Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump v Biden 2020,The insurrection (pt 6) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

JJayoo wrote: »
    This thread is a bizarre echo chamber, a perfect example of the tribal element we see now in american politics/society.

People, you and I included, are putting up arguments and evidence for various conflicting positions here. The fact that most don't agree with yours doesn't make it an echo-chamber. That's a cheap way of dismissing those who don't agree with you out of hand, and does nothing to further the debate. You have a minority opinion. But that's not because the majority are doing anything wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Cody montana

“US says Capitol rioters intended to 'capture and assassinate' elected officials”

Ah sur, they were harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

“US says Capitol rioters intended to 'capture and assassinate' elected officials”

Twas only a bit of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

swampgas wrote: »
    Take your fingers out of your ears and stopping digging a deeper hole. The evidence is pretty clear. Just because there weren't tanks on the lawn doesn't mean that it wasn't an attempted coup.

An attempted coup with what exactly? Water bottles?

Bet the Russians are just kicking themselves wasting all that money on weapons and a Cold War when they could have have just started a riot on Capitol Hill and walked right in the door.

The notion some lads have here is that an unarmed fringe mob of MAGA lunatics could usurp the US on a Wednesday afternoon is bloody hilarious. Seriously lads, listen to yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,483 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Again, if you are serious about an insurrection where were the guns these MAGA guys hold so dear:

"Lads, you know about the coup/insurrection we are planning later...well remember guns are not allowed in DC so make sure those water bottles and filled up to the last. So we can just walk right."

Answer: it was not a serious coup/insurrection.

Oh yes:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/columnists/2021/1/12/22226819/capitol-mob-riot-guns-electoral-college-votes-biden-trump-incite-charges-impeachment-steinberg

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1350089430305038336?s=21

Oh, there were guns, mainly concealed. One officer gave an account of a guy inside the building he stopped to arrest because he saw the bulge; elsewhere law enforcement arrested a man who had a truckload of guns, Molotov cocktails and several thousand rounds of ammunition.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/dc-protester-arrested-11-molotov-cocktails-guns-list/story?id=75211356

So there it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Bet the Russians are just kicking themselves wasting all that money on weapons and a Cold War when they could have have just started a riot on Capitol Hill and walked right in the door.

The notion some lads have here is that an unarmed fringe mob of MAGA lunatics could usurp the US on a Wednesday afternoon is bloody hilarious. Seriously lads, listen to yourselves.

twice now I have sent you a link to a story about the police confiscating weapons. twice you have ignored it. You are clearly not arguing in good faith.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Can anyone posting in this thread name a single positive thing that happened under the trump presidency? Or to know of such a thing be heriacy.

There was probably something that he did which wasn't complete lunacy, not any of his major policy though which he set out at the start of his campaign and most of which he never even carried out... But I'm sure will be released in two weeks time.

What would you say are the least stupid things he's done?

Overheal wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1350089430305038336?s=21

Oh, there were guns, mainly concealed. One officer gave an account of a guy inside the building he stopped to arrest because he saw the bulge; elsewhere law enforcement arrested a man who had a truckload of guns, Molotov cocktails and several thousand rounds of ammunition.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/dc-protester-arrested-11-molotov-cocktails-guns-list/story?id=75211356

So there it is

MSM. Fake news. Alternative facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Some of them no doubt did. Some of them were clearly 70+ and travelled there on a bus for a day out like they probably had done numerous times to attend trump rallies in the past. I suspect the majority didn't actually intend on killing or hurting anybody but that element of the crowd was enough to lead to the chaos we saw. If you try to say that every single one of them was an armed insurrectionist you're going to look silly. It was bunch of mostly loonies, OAPs and crackpots with a few genuinely dangerous people in the mix as well.

MSM. Fake news. Alternative facts.

Something like that.

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2021/01/08/53-charged-including-13-federally-following-deadly-us-capitol-riot/

Here’s a report of further arrests of those with concealed weapons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

The argument that it wasn't a coup because it was only a few people or was doomed to fail isn't much of an argument really.

It has some similarities to the 1981 Spanish coup where a vote to elect the PM was interrupted by roughly 200 Civil Guard members who held MPs hostage for approximately 18 hours until they realised that no one else was joining them and the King both denounced them and retained the support of the Armed Forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You seem to be stuck in time at about 14:00 (US East Coast) on the 6th of January with the amount of information you have.

You should read up on the news articles about the attempted coup which have emerged since then.

Right now you just look ill informed.

robinph wrote: »
    There was probably something that he did which wasn't complete lunacy, not any of his major policy though which he set out at the start of his campaign and most of which he never even carried out... But I'm sure will be released in two weeks time.

What would you say are the least stupid things he's done?

Hey hey he built 12 miles of new fencing for $15 billion that’s an achievement right

• Registered Users Posts: 19,856 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Is the weapons thing the new Russia report, where people act like it didn't happen, we point out it did, and then the next page they feign amnesia?

The Proud Boys leader was arrested a few days before for with illegal firearm gear, DC does take that stuff seriously. It is not open carry, and concealed carry is carefully reserved. But even so, so far police have reported finding -

- Pipe bombs
    - Molotovs
    - Tasers
    - Knives
    And yes
    - Guns

... being carried by the people they've arrested, and I expect more to emerge. This doesn't account for the people the cops let go unmolested and unsearched or the obvious weapons disguised as flags per Proud Boy doctrine, like hockey sticks, axe handles or spears.

The plan was to hang people in a series of executions, as recently associated with the Michigan plotters. Hanging has a symbolic value for white supremacists for a bunch of reasons, but further to that the guys on thedonald who planned and built the gallows expressed a preference for it in particular because it was painful.

You can actually legally carry a surprisingly large-bladed knife on your person in (most of) the US

Edit to add. Here are the laws for the District. (not sure how reputable the website is!) https://knifeup.com/knife-laws-in-washington-d-c/

Federal property/land such as the Mall and Capitol would likely have additional rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bocaman

Initially when the Capitol was stormed anyone saying it was a coup was ridiculed. Now further evidence is coming to light just how this was planned. If the seditionists had got their hands on Mike Pence it was show over for him.

Something like that.

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2021/01/08/53-charged-including-13-federally-following-deadly-us-capitol-riot/

Here’s a report of further arrests of those with concealed weapons

From that article:

Appearing on MSNBC Friday, Governor Larry Hogan again said he had to wait an hour and a half for approval to send in the Maryland National Guard while fielding calls from panicked lawmakers. “Steny Hoyer called me. He was in a bunker with Speaker Pelosi, with Chuck Schumer. He was pleading for help,” Governor Hogan said.

Can only imagine what the elected officials were thinking and feeling inside the chamber.

Hey hey he built 12 miles of new fencing for $15 billion that’s an achievement right

I've a cousin who could have done it for half that. That would be for cash naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

briany wrote: »
    Call me hopelessly naive, but I'd really like to think that there would have been enough Republicans in the House who had the decency not to use a newfound majority gained through the slaughter of their colleagues in order to overturn a fair election.

You'd be naive to not know that republicans are in fear for their lives the lives of their family at this moment in time because brainwashed idiots believe an election was stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭briany

Can only imagine what the elected officials were thinking and feeling inside the chamber.

The whole chamber was not evacuated right away. In order to better comply with COVID restrictions, some of the representatives moved up to the press gallery which overlooks the floor. It was here some were stranded for a time as rioters forced their way in, advised by security forces to keep their heads down to avoid being seen by the mob.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

... being carried by the people they've arrested, and I expect more to emerge. This doesn't account for the people the cops let go unmolested and unsearched or the obvious weapons disguised as flags per Proud Boy doctrine, like hockey sticks, axe handles or spears.

Someone going to stage a coup in America with hockey sticks, axe handles and spears. :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I read that Delta Airlines are prohibiting passengers bringing guns on board when flying to the inauguration. I didn't know you were otherwise allowed to carry guns in the USA while flying. Wow! Land of the Free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

feargale wrote: »
    I read that Delta Airlines are prohibiting passengers bringing guns on board when flying to the inauguration. I didn't know you were otherwise allowed to carry guns in the USA while flying. Wow! Land of the Free.

On board or in the hold?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

twice now I have sent you a link to a story about the police confiscating weapons. twice you have ignored it. You are clearly not arguing in good faith.

Oh no...shock horror. From the article a handful of weapons found on 1-2 people among the thousands that were are it. One guy accounts for all the weapons found in one pic.

Again, I put it out there. You had essentially an unarmed mob- so you had a few tiny exceptions- a minority within a minority big deal and made no difference.

All they did was smash up some windows etc (yes the death of the guard was terrible) and acted like football hooligans, posed for pictures and then went home. WOW...that was some coup attempt.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Someone going to stage a coup in America with hockey sticks, axe handles and spears. :pac::pac::pac:

They’re still weapons you know, and their targets, like Nancy Pelosi, aren’t exactly brawlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,990 ✭✭✭✭listermint

That guilliani tweet is bizarre. Referencing seemingly Patel kash , chief of staff for David nunes who was placed in the DOD in the last few weeks.

. anyone pretending this was not all orchestrated has serious intelligence problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,856 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

feargale wrote: »

You have to check them in and as far as I remember, they have to be inside a proper case. I think there might be some additional restrictions on ammo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

This thread is a bizarre echo chamber, a perfect example of the tribal element we see now in american politics/society. My side vs your side, zero middle ground, never ever see any positive in an opposing view, double down if you say something daft and support 100% without question anything from your team.

So moving forward what does america do? Ok so all trump supporters, the 70+ million plus all the new ones who will be eligible to vote in 4 years, these people are all lunatics and morons? Fantastic stuff.

Can anyone posting in this thread name a single positive thing that happened under the trump presidency? Or to know of such a thing be heriacy.

Trump is a clown and I'm glad he's getting the boot but at some stage you have to get tired off patting yourself on the back everytime you can make him the punchline of a joke.

Biden would be the best option for claiming some middle ground, he has been around and seems to have a cordial relationship with some high ranked republicans

There is a difference between been critical of Trump and been critical of all 70 m voters. Some would obviously have been republican so would prefer a republican President.

As for Trump himself, no I can't think of a single positive action or quality.

I can see both sides in most arguments but Trump seems to have no redeeming characteristics whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

PoshOrnateImperialeagle-size_restricted.gif
    I will take “where the facts don’t matter” for $500

giphy.gif

Trebek: What statement could only possibly make sense to those defending Donald Trump during the events of January 6th 2021 at Capital Hill.
    Answer: it was not a serious coup/insurrection.

giphy.gif

Oh no...shock horror. From the article a handful of weapons found on 1-2 people among the thousands that were are it. One guy accounts for all the weapons found in one pic.

Again, I put it out there. You had essentially an unarmed mob- so you had a few tiny exceptions- a minority within a minority big deal and made no difference.

All they did was smash up some windows etc (yes the death of the guard was terrible) and acted like football hooligans, posed for pictures and then went home. WOW...that was some coup attempt.

they only searched a tiny majority of the people present. were the police fortunate in that they searched everybody that carried guns? or is it likely that they were a lot more guns present?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭briany

joe40 wrote: »

As for Trump himself, no I can't think of a single positive action or quality.

In the interest of balance, here is a list of things that Trump has either been given credit for or that he's taken credit for, during his term.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/11/opinion/fact-check-trump.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement