Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump v Biden 2020,The insurrection (pt 6) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

yagan wrote: »

Donny's priority now is to protect his brand and to do that he has to turn on those he most inspired. I can't see forbearance from his loyalists for his betrayal lasting long.
    But now he's turning on his very last remaining potential customers/ funders. They also have guns and experience at rioting whilst wearing silly racoon outfits.

He can't win whatever he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,663 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Trump has sold out his base at nearly every opportunity, it never makes them rethink their support.

He was going to lock HC up, but then just forgot about it. He was going to drain the swamp, but then never bothered.

He gave massive tax cuts to the elites, completely against what he had promised.

There is nothing he could do to alienate them, because he really is the only option they have. And they have invested too much into it at this stage.

So this video will be glossed over. They will ignore the vast majority of what he said and pick up on a few key phrases. He didn't say they were wrong, he didn't tell them that Biden was the real POTUS from 20th. He only said that the violence was wrong. So everything up to that is perfectly fine, perfectly acceptable. They are right to believe the vote was stoeln. They are right to believe that Biden is a communist. They are right to believe that Deep State is out to get them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Until this point though any failings by Trump hasn't been specifically blamed on his supporters. They weren't blamed for the lack of Hillary Clinton being locked up, or the building of the wall, or making Mexico pay or the lack of the new health care plan.

This time it is actually their fault, presumably for not loving him enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭yagan

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Trump has sold out his base at nearly every opportunity, it never makes them rethink their support.

He was going to lock HC up, but then just forgot about it. He was going to drain the swamp, but then never bothered.

He gave massive tax cuts to the elites, completely against what he had promised.

There is nothing he could do to alienate them, because he really is the only option they have. And they have invested too much into it at this stage.

So this video will be glossed over. They will ignore the vast majority of what he said and pick up on a few key phrases. He didn't say they were wrong, he didn't tell them that Biden was the real POTUS from 20th. He only said that the violence was wrong. So everything up to that is perfectly fine, perfectly acceptable. They are right to believe the vote was stoeln. They are right to believe that Biden is a communist. They are right to believe that Deep State is out to get them.
    That was all fine when it was shíts and giggles for Donald, but now the mob he created have the feds taking names, banging on doors and applying handcuffs he's telling them that he won't be in their corner. Worse, he now tells them that they're the traitors.

It's a hard thing for anyone to admit that they've been had, but it's impossible to escape the truth when you're rotting in a cell while the mob instigator walks free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭randd1

That was all fine when it was shíts and giggles for Donald, but now the mob he created have the feds taking names, banging on doors and applying handcuffs he's telling them that he won't be in their corner. Worse, he now tells them that they're the traitors.

It's a hard thing for anyone to admit that they've been had, but it's impossible to escape the truth when you're rotting in a cell while the mob instigator walks free.

They won't. They'll just devolve further into the conspiracy that the Deep State is out to get them, with their incarceration being proof the Federal Government, and in particular the Democrats, are out to get them.

Expect a huge surge in gun sales and ammunition in the next few months as the conspiracy becomes truth, and other republicans like Cruz and Hawley start trying to fill the void left by Trump by laying down even more baseless lies to his gullible supporters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,801 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

True, but how many of his supporters will end up in jail? A tiny fraction.

Meanwhile, the rest will continue to exist in echo chambers. And here's proof Trump's radicalism has truly come to america....

https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/1349691813695811585?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Hopefully, when all the stories and proofs come out over the next few years about his profiteering and the truth about all how all his friends he put in office profited from his term and all the corruption comes out he will drop in popularity. But the GOP have to distance themselves from him pretty damn sharpish.

I mean he is always going to have a vocal and rabid cult following but hopefully ACTUAL Republicans will start seeing him for what he is. Not a Republican, just a Trump who used the Republican party as a tool.

.... I mean, we can hope..... right?

Hopefully, when all the stories and proofs come out over the next few years about his profiteering and the truth about all how all his friends he put in office profited from his term and all the corruption comes out he will drop in popularity. But the GOP have to distance themselves from him pretty damn sharpish.

I mean he is always going to have a vocal and rabid cult following but hopefully ACTUAL Republicans will start seeing him for what he is. Not a Republican, just a Trump who used the Republican party as a tool.

.... I mean, we can hope..... right?

it is clear that republican congress members will only do what is in their own personal interests.

They have no conscience whatsoever.

So if the numbers say support Trump, that's what they will do.

The only other consideration other than self preservation is fear of Trump and his supporters. If Trump tells them to hara-kiri, then they will do that.

With Trump neutered somewhat from social media, the second concern may not be as much of an issue. We will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I just read that and watched the video. In true Donny fashion, it wasn't even cryptic at all. He literally says "No true supporter of mine would ever endorse violence". Hilarious.
    To give him some (probably undeserved) credit, I don't actually believe that he condones or supports violence in general. I think he's far too narcissistic to even contemplate that his words and actions would incite violence of that nature - in other words, I don't think he put any thought at all into how they'd react or what the consequences of that would be. He has utter contempt for his supporters and sees them as nothing more than a means to get what he wants.

I don't think he cares anyone died, cares they put people in danger or cares about the fallout other than how it impacts him.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

everlast75 wrote: »
    it is clear that republican congress members will only do what is in their own personal interests.

The only other consideration other than self preservation is fear of Trump and his supporters. If Trump tells them to hara-kiri, then they will do that.

With Trump neutered somewhat from social media, the second concern may not be as much of an issue. We will see.

This encapsulates the Modern GOP in a nut-shell.

Their ONLY concern is obtaining power and keeping it.

If Trump is how they do that then they are perfectly fine with that.

If destroying American democracy is how they do that then they are perfectly fine with that.

All politicians are self-serving to some extent or other , but the GOP are a whole different breed.

What we now know with certainty is that there is absolutely nothing they will not say or do to retain power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭briany

I just read that and watched the video. In true Donny fashion, it wasn't even cryptic at all. He literally says "No true supporter of mine would ever endorse violence". Hilarious.

From the man who brought you, "If you see somebody getting ready to throw a tomato, knock the crap out of them, would you?"

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I think that deep down we all knew that Biden could not become the next president without rioting (to some extent) and a few fatalities.

I believe it is highly probable that there will be some more violence, or worse still a shoot out between the authorities and armed Trump supporters :(

Hopefully I am wrong.

Well, yeah, that's what I mean. No party is going to change their opinions based on purely altruistic reasons.

That was my thought. That, as scandals start being unearthed, the GOP will distance themselves from him and what he stood for. Simply based on public perception. As the stories come out, the GOP will wish to say "This is not us. This is HIM! We are the new and improved GOP. He does not represent the GOP". I don't envy their PR/rebranding people but hey, they knew who they were getting into bed with.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

To give him some (probably undeserved) credit, I don't actually believe that he condones or supports violence in general. I think he's far too narcissistic to even contemplate that his words and actions would incite violence of that nature - in other words, I don't think he put any thought at all into how they'd react or what the consequences of that would be. He has utter contempt for his supporters and sees them as nothing more than a means to get what he wants.

I don't think he cares anyone died, cares they put people in danger or cares about the fallout other than how it impacts him.

you're right, you are giving him undeserved credit.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That is the centre of his entire world view.

He ONLY cares about how things impact him or how they make him look.

He doesn't actually care about anyone or anything - They are "things" that make him look good or feel good , that is all.

2011 wrote: »
    I think that deep down we all knew that Biden could not become the next president without rioting (to some extent) and a few fatalities.

I believe it is highly probable that there will be some more violence, or worse still a shoot out between the authorities and armed Trump supporters :(

Hopefully I am wrong.
    Trumps denouncement of his insurrectionist followers may hopefully deflate some of the rage he helped create, but there's probably militant cells with plans already in motion.

Prior to last nights denouncement of his insurgents I was expecting there to be attempts to declare states for Trump by taking over capital buildings, but insurrection plans are probably already too far advanced for the most militantly motivated to back out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭briany

Trumps denouncement of his insurrectionist followers may hopefully deflate some of the rage he helped create, but there's probably militant cells with plans already in motion.

It would not surprise me if there was already a conspiracy theory that, during the address, Trump was blinking in morse code to communicate his real message.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    This encapsulates the Modern GOP in a nut-shell.

Their ONLY concern is obtaining power and keeping it.

If Trump is how they do that then they are perfectly fine with that.

If destroying American democracy is how they do that then they are perfectly fine with that.

All politicians are self-serving to some extent or other , but the GOP are a whole different breed.

What we now know with certainty is that there is absolutely nothing they will not say or do to retain power.

It doesn't matter to GOP voters what Trump does - he was right in saying that he could go out and shoot someone and they'd still vote for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,226 ✭✭✭threeball

It doesn't matter to GOP voters what Trump does - he was right in saying that he could go out and shoot someone and they'd still vote for him.

He could become more popular depending on who he shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

True, but how many of his supporters will end up in jail? A tiny fraction.

Meanwhile, the rest will continue to exist in echo chambers. And here's proof Trump's radicalism has truly come to america....

https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/1349691813695811585?s=19

A tiny fraction of Trump's overall vote share but despite my serious issues with the two tier US law enforcement system I'd be shocked if there were not significant numbers of those charged (over 100 and counting) that spend some time in jail. I'd be concerned if we were dealing with a Trump DOJ but Biden's will go to town on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

IMO, in four minutes Tom McClintock (Ca) sums up the sorry state of affairs in the US at the moment and what is to come. The only honesty since the 6th. The very people who contradict such an obvious statement act in bad faith.

https://twitter.com/willchamberlain/status/1349462585226231811

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

briany wrote: »
    It would not surprise me if there was already a conspiracy theory that, during the address, Trump was blinking in morse code to communicate his real message.

It's always amusing seeing conspiracy theories develop in real-time, as they are particularly bonkers in that kind of setting.

In general what I'm seeing is that the violence in the Capitol was Antifa led (some 'patriots' were there, but misguided), while initially it was suggested that the women who was shot was a crisis actor, this was rejected by the majority when her videos came to light.

I'm also seeing that the video of Trump (I think the first one after the storming of the Capitol) was deepfake ... with his most recent videos, however, I think most of them are just going in to a sulk. A complete rejection of the Republican Party seems to be popular, which would be a particularly pleasing result, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

IMO, in four minutes Tom McClintock (Ca) sums up the sorry state of affairs in the US at the moment and what is to come. The only honesty since the 6th. The very people who contradict such an obvious statement act in bad faith.

Yeah, no thanks.

It's always amusing seeing conspiracy theories develop in real-time, as they are particularly bonkers in that kind of setting.

In general what I'm seeing is that the violence in the Capitol was Antifa led (some 'patriots' were there, but misguided), while initially it was suggested that the women who was shot was a crisis actor, this was rejected by the majority when her videos came to light.

I'm also seeing that the video of Trump (I think the first one after the storming of the Capitol) was deepfake ... with his most recent videos, however, I think most of them are just going in to a sulk. A complete rejection of the Republican Party seems to be popular, which would be a particularly pleasing result, imo.

Well, I'm not a conspiracy theorist and they are welcome to their tinfoil hats. I really cannot understand them. But his first "denouncement" address (Not the "We Love You" address) the mannerisms and tone do indeed look more like a parody than the real deal. He just looks weird. Heavily medicated I suppose.

Yeah, no thanks.

You didn't miss much: "I didn't like what he said....... BUT"

What you'd expect

Disingenuous or delusional - that's all that's remains.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I wonder when Trumps pardon list will land, the days are running out now. One man who is desperate to be on it is rapper Lil Wayne, he endorsed Trump before the election no doubt in a quid pro quo to get a pardon. He was arrested on his private jet with a gold plated Glock, coke, heroin and amphetamines and it wasnt his first offence. His sentencing date is Jan 28th so if Trump doesnt come through for him he is looking at around 10 years in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,305 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I see the true MAGA believers online reckon Trump is still going to be inaugurated on the 20th January. They are claiming Trump is going to make an address to the world no less and all the Democrats including Joe Biden and Mike Pence will be arrested on live TV at the inauguration after which Trump will be sworn in. Batshit crazy stuff.

Well, I'm not a conspiracy theorist and they are welcome to their tinfoil hats. I really cannot understand them. But his first "denouncement" address (Not the "We Love You" address) the mannerisms and tone do indeed look more like a parody than the real deal. He just looks weird. Heavily medicated I suppose.

He's reading from a carefully drafted script sculpted to dig a ditch between him and any further violence. This isn't one of his usually unhinged diverging ramblings because this time he personally stands to lose his entire business empire.

The people he's denouncing are the very type that he wouldn't allow in Mar A Lago, so he feels zero about plunging the knife into them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,305 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I wonder when Trumps pardon list will land, the days are running out now. One man who is desperate to be on it is rapper Lil Wayne, he endorsed Trump before the election no doubt in a quid pro quo to get a pardon. He was arrested on his private jet with a gold plated Glock, coke, heroin and amphetamines and it wasnt his first offence. His sentencing date is Jan 28th so if Trump doesnt come through for him he is looking at around 10 years in prison.

The reports are that Trump has been told by his advisors that he can't pardon himself because it would open him to massive civil cases. As Trump only thinks of himself his attitude will likely be: if there's no pardon for me, then there's no pardon for anyone else.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement