision. It is actually quite staggering to me that he made it as far in life as he did since nearly every decision he makes ends up a disaster.

Have a watch of the Fyre Festival documentary on Netflix if you haven't already. A fascinating look into how much someone can do through sheer spoofing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,454 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

The Nal wrote: »
    Well Nixon did commit treason before he even got into office. Told the South Vietnamese to reject the peace deal because they'd get a better deal when he got in. Many US soldiers died as a result. There were about 300 dying a week at that point.

Virtually the same amount die every hour by trump's inept handling of the coronavirus

• Registered Users Posts: 14,030 ✭✭✭✭briany

swampgas wrote: »
    Speculating, at this point I can see only 2 options:
    1. Go all out to complete the coup and install himself as de facto dictator
    2. Escape from the US to a safe haven
    He can try the first and fall back on the second if he has an escape route planned out. I would also suspect that he has managed to transfer as much cash as possible to where it cannot be seized by the authorities.

He is too old to risk prison - he's got to go all in now.

He hasn't the resources to complete a coup. The military won't back him.

If I were Trump I'd go straight for the safe haven idea. Obviously, I'd want to see him brought to justice, but if I were Trump...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

That guy is in that Jayden X video throughout, and he is especially violent and confrontational, he seems to be on speed, or just plain mentally challenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Cruz and Hawley could end up on no fly lists according to this!
    House Homeland Security Committee Chair Rep. Bennie Thompson has said Senators Ted Cruz (R-TX) and Josh Hawley (R-MO) could be put on the no-fly list if they're found liable for inciting the riot at the Capitol that left five people dead.

https://www.newsweek.com/ted-cruz-josh-hawley-no-fly-list-house-homeland-security-chair-1560748

• Registered Users Posts: 34,002 ✭✭✭✭listermint

British Golf Open now following the PGA, no competitions at trump properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It was a few months ago I first saw an analysis on Twitter about how when Trump is presented with options, he always picks the bad one. Without fail. The only time he ever does the right thing is when he has not other choice.

Once you see it, you can't unsee it. It's quite incredible.

If you ever think to yourself, "Trump will do the smart thing here now, he has to", but there is another option on the table - he will take that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

This man is absolutely deluded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,534 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

seamus wrote: »
    It was a few months ago I first saw an analysis on Twitter about how when Trump is presented with options, he always picks the bad one. Without fail. The only time he ever does the right thing is when he has not other choice.

If you ever think to yourself, "Trump will do the smart thing here now, he has to", but there is another option on the table - he will take that option.

... he’s going to pardon himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

everlast75 wrote: »
    State and federal.

If he wants to avoid the latter, he needs a pardon.

If he needs a pardon, it is safer that Pence give it to him as self pardons are not clear.

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1349017619890905090?s=20

*this just in - the bloke that was impeached for a call that he said was perfect, thinks that the speech he gave which caused a riot was "appropriate"

I'm saying it now - the more Trump doubles down on this kind of speak, the more pressure McConnell will be under to neuter him. The closer it gets to the 20th, the more pressure McConnell will be under to do something lest there be a repeat of the 6th and the reps will have been seen to do nothing.

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1349017587368263680?s=20

I expect a Nixon-esque ending to this.

I expect bloodshed tbh

Overheal wrote: »
    ... he’s going to pardon himself.

He may not be able to

https://twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/status/1349001087928344577

duploelabs wrote: »
    Virtually the same amount die every hour by trump's inept handling of the coronavirus

Being inept isn't treasonous though.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,534 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Wouldn’t stop him from trying though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Thats last part, about Trump throwing a hissy and not pardoning anyone else if he cant have one, must be making a lot of his cohort sweating, his family included. I bet a few of them were banking on a full pardon to wash away any fallout from their actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,882 ✭✭✭✭Penn

PropJoe10 wrote: »

This man is absolutely deluded.

Well that puts rest to the GOPers "He's learned his lesson from this" argument for not impeaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,882 ✭✭✭✭Penn

He can, its just a really really bad decision for him.

So he probably will.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1349020186427457537

The town of Alamo has not been officially contacted about the president coming for dinner.

Internally a mess, he seems to have stayed out of a more wars than many recent presidents. John Bolton left the administration is disgust, and this is despite the fact that Trump was playing the bully boy with Iran. Presumably Bolton wanted a war.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭threeball

Thats gas. He's taking his ball and going home :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭threeball

Putin has to be rolling around in fits of laughter. He could not have seen his puppet being this effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

The US really needs to take a good long look at the whole 'Pardon' system. I mean else does that? Dictators and Kings?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,726 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The US really needs to take a good long look at the whole 'Pardon' system. I mean else does that? Dictators and Kings?

Ireland.
    The right of pardon and the power to commute or remit punishment imposed by any court exercising criminal jurisdiction are hereby vested in the President, but such power of commutation or remission may also be conferred by law on other authorities.

The power of clemency is nominally exercised by the president. However, the President of Ireland must act "on the advice" of the Government (cabinet), so in practice the clemency decisions are made by the government of the day and the president has no discretion in the matter. The responsibility can also be delegated to people or bodies other than the president.

Amnesty and immunity, on the other hand, are usually dealt with by an Act of the Oireachtas rather than by a general form of pardon or a slate of individual pardons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,030 ✭✭✭✭briany

I don't think anyone ever seriously foresaw the system being potentially abused the way Trump could do.

threeball wrote: »
    Putin has to be rolling around in fits of laughter. He could not have seen his puppet being this effective.

Except that's an equally crazy conspiracy theory like the Republican lie about this election.

But Putin is probably falling about laughing, as is Xi. The US is clearly doomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

This is so true and yet to this very day there are people who legitimately think he some kind of genius ('4D chess master') just because of stupidity by others or pure dumb luck things now and again work out for him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1349020186427457537

The town of Alamo has not been officially contacted about the president coming for dinner.

Please let it be Alamo Rent A Car that he's visiting to make the perfect link back to Four Seasons Landscaping.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,666 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Internally a mess, he seems to have stayed out of a more wars than many recent presidents. John Bolton left the administration is disgust, and this is despite the fact that Trump was playing the bully boy with Iran. Presumably Bolton wanted a war.

I always found this an odd argument from the right. The military is revered in the US. Trump made a massive deal out of failure of NFL players and like failing to respect the flag and the military.

Everyone, including those in the US, understand that much of the power of the US comes form the threat of military action. They spread $750bn a year, well ahead of many of the other countries combined.

Yet all of a sudden, a true metric of a POTUS is that he doesn't get involved in foreign conflicts? Don't get me wrong, I agree with the sentiment, I just don't believe they actually believe it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

briany wrote: »
    I don't think anyone ever seriously foresaw the system being potentially abused the way Trump could do.

I think people saw that he'd try it, but we hoped that the system would have spotted what was being done and called a halt to his messing sooner. Each step along the way though people assumed that was as crazy as he'd get and there wasn't any reason to clip his wings as he'd learnt his lesson and would behave like a normal person by tomorrow... Except he never did.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement