Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump v Biden 2020,The insurrection (pt 6) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Overheal wrote: »
    Biden’s inaugural is going to be lit 🔥

https://twitter.com/rebeccashabad/status/1350043944378376195?s=21

No Kid Rock or Ted Nugent?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭swampgas

I was referring to the legal definition of being armed.

So we are coming to a consensus that none of the Jan 6 attackers will be charged, let alone convicted, of attempting a coup.

I'm coming to the conclusion that you don't know what you're talking about and have no intention of learning anything when the facts are presented.

And wow, my ignore list is getting long recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,483 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

duploelabs wrote: »
    Exactly the crime trump was impeached for

Well, incitement of an insurrection

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

So we are coming to a consensus that none of the Jan 6 attackers will be charged, let alone convicted, of attempting a coup.

Really? Is this the nub of your argument? They can’t be charged for attempting a coup because the word “coup” isn’t included in the laws that define the crimes they did? Crimes that are accurately described by the dictionary definition of the word “coup”.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

No Kid Rock or Ted Nugent?

Not even Toby Keith!

On a related note, who knew Charlotte Church was a prophet:

https://mobile.twitter.com/charlottechurch/status/818766435703025664

• Advertisement

No you weren’t at all. We can see what you wrote. Does it ruin your bicycle to backpedal this hard?
    No it wasn't [a failed coup attempt]. Firstly, they were not armed as the legal definition of such. Not one shot was fired and no one was stabbed. And no, flag poles don't count as weapons. It was an illegal and violent attempt to COERCE the government into follow their will.
    Why people here are so precious and hung up about calling it a coup I do not understand.

As for being armed with a deadly weapon, yes, flagpoles can be used as deadly weapons. Practically anything can meet the definition of assault with a deadly weapon if used in an assault. Hockey sticks, 2x4 lumber, poles, pitchforks, etc all easily satisfy the definition. 18 US code § 930

I suggest you spend more time listening and reading and critically thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Well, incitement of an insurrection

Potato tomato

Really? Is this the nub of your argument? They can’t be charged for attempting a coup because the word “coup” isn’t included in the laws that define the crimes they did? Crimes that are accurately described by the dictionary definition of the word “coup”.

Thinking about all the things my congressman has called a coup in the last few years :pac: impeachment was a coup, because! But objecting to electors can’t be a coup, because it’s in the constitution!

Christ he’s a massive idiot.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Jesus people aren’t just clutching straws but stretching them in attempts to make this out to be less than what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Biden’s inaugural is going to be lit ��

https://twitter.com/rebeccashabad/status/1350043944378376195?s=21

What? No Toby Kieth?

• Advertisement

American Thinker issues a blanket retraction of their entire Dominion voting system coverage, as being completely false

https://www.mediaite.com/online/conservative-website-admits-its-stories-about-dominion-were-completely-false-in-massive-retraction/

“ American Thinker and contributors Andrea Widburg, R.D. Wedge, Brian Tomlinson, and Peggy Ryan have published pieces on www.AmericanThinker.com that falsely accuse US Dominion Inc., Dominion Voting Systems, Inc., and Dominion Voting Systems Corporation (collectively “Dominion”) of conspiring to steal the November 2020 election from Donald Trump. These pieces rely on discredited sources who have peddled debunked theories about Dominion’s supposed ties to Venezuela, fraud on Dominion’s machines that resulted in massive vote switching or weighted votes, and other claims falsely stating that there is credible evidence that Dominion acted fraudulently.

These statements are completely false and have no basis in fact. Industry experts and public officials alike have confirmed that Dominion conducted itself appropriately and that there is simply no evidence to support these claims.

It was wrong for us to publish these false statements. We apologize to Dominion for all of the harm this caused them and their employees. We also apologize to our readers for abandoning 9 journalistic principles and misrepresenting Dominion’s track record and its limited role in tabulating votes for the November 2020 election. We regret this grave error.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

In that case you agree it was an attemoted coup.

https://definitions.uslegal.com/a/armed
    "Armed" US legal definition: "Armed means furnished with weapons of offense or defense; furnished with the means of security or protection. In short it means carrying a weapon. For example the bank robber was armed with a shot gun. It can also mean involving the use of weapons. For example terrorists abandoned the armed struggle.

In Buchannon v. State, 554 So. 2d 494, 495 (Ala. 1989) the court held that “In the context of substantive criminal statutes, most courts have concluded that "armed" means having a weapon that is within a person's immediate control and available for his use."

https://definitions.uslegal.com/w/weapon/
    "Weapon" US legal definition: "A weapon is defined under various federal, state, and local laws, which vary by jurisdiction. A weapon is generally something used to injure, defeat, or destroy and may cover many types of instruments, such as a blackjack, slingshot, billy, metal knuckles, dagger, knife, pistol, revolver, or any other firearm, razor with an unguarded blade, and any metal pipe or bar used or intended to be used in a club, among others.

The following is an example of a municipal definition of a dangerous weapon:

"Section 13.68.010 Dangerous weapon--Defined.

As used in this chapter, "dangerous weapon" means and includes, but is not limited to:

1. Any knife having a blade three inches or more in length, or any snap-blade or spring-blade knife regardless of the length of the blade;

2. Any ice pick or similar sharp stabbing tool;
    Any straight edge razor or any razor blade fitted to a handle;

3. Any cutting, stabbing or bludgeoning weapon or device capable of inflicting grievous bodily harm;

4. Any dirk or dagger or bludgeon;

5. Any "taser public defender" or other similar electronic immobilizer which causes, by means of an electrical current, a person to experience muscle spasms and extreme pain, followed by unconsciousness.
    "

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Not even Toby Keith!

On a related note, who knew Charlotte Church was a prophet:

https://mobile.twitter.com/charlottechurch/status/818766435703025664

Snap.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

briany wrote: »
    My initial point was about the idea of Republicans voting to overturn the election result. The following point about the slight movement on impeachment is to further broach the idea that not every Republican in the US Congress has a heart of stone.

The two objections to election results that did make it to a vote were both defeated with a thwomping bi-partisan majority, especially in the Senate. If certain Democrat congressmen and women had been taken out of the picture due to rioting, I'm still not seeing evidence that every Republican would have been whipped to vote in favour of overturning the results.

Pragmatism has to go both ways for someone like McConnell and McCarthy. There's trying to ensure the stability of his party, but there's also trying to ensure the stability of a country for there to even be a party in the first place, and I cannot think that would have been achieved where they cynically took advantage of a most horrible scenario where rioters handed them a numbers advantage in Congress such that they could overturn an election of which they had no proof was fraudulent.

Whatever would have happened to the votes if they'd gotten to politicians, if they'd gotten to the votes themselves and either destroyed or simply broken the chain of custody it would be very likely that they could have forced the states to recertify which could have led to at best dragging out the process but would likely have caused chaos and attempts to overturn it several states again.

It was only some quick thinking staff that saved them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

long time lurker here, to all those trump Deniers and Gopflakes who say the Storming of the Capitol was a peaceful protest or Antifa read this thread
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">These Instagram DMs b/t Goodwyn and a friend show him appearing to refute in real time the myth that Antifa was behind the Capitol riot.<br><br>"My dad said you are Antifa pretending to be Trump supporters."<br>"Tell your dad if he doesn't want his guns I can find some folks who will." <a href="https://t.co/jmaUAoLdds">pic.twitter.com/jmaUAoLdds</a></p>&mdash; Alan Feuer (@alanfeuer) <a href=" 15, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js&quot; charset="utf-8"></script>

Where did you see someone in this thread say that the Storming of the Capitol was a peaceful protest?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Munstersrebel

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Where did you see someone in this thread say that the Storming of the Capitol was a peaceful protest?

Earlier in this or the other thread someone said it was an initially peaceful protest, It was a preplanned mission

swampgas wrote: »
    I'm coming to the conclusion that you don't know what you're talking about and have no intention of learning anything when the facts are presented.

And wow, my ignore list is getting long recently.

Again with the personal attacks. What is going on in this place?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

If you've a problem, report it but your tears will curry no favour

Did your dog write this:
    I think a specific core of posters have been posting here for 4 long years, battling Trump supporters. Now Trump is gone they feel they have won and own the thread and resent new posters blowing in with their fancy new fangled opinions. Hence the schoolyard putdowns and dismissive sneering. :P

No you weren’t at all. We can see what you wrote. Does it ruin your bicycle to backpedal this hard?

As for being armed with a deadly weapon, yes, flagpoles can be used as deadly weapons. Practically anything can meet the definition of assault with a deadly weapon if used in an assault. Hockey sticks, 2x4 lumber, poles, pitchforks, etc all easily satisfy the definition. 18 US code § 930

I suggest you spend more time listening and reading and critically thinking.

Tripping yourself up there my American friend. Read it again.
    I'm going to leave it at that. It wasn't an attempted coup and it will not be recorded in history or in the courts as such.
    This sneery condescending level of debate does not imply wisdom. I'd be as well off arguing with my cat.

• Advertisement

Did your dog write this:

Did your dog write this?
    Buddy. Get some rest.

duploelabs wrote: »
    If you've a problem, report it but your tears will curry no favour

What tears? I think I'm going mad.

I'm going to leave it at that. It wasn't an attempted coup and it will not be recorded in history or in the courts as such.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/01/attempted-coup/617570/
    This sneery condescending level of debate does not imply wisdom.

Irony of projection

I know Trump is an absolute ar5ewipe but, unpopular as this opinion will be, I don't understand why there is so much absolute rage and bile aimed in his direction. I don't understand why people can't dislike him without going into a rage and frothing at the mouth at the mere mention of his name.

I'll be accused of trolling but I'm serious here. The American economy is going well (until COVID), but it's still doing pretty ok. Fair enough, Trump can be blamed for not adequately managing COVID but it was always going to be a problem in the States. Fact is the American public won't do what they are told because...........freedom etc. There was always going to be resistance to masks etc. Even obedient countries like Germany are having problems with COVID.

Less soldiers than ever are being killed in wars. Trump hasn't started any new wars as far as I'm aware.

Trump doesn't get fair play from the media either. He is painted in a bad light even when he does nothing wrong. For example, someone who owns a MAGA hat does anything wrong whatsoever, the media have headlines such as "Trump Supporter Rapes Bear" etc. Every single angle is used to try and smear Trump even when he has nothing to do with it.

Like I've said earlier in the thread, I'm far from a supporter of Trump. I'm just bemused by the level of hate towards him. It almost doesn't seem rational to me.

I know Trump is an absolute ar5ewipe but, unpopular as this opinion will be, I don't understand why there is so much absolute rage and bile aimed in his direction. I don't understand why people can't dislike him without going into a rage and frothing at the mouth at the mere mention of his name.

I'll be accused of trolling but I'm serious here. The American economy is going well (until COVID), but it's still doing pretty ok. Fair enough, Trump can be blamed for not adequately managing COVID but it was always going to be a problem in the States. Fact is the American public won't do what they are told because...........freedom etc. There was always going to be resistance to masks etc. Even obedient countries like Germany are having problems with COVID.

Less soldiers than ever are being killed in wars. Trump hasn't started any new wars as far as I'm aware.

Trump doesn't get fair play from the media either. He is painted in a bad light even when he does nothing wrong. For example, someone who owns a MAGA hat does anything wrong whatsoever, the media have headlines such as "Trump Supporter Rapes Bear" etc. Every single angle is used to try and smear Trump even when he has nothing to do with it.

Like I've said earlier in the thread, I'm far from a supporter of Trump. I'm just bemused by the level of hate towards him. It almost doesn't seem rational to me.

It’s been 5 years and 7 months since Trump went down the escalator.

If you still haven’t figured it out you never will.

It’s been 5 years and 7 months since Trump went down the escalator.

If you still haven’t figured it out you never will.

What does down the escalator mean? Entered politics?

There is more to a society than an economy. An economy by the way which started its trajectory in 2010 and continued right through to the end of Obama second term. The best thing that can be said about trump is that he didn’t destroy the good economic work of the previous 8 years. He did his best to destroy the fabric of society thought, just to massage his own ego

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

If you aren't doing what you claim in bold have you tried to do any research on him at all before posting that you are confused?

He has given the US population, and the world in general, a never ending list of terrible policies, lies, and corruption over the past 4 years and driven a divided nation even further apart with his statements. There couldn't be more evidence out there.

There is more to a society than an economy. An economy by the way which started its trajectory in 2010 and continued right through to the end of Obama second term. The best thing that can be said about trump is that he didn’t destroy the good economic work of the previous 8 years. He did his best to destroy the fabric of society thought, just to massage his own ego

You say the economy was on a trajectory and continued in the same trajectory.

I wonder then was the fabric of society on a trajectory and continued in the same trajectory?

Trump didn't cause BLM. The issues that led to that have been bubbling away for years. Long before Trump decided to grace us with his political presence.

It looks to me that the hatred for Trump is causing people to exaggerate the negative things that he has done and actually blame or link him to things he hasn't done.

I'm no Trump apologist or supporter. To be honest, I'd be ashamed if he was my President because he ain't a nice person. But it's hard to have a reasonable conversation with someone who is doesn't support him because they don't just not support him, they absolutely hate him with a passion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭swampgas

briany wrote: »
    My initial point was about the idea of Republicans voting to overturn the election result. The following point about the slight movement on impeachment is to further broach the idea that not every Republican in the US Congress has a heart of stone.

The two objections to election results that did make it to a vote were both defeated with a thwomping bi-partisan majority, especially in the Senate. If certain Democrat congressmen and women had been taken out of the picture due to rioting, I'm still not seeing evidence that every Republican would have been whipped to vote in favour of overturning the results.

Pragmatism has to go both ways for someone like McConnell and McCarthy. There's trying to ensure the stability of his party, but there's also trying to ensure the stability of a country for there to even be a party in the first place, and I cannot think that would have been achieved where they cynically took advantage of a most horrible scenario where rioters handed them a numbers advantage in Congress such that they could overturn an election of which they had no proof was fraudulent.

The problem (IMO) for the GOP is as follows. Because of FPTP and the electoral system, you are either in power or in the wilderness. Bipartisanship is rare. And because they are losing out demographically, they face the prospect of never being in power again unless they change who they are, and what their values are - something they and their wealthy donors don't fancy.

If the current democratic system means you are finished, and you are have a bit of American "win at all costs" gumption, well that means ignoring democracy and finding a way to stay in power by other means.

The GOP have been at this already for years. A coup which leaves them in power indefinitely would suit them very well indeed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement