Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump v Biden 2020,The insurrection (pt 6) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

J. Marston wrote: »
    What online rabbit hole do Irish people fall down that makes them convert to the MAGA cult?

Fúcking baffles me.

I think a lot of it is just to be a contrarian/edge lord, and parroting any mental theory that helps with that.

Overheal wrote: »
    I assume a lot of it started on 4chan

My oldest friend has become an avid 4chan user. He's now a trump supporter and holocaust denier amongst other things. Really sad to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

My oldest friend has become an avid 4chan user. He's now a trump supporter and holocaust denier amongst other things. Really sad to see.

What’s the actual line on denying the Holocaust? Is it that it was exaggerated or not because of their religion etc or do they simply claim it never happened and there is just no story?
    It’s amazing the things people will believe really but I’ve seen so much guff posted by people here that I know some people will just believe pretty much anything if it’s from a source they want to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

salmocab wrote: »
    What’s the actual line on denying the Holocaust? Is it that it was exaggerated or not because of their religion etc or do they simply claim it never happened and there is just no story?
    It’s amazing the things people will believe really but I’ve seen so much guff posted by people here that I know some people will just believe pretty much anything if it’s from a source they want to believe.

Cheerful Spring of this parish does, or use to do, a line in holocaust denalism. There was lots of different angles to chip away at it if I recall. One was a numbers game and that Jews disappearing from Europe could be accounted for with migration and another was to do with the amount of gas stored on the walls of the crematoriums or some such. There was a thread on Holocaust denial in the Conspiracy Theories forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

If hes gone that far down the hole im gonna guess hes actually downgraded even further to 8chan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,798 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I suppose there what holocaust deniers, COVID deniers, and Trump supporters all have in common is a willingness to overlook the blatant truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Is it in the public interest for the federal government to prosecute somebody who fomented insurrection? Yes, yes it is. and the comparison with Nixon is ridiculous.

An awful lot of pearl clutching and hyperbole in abundance. Pragmatism will win out.

It was a small mob of right wing loonies. Honestly, people have lost of perspective.

Insurrection my ass.

briany wrote: »
    If we want to pursue this line of reasoning to its conclusion then you can never prosecute an outgoing president like Trump, with the following he has, no matter what he did because it's just too politically volatile.

Do we want the lesson to be that if you can cultivate a cult of personality then you are de facto untouchable? Because if that's the lesson, I'm sure there are those taking notes.

If he hadn't instigated the putsch of Jan 6th, I'd be inclined to agree that it isn't worth prosecuting him if agrees to go and live quietly, but I think he really crossed a line, and we know he crossed a line because all but the most ardent wingnuts cannot defend what he and his followers did. I think if you don't draw that line then others will come along who'll just keep pushing and pushing and pushing.

A small rag tag mob of loonies and misfits coupled with a completely unprepared police force is now being compared to a putsch. You give them far far too much credence. Honest to God...give me patience.

As I said above, pearl clutch and preach from the high horse all you want but you will find over the coming months is that when the dust settles this will be quietly shelved, lessons learned and Washington will move on.

I would love to see Trump et al frog marched into a courthouse in a jumpsuit and then his mug shot published but I am willing to bet my mortgage that it will never happen. All this big talk is just that- big talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

J. Marston wrote: »
    What online rabbit hole do Irish people fall down that makes them convert to the MAGA cult?

Fúcking baffles me.

Lot of them are quite lonely I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Donny-Two-Times.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

magma69 wrote: »

Im quite certain the venn diagram of incels and 8chan users shows just a single circle

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Just when you thought the Rudi & Trump story couldn't possibly get any weirder

Seriously - This is just really really weird and disturbing

It's a Video of Rudi , dressed as a woman , with Trump Motorboating him...

Rudi was running against HRC for Senator for New York in 2000 and this apparently was his attempt to "win over the gay vote"!?!?!?!?
    In March of 2000 at an annual charity event in New York City, Giuliani appeared on stage in drag in what a campaign official would later describe as a ploy to attract the gay vote.

In March of 2000 at an annual charity event in New York City, Giuliani appeared on stage in drag in what a campaign official would later describe as a ploy to attract the gay vote.

Jesus Christ, words fail me...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Quin_Dub wrote: »

Rudi was running against HRC for Senator for New York in 2000 and this apparently was his attempt to "win over the gay vote"!?!?!?!?

*BLINKS* *BLINKS*

• Registered Users Posts: 15,663 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Another example of the John Oliver piece from the Late SHow was spot on. Guiliani hasn't really changed that much, just that he has increased the levels of craziness.

I would think that Trump and Guiliani spur each other on and that being so close to the ultimate power has driven Guiliani to believe his own rhetoric

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

magma69 wrote: »
    VinLieger wrote: »
    Im quite certain the venn diagram of incels and 8chan users shows just a single circle
    I reckon a fair few are on the spectrum as well.

Trump got 46.8% of the vote. That's not far short of half of America voting for him. Are they all nuts?

That article is 2 years old. An article about an event that was 21 years ago but yeah...bloody hell.

He claims the numbers are vastly overstated. A few hundred thousand rather than millions. Its a big conspiracy to keep Jews in control of the world; be it bankers or Hollywood. It starts from the position that every media outlet is lying. The only trustworthy thing you can read is 4chan apparently. I can't get my head around that one. I can post whatever nonsense I want on 4chan. Every other outlet has a nefarious globalist agenda.

Once you believe every media outlet is a lie, you start doubting every institution. If everything is a lie, then what you choose to believe doesn't really matter. It's all about what seems reasonable to you. It's conspiracy theory nonsense at its finest. He obviously doubts covid too. He's gone from not believing it exists but settled on the response being a global conspiracy to shrink economies.

The entire story of the holocaust is made up to demonise the nazis. History is written by the victors. Both sides are just as bad apparently. He'll point to concentration camps in the US to house Japanese immigrants. Just because both sides did some dubious things, doesn't make the holocaust a lie. He'll keep spouting these random internet sources, but how can those sources be trusted if everything is a lie in the first place.

I didn't really push back that hard against this stuff because I was kinda in shock. I calmly asked him for a source. One was a film called "The Greatest Story Never Told", which is a 5 hour long nazi fever dream about how great Hitler is. I couldn't stomach more than 15 mins.

He gets very heated when it comes to anything politics related so I've never argued this specific subject, as I also know **** all about WW2. It comes down to that I trust expertise, I believe historians and immunologists. I haven't proven gravity exists but I trust physicists. I don't go to a plumber if I need a dentist. He believes any institution is all lies to push some Jewish agenda.

It's really sad tbh. I've lost sleep over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,663 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Trump got 46.8% of the vote. That's not far short of half of America voting for him. Are they all nuts?

Not at all. But he didn't get 48.6%, Trump only got a certain portion of that.

A very large portion of that was GOP votes. They would vote for Nixon today is given the chance.

But a very large % of the vote that was directly for him would, if not nuts, have been taken in by the constant stream of misinformation and lies. We see it as totally removed from reality, to them it is the only reality.

We were talking about Irish supporters of Trump/ 4chan users, weren't we?

• Advertisement

We were talking about Irish supporters of Trump/ 4chan users, weren't we?

We were. Deflection is a classic Trumpflake tactic.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That article is 2 years old. An article about an event that was 21 years ago but yeah...bloody hell.

Oh I know..

The Video began doing the rounds again in the last few days , I guess in response to the news of Trump stiffing Rudi for the bill on his legal fees.

I suppose it shows that Rudi was always a bit "off" , I mean dressing in drag to attract the gay vote????? WTF?!

You'd be better off cutting him loose if he's that far down the rabbit hole. No point losing sleep over the behaviour of someone else if it doesn't affect you directly. I've enough headaches from various family members to be bothered inviting that sort of drama in from friends.

Yes, no, all of the above, none of the above.
    It can be a mistake to try too hard to understand the thought processes behind such nonsense because they don't follow any kind of logic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 AnthonyBoyle

I know **** all about WW2. It comes down to that I trust expertise, I believe historians and immunologists. I haven't proven gravity exists but I trust physicists. I don't go to a plumber if I need a dentist. He believes any institution is all lies to push some Jewish agenda.

The significant part is in bold.

He claims the numbers are vastly overstated. A few hundred thousand rather than millions. Its a big conspiracy to keep Jews in control of the world; be it bankers or Hollywood. It starts from the position that every media outlet is lying. The only trustworthy thing you can read is 4chan apparently. I can't get my head around that one. I can post whatever nonsense I want on 4chan. Every other outlet has a nefarious globalist agenda.

Once you believe every media outlet is a lie, you start doubting every institution. If everything is a lie, then what you choose to believe doesn't really matter. It's all about what seems reason or to you. It's conspiracy theory nonsense at its finest. He obviously doubts covid too. He's gone from not believing it exists but settled on the response being a global conspiracy to shrink economies.

The entire story of the holocaust is made up to demonise the nazis. History is written by the victors. Both sides are just as bad apparently. He'll point to concentration camps in the US to house Japanese immigrants. Just because both sides did some dubious things doesn't make the holocaust a lie. He'll keep spouting these random internet sources but how can those sources be trusted if everything is a lie in the first place.

I didn't really push back that hard against this stuff because I was kinda in shock. I calmy asked him for a source. One was a film called "The Greatest Story Never Told", which is a 5 year long nazi fever dream about how great Hitler is. I couldn't stomach more than 15 mins.

He gets very heated when it comes to anything politics related so I've never argued this specific subject, as I know **** all about WW2. It comes down to that I trust expertise, I believe historians and immunologists. I haven't proven gravity exists but I trust physicists. I don't go to a plumber if I need a dentist. He believes any institution is all lies to push some Jewish agenda.

Reminds me of a friend of mine that I had to cut contact with 10 years ago. He became convinced RTE and TV in general was listening and watching him in his house. Utterly paranoid and frightening to see.

He ended up descending into some crazy ****- there was no talking to him. Court appearances and mad behaviour. Back with his parents now heavily medicated and under the supervision of the mental health servies.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,990 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You and I both know your arguing in bad faith.

Im sure you are fully aware of the two party politics in the US. And that the overall majority of republican voters vote republican regardless of who is at the helm.

So why are you pretending that you don't know the basics...

The significant part is in bold.

Why don't you try and tell him what the historians don't know?

Oh I know..

The Video began doing the rounds again in the last few days , I guess in response to the news of Trump stiffing Rudi for the bill on his legal fees.

I suppose it shows that Rudi was always a bit "off" , I mean dressing in drag to attract the gay vote????? WTF?!

Trump is the kind of guy that has zero friends or real close relationships. He will fall out with everyone.

Personally I wouldnt be too hard on Rudi for that- I suppose it is easy to dig too much into it. Let's just say he was a politician looking to have the craic and bolster his exposure. Probably worked too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,452 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

A small rag tag mob of loonies and misfits coupled with a completely unprepared police force is now being compared to a putsch. You give them far far too much credence. Honest to God...give me patience.

They're using local radio and earpieces, they bore cable ties to take hostages, they had off duty law enforcement in their ranks, they wore body armour and had disguised weapons, they made maps and surveyed the grounds days before, they preemptively ripped out panic buttons.

These weren't misfits and loonies as you portray

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement