Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump v Biden 2020,The insurrection (pt 6) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Not at all. But he didn't get 48.6%, Trump only got a certain portion of that.

A very large portion of that was GOP votes. They would vote for Nixon today is given the chance.

But a very large % of the vote that was directly for him would, if not nuts, have been taken in by the constant stream of misinformation and lies. We see it as totally removed from reality, to them it is the only reality.

The estimate is that about 15-20% of the GOP voters are true "Trump Voters" rather than GOP Voters.

Still a pretty big number , could be anything up to ~15M voters and definitely enough to swing results one way or the other for the GOP - If they actually vote.

It's why Trump won't run as an Independent no matter what he might claim - He'd finish a very very distant 3rd.

This is the calculation that the GOP have to do right now about Trump and Impeachment.

If they bin Trump now , do they lose ALL of the ~20% or just 2/3rd's and if they lose them , where are they going?

Will they even vote next time out?

Is 2 or 4 years enough time for them to win enough of them back for it not to matter?

Can they screw with voting rights enough in the States they control to wipe out any numerical advantage the Democrats might have?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,798 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

https://twitter.com/bradheath/status/1349936360141029376?s=19

So, that would make Trump, who caused this,.....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Trump is the kind of guy that has zero friends or real close relationships. He will fall out with everyone.

Personally I wouldnt be too hard on Rudi for that- I suppose it is easy to dig too much into it. Let's just say he was a politician looking to have the craic and bolster his exposure. Probably worked too.

It didn't, his numbers absolutely tanked after that appearance. Not just for that , a bunch of other stuff came to light as well (one of his divorces at least).

He was leading Clinton in the polls before that and she ended up walking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Trump got 46.8% of the vote. That's not far short of half of America voting for him. Are they all nuts?

Over half of them believe in QAnon so no, they're not all nuts. Just half of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,486 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The FBI has arrested John Sullivan. Folks are trying to pin him as proof that the left did the whole thing. That aspersion doesn’t tell the whole story though.

https://twitter.com/rebellionbaby/status/1331902008765206528?s=21

Also, anyone else see this? Seems way in poor taste for even tucker Carlson to go after even AOC in such a crass fashion

https://www.mediaite.com/news/tucker-carlson-attacks-vacuous-little-totalitarian-moron-aoc-mocks-her-fears-during-deadly-capitol-assault-sandys-heart-is-still-beating-fast/

• Advertisement

everlast75 wrote: »
    I suppose there what holocaust deniers, COVID deniers, and Trump supporters all have in common is a willingness to overlook the blatant truth.

More like care in the community isn't working out to well for them, the only other explanation would be that they are just cu*ts.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,798 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Overheal wrote: »
    The FBI has arrested John Sullivan. Folks are trying to pin him as proof that the left did the whole thing. That aspersion doesn’t tell the whole story though.

https://twitter.com/rebellionbaby/status/1331902008765206528?s=21

Also, anyone else see this? Seems way in poor taste for even tucker Carlson to go after even AOC in such a crass fashion

https://www.mediaite.com/news/tucker-carlson-attacks-vacuous-little-totalitarian-moron-aoc-mocks-her-fears-during-deadly-capitol-assault-sandys-heart-is-still-beating-fast/

Carlson is a piece of sh1t who attacks AOC in the same way that little boys pull the pigtails of girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,856 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Just when you thought the Rudi & Trump story couldn't possibly get any weirder

Seriously - This is just really really weird and disturbing

It's a Video of Rudi , dressed as a woman , with Trump Motorboating him...

Rudi was running against HRC for Senator for New York in 2000 and this apparently was his attempt to "win over the gay vote"!?!?!?!?

It was because of that deception that time that I had to start doing a Mick Dundee on the ladies

salmocab wrote: »
    What’s the actual line on denying the Holocaust? Is it that it was exaggerated or not because of their religion etc or do they simply claim it never happened and there is just no story?
    It’s amazing the things people will believe really but I’ve seen so much guff posted by people here that I know some people will just believe pretty much anything if it’s from a source they want to believe.

Check the conspiracy theories forum. We last had a denial thread in there about 3 years ago I think. A lot of it is a poor understanding of facts and laching on to a bunch of red herrings. Here it is actually https://www.boards.ie/mobile/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057868356 I’m reluctant to give crib notes here, it’s a sensitive topic. The thread itself won’t take all day to read if you’re so inclined, we put a pin in it after it got far too cyclical. I’d also not prefer to retread the headspace I had to get into to moderate that thread, which honestly required going through their looking glass. Depresses me all over again to revisit it, going over some of the posts on there, now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

duploelabs wrote: »
    They're using local radio and earpieces, they bore cable ties to take hostages, they had off duty law enforcement in their ranks, they wore body armour and had disguised weapons, they made maps and surveyed the grounds days before, they preemptively ripped out panic buttons.

These weren't misfits and loonies as you portray

Still misfits and loonies in my book. That is how misfits and loonies act. Admittedly dangerous misfits and loonies.

Conspiracy peddlers, Holocaust deniers, etc etc. Yeah...perfectly sound and rational bunch of lads.

Hilary Clinton's use of the word 'deplorables' is looking quite apt in hindsight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Comedy yes but when Jordan Kleeper asked a group of supporters what the limit on supporting Trump was a few said they would still support him even if he created a Jewish registery..

Hillary description is actually perfect.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Comedy yes but when Jordan Kleeper asked a group of supporters what the limit on supporting Trump was a few said they would still support him even if he created a Jewish registery..

Hillary description is actually perfect.

Well, you saw what some of them were wearing last week.

To be clear though, “6MWE” is vastly worse than trying to downplay or dispute the numbers.

Now onto much better news, this asshole who is all but guaranteed to spend his life in prison if, gods forbid he isn’t pardoned by Trump. And I really don’t know anymore if Trump is that stupid.

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1349918140218617857?s=21

At least a pardon via Twitter on the toilet is off the table

• Registered Users Posts: 11,452 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Still misfits and loonies in my book. That is how misfits and loonies act. Admittedly dangerous misfits and loonies.

Conspiracy peddlers, Holocaust deniers, etc etc. Yeah...perfectly sound and rational bunch of lads.

Hilary Clinton's use of the word 'deplorables' is looking quite apt in hindsight.
    The thing is that to label them as 'misfits and loonies', or even calling them dangerous, betrays the fact that is was intelligence led and coordinated. Much like 9/11. Would you call Timothy McVey's bombing in Oklahoma the act of a misfit or looney? He certainly wasn't a lone wolf, nor were the people highlighted that stormed the capitol

The thing is that to label them as 'misfits and loonies', or even calling them dangerous, betrays the fact that is was intelligence led and coordinated. Much like 9/11.

Intelligence led? What are we talking here...Whatsapp, Twitter, Facebook, QAnon..etc etc. It doesnt take much to organise anything these days.

It was opportunistic at best and at worst a portion of the crowd came 'prepared' and looking for and hoping for trouble.
    Would you call Timothy McVey's bombing in Oklahoma the act of a misfit or looney? He certainly wasn't a lone wolf, nor were the people highlighted that stormed the capitol

Yes. Law abiding, rational human beings do not go around blowing up buildings killing hundreds of civilians- not in my book anyway.

There is a danger that these fringe idiots are elevated into something they are not. They are not some noble freedom fighters on some just cause. It was at best an opportunistic mob.

They are idiots who quite happily plastered their pictures in full HD all over the internet. It was not some sophisticated high level operation years in the planning.

Hopefully and it appears that they will be tracked down and hit with everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭yagan

In retrospect the ultimate question will be why wasn't security better when the incumbent who was refusing to accept a democratic result held a rally within walking distance of the legislative chambers conferring the result.

Trump was the trigger in all this for refusing to accept a verified democratic result and the longer he contests the vote the more the actions of lunatic fanbase will come back on him.

Like the guy said, they were invited there by Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

There is a danger that these fringe idiots are elevated into something they are not. They are not some noble freedom fighters on some just cause. It was at best an opportunistic mob.

It appears some people went on tours of the Capitol the day before to scope out the location of certain offices and these tours were lead by sitting members of congress. They also had floor plans, tactical gear, comms, restraints, makeshift weapons and who knows what else. That is not opportunistic.

Plus there are reports of panic buttons being removed from offices before the Capitol was breached. Again, this was not opportunistic.

There's no doubt many got caught up in the heat of the moment but for others this was a planned action with specific targets/goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭yagan

It was at best an opportunistic mob.
    A mob assembled outside the White House by a commander in chief who refuses to accept democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Intelligence led? What are we talking here...Whatsapp, Twitter, Facebook, QAnon..etc etc. It doesnt take much to organise anything these days.

It was opportunistic at best and at worst a portion of the crowd came 'prepared' and looking for and hoping for trouble.

some of them were taken on a tour of congress the day before by a member of congress. It wasn't opportunistic. there was planning involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

They are idiots who quite happily plastered their pictures in full HD all over the internet. It was not some sophisticated high level operation years in the planning.

Hopefully and it appears that they will be tracked down and hit with everything.

They clearly only need to be "elevated" to being pawns. Pawns can still check mate a king. The were clearly being directed to at least intimidate and lightly alot worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,990 ✭✭✭✭listermint

some of them were taken on a tour of congress the day before by a member of congress. It wasn't opportunistic. there was planning involved.

Where's he going with opportunistic?

He's at that all morning. This crowd came armed with poles with tazers stuck to the end of them. Bulletproof vests and tactical radios with hand mics or neck mics.

That's not opportunistic. Opportunistic is a lad checking car doors and taking a phone out of the centre console from an open door.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Yes, intelligence led. We know the attackers had advance non public knowledge of the building and staffing, that they had help from serving politicians, that they were in contact with somebody inside *during* the attack, and that interior panic buttons were sabotaged in advance. It is also implausible by now that the slow walked response was not deliberate by somebody.

Fiona Hill, who can be considered quite an expert in the field, has no hesitation in calling it a coup attempt, it would be dishonest to characterise it otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

The more info we get about the coup attempt, the more we see how well planned it was and that there were people on the inside helping arrange it.

The Republican party resembles a terrorist organization more than a political party. Its isn't just Trump that needs to go, but a huge chunk of the Republican party imo, if not the entire party. The US really needs a new party to replace the Republicans, the rot has set it and there is no saving it.

Also, conservatism in general, world wide, across races and religions has become worse and worse the last couple of decades, the entire political philosophy such as it is, is basically just unreasoning hatred at this point.

As I said some came prepared and looking for trouble.

It was only when it became apparent that there was feck all security did they push ahead. An opportunity was there and the took it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,990 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It was only when it became apparent that there was feck all security did they push ahead. An opportunity was there and the took it.

So not opportunistic at best then ?

Are you retracting your ridiculous assertion

they came prepared. there was advance planning. why do you continue to downplay what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

listermint wrote: »
    Where's he going with opportunistic?

He's at that all morning. This crowd came armed with poles with tazers stuck to the end of them. Bulletproof vests and tactical radios with hand mics or neck mics.

That's not opportunistic. Opportunistic is a lad checking car doors and taking a phone out of the centre console from an open door.

Oppurtunistic is even less than that, if he is checking car doors he's being systematic.

listermint wrote: »
    So not opportunistic at best then ?

Are you retracting your ridiculous assertion

Go back and my post at #8313.Good lad.

Yes. Law abiding, rational human beings do not go around blowing up buildings killing hundreds of civilians- not in my book anyway.

Go back and my post at #8313.Good lad.

you mean the one where you described the attack as "opportunistic at best"? that post? I'll ask again, why do you continue to downplay what happened? what is your agenda?

• Advertisement

they came prepared. there was advance planning. why do you continue to downplay what happened?

I am down playing it because in my eye they are fringe lunatics- nothing more and nothing less. They will be dealt with through the Court system- severely I hope.

They were nothing more than mob of dangerous misfits and losers. All this hot air and melodrama about a 'coup' and a 'putsch' and 'insurrection' is just that IMO.

Personally I have no interest in giving these mob lunatics more credibility than they deserve- they deserve and warrant no credibilty. They need to be kept under a rock and watched.

Let's be clear- their actions must be taken very seriously and dealt with as harshly as possible but let's not get carried away by legitimising them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement