Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump v Biden 2020,The insurrection (pt 6) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dressoutlet

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">“Dances With Kale” denied bail<a href="https://t.co/sRLEKLnnIg"&gt;https://t.co/sRLEKLnnIg</a></p>— Gulf Toast (@BayouRising) <a href=" 16, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js&quot; charset="utf-8"></script>

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭briany

I watched a snippet of the interview posted here with the Qanon Shaman and his openeing remarks, which were supposedly a description of his enemies, could easily have described the people who are a part of his movement. The lack of self-awareness is astounding.

I have to think that, unless that man was categorically insane, there has to be some level of self-awareness to that guy. He just looked like the world's biggest attention seeker, and he pretty much got his wish, because he's been one of the big talking points of the whole affair. I would suspect that, even greater than his right-wing leanings, is that he's just a nihilistic troll who enjoys chaos and confrontation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Wibbs wrote: »
    Indeed. In the celebrations in the wake of those referenda it was easy to forget that the majorities involved were small enough. SSM 62% Abortion 66%. A majority yes and personally I was glad, but between 30-40 percent of Irish voters were not so glad. I would say there is quite the conservative streak in Ireland. It's largely avoided by the Irish media and in politics it's fringe, because the parties concerned are too fringe in other ways, but it's there.

It's there, but I think it's rooted in a more old fashioned conservatism, rather than the nouveaux online nonsense we've seen on the rise in the last decade or so. The average Irish conservative would be no more well disposed to the conspiracy theory lobbing lunatic fringe right winger than the average Labour/SF voter.

In other words, they're "conservative", but still occupy the middle ground for the most part.

Otherwise the likes of Gemma O'Doherty, Justin Barrett and Peter Casey would have much higher support.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,305 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The walls are closing in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

briany wrote: »
    I have to think that, unless that man was categorically insane.

Well, he does believe that he is an alien.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

I stand corrected

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree. Trump has caused significant damage to previous relationships. Nato is now on a very different path. Mexico and Canada will feel very badly treated. He blew away any idea of a close relationship with the EU.

Both China and Russia will feel emboldened by the reduced Western alliance..

We won't know the long term effects for, well, a long time

A long and protracted war, a vicious occupation, massive fallout around the world, ISIS, a region destabilised for well over a decade and a worldwide banking collapse that ruined an untold number of people's lives and that's just the worst effects of Bush's time in the chair.

That beats any relationship trouble that Trump has caused, which Biden has the opportunity to patch up if he can do his job properly and most of the countries/organisations that have been burned by Trump will be more than willing to smooth over any rough that occurred in Donald's time.

64 million have been displaced this century by americas war on terror,launched by bush

I don't think the blame for the Iraq war can be laid entirely on Bush's shoulders because there's a legislative mechanism when the USA wants to wage military action of that scale and that resolution passed US Congress even at a time when the Democrats held a Senate majority, and could therefore have been theoretically stopped from happening. And then there is the ongoing question as to whether it was an intelligence coverup or an intelligence failure, and what Bush personally knew, and what the interests behind the war were, and the possibility of bad faith actors wanting to cover their tracks, and donors/PACs and generals who had their ideas of what they wanted to do and so on.

I would wholly agree that knowing what we know now, the Iraq war was entirely unjustified, I just think there were too many people in it for anyone to ever be found really culpable.

Rogan is a terrible interviewer. He just sits there saying "that's fascinating" over and over, or talking about things he believes in. He rarely challenges the views of his guests. Awful.

I actually think Joe Rogan is a good interviewer. But a good amateur interviewer. He, unlike a lot of so called professionals, lets the guest talk and he generates an atmosphere where a conversation occurs.

That's what an interview is supposed to be. Not an opportunity for a guest just to plug their latest bit of tat which is what passes for a lot of "interviews" in American media these days.

His guests speak their mind because they don't feel like they're under an interrogation, and they're not just there to fulfil a contractual obligation. It's also not constrained by a silly time limit which eliminates conversation flow down to a few basic soundbites.

While his show could certainly be tightened up, a good deal in certain areas, it's still one of the best free form exercises in which to see a person talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Lucifer wrote: »

Yea he needs to get punished, one of those who crossed the line. Anyone who smashed their way in, or committed any crime needs punishing, but the majority of them were there just to protest, not to smash their way in.

I just don't see anything in Trumps speech telling them to commit a coup.

''And you have to get your people to fight. And if they don’t fight, we have to primary the hell out of the ones that don’t fight. You primary them. We’re going to. We’re going to let you know who they are.''

YOUR PEOPLE, AS IN YOUR ELECTED REPUBLICANS

''we’re going to walk down to the Capitol, and we’re going to cheer on our brave senators and congressmen and women, and we’re probably not going to be cheering so much for some of them.

Because you’ll never take back our country with weakness. You have to show strength and you have to be strong.

I know that everyone here will soon be marching over to the Capitol building to peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard.

''Today we see a very important event though. Because right over there, right there, we see the event going to take place. And I’m going to be watching. Because history is going to be made. We’re going to see whether or not we have great and courageous leaders, or whether or not we have leaders that should be ashamed of themselves throughout history, throughout eternity they’ll be ashamed.

And you know what? If they do the wrong thing, we should never, ever forget that they did. Never forget. We should never ever forget.''
    You primary them.

''In every single swing state, local officials, state officials, almost all Democrats, made illegal and unconstitutional changes to election procedures without the mandated approvals by the state legislatures.

That these changes paved a way for fraud on a scale never seen before.''

an example, in Pennsylvania, or whatever, you have a Republican legislature, you have a Democrat mayor, and you have a lot of Democrats all over the place. They go to the legislature. The legislature laughs at them, says we’re not going to do that. They say, thank you very much and they go and make the changes themselves, they do it anyway.

''
    ''

In addition, over 170,000 absentee votes were counted in Wisconsin without a valid absentee ballot application. So they had a vote, but they had no application, and that’s illegal in Wisconsin. Meaning those votes were blatantly done in opposition to state law and they came 100% from Democrat areas such as Milwaukee and Madison, 100%.'''

It was a long speech, but very little in it about going to capitol building, other that to cheer on peacefully , make their voices heard.

• Advertisement

I would wholly agree that knowing what we know now, the Iraq war was entirely unjustified, I just think there were too many people in it for anyone to ever be found really culpable.

Knowing what we knew AT THE TIME, it was entirely unjustified. Even before the first bomb fell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dressoutlet

Yea he needs to get punished, one of those who crossed the line. Anyone who smashed their way in, or committed any crime needs punishing, but the majority of them were there just to protest, not to smash their way in.

I just don't see anything in Trumps speech telling them to commit a coup.

''And you have to get your people to fight. And if they don’t fight, we have to primary the hell out of the ones that don’t fight. You primary them. We’re going to. We’re going to let you know who they are.''

YOUR PEOPLE, AS IN YOUR ELECTED REPUBLICANS

''we’re going to walk down to the Capitol, and we’re going to cheer on our brave senators and congressmen and women, and we’re probably not going to be cheering so much for some of them.

Because you’ll never take back our country with weakness. You have to show strength and you have to be strong.

I know that everyone here will soon be marching over to the Capitol building to peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard.

''Today we see a very important event though. Because right over there, right there, we see the event going to take place. And I’m going to be watching. Because history is going to be made. We’re going to see whether or not we have great and courageous leaders, or whether or not we have leaders that should be ashamed of themselves throughout history, throughout eternity they’ll be ashamed.

And you know what? If they do the wrong thing, we should never, ever forget that they did. Never forget. We should never ever forget.''
    You primary them.

''In every single swing state, local officials, state officials, almost all Democrats, made illegal and unconstitutional changes to election procedures without the mandated approvals by the state legislatures.

That these changes paved a way for fraud on a scale never seen before.''

an example, in Pennsylvania, or whatever, you have a Republican legislature, you have a Democrat mayor, and you have a lot of Democrats all over the place. They go to the legislature. The legislature laughs at them, says we’re not going to do that. They say, thank you very much and they go and make the changes themselves, they do it anyway.

''
    ''

In addition, over 170,000 absentee votes were counted in Wisconsin without a valid absentee ballot application. So they had a vote, but they had no application, and that’s illegal in Wisconsin. Meaning those votes were blatantly done in opposition to state law and they came 100% from Democrat areas such as Milwaukee and Madison, 100%.'''

It was a long speech, but very little in it about going to capitol building, other that to cheer on peacefully , make their voices heard.

Did you bang your head? I mean we have gone through this exact thing 5 billion times now with you and you slump off then come back again with the same stuff so I can only assume you've got some kind of amnesia

Get better idols. Even if it's trolling, learn how to do it better

• Registered Users Posts: 18,167 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

And yet every day more of those involved in breaking the law are saying they were simply doing what he told them to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

The election wasnt stolen borneTobyWilde..

What was the point of holding the rally?

First time hearing that ex presidents get security breifings after they leave office.. kinda telling that it happens under Donnie..

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1350503081478414336?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Looks like Kayleigh McEnany has walked off the job. Shes only been seen once in the last couple of weeks anyway and it was reported that Trump was complaining that certain staffers were not fighting hard enough for him with Kayleigh being named as one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,719 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well she will walk right into a job on Fox, NewsMax or OANN

With regards corps stopping money going to reps that voted against the electors...

"Freed noted that many companies are only talking about reviewing or halting their PAC donations, which are limited to $5,000 per candidate, rather than contributions to groups like super PACs, dark money nonprofits, trade associations, and 527 committees — which can accept donations of any size, including money direct from corporate treasuries."

https://www.dailyposter.com/p/the-slush-fund-bankrolling-the-insurrectionist

I'm seeing a lot of posts about the "dark money" on my twitter timeline since this "cancel" stuff started.. it ain't over for them, the switch and bait is in action it seems.

Them GOP reps are some sewer dirt of the highest order.. Y'all remember when watching the impeachment and Lincoln was being quoted? A kind Twitter user sought out the full quote of one of them I believe.

https://twitter.com/SteveSchmidtSES/status/1349780501943492610?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

Murder, looting, and arson, bail them out!!!!

To a broken window in the capitol building. JAIL THEM FOR LIFE

I was not looking for you to quote trumps speech. I can see that myself

I was referring to your comment, "To a broken window in the capitol building."

Do you stand by that comment?

https://twitter.com/CuomoPrimeTime/status/1350269931930218496?s=20

• Advertisement

First time hearing that ex presidents get security breifings after they leave office.. kinda telling that it happens under Donnie..

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1350503081478414336?s=19

Well, it makes sense that they'd get some, although it depends on what kind of security we're talking about. National security, I don't know about, but you'd think they'd be briefed on personal security threats because nobody needs some header getting to an ex-president of the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,795 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Lucifer wrote: »
    I was not looking for you to quote trumps speech. I can see that myself

I was referring to your comment, "To a broken window in the capitol building."

Do you stand by that comment?

https://twitter.com/CuomoPrimeTime/status/1350269931930218496?s=20

I thought that happened in the doorway, but it seems the injury happened early on when the crowd over whelmed the barriers to the steps.. there's a video from high up that shows a fire extinguisher being thrown and hitting a group of police officers.. this seems to be were the fatal injury happened.

Also, there some serious sick irony, a fire fighter throwing a fire extinguisher that ends the life of another :(

Well, it makes sense that they'd get some, although it depends on what kind of security we're talking about. National security, I don't know about, but you'd think they'd be briefed on personal security threats because nobody needs some header getting to an ex-president of the USA.

Presidents do generally get National Security briefings, similar to the packets that Trump would get daily if not the exact same. From what I gather, part of the rationale to it is former presidents can act as a resource to the sitting president in the event of it being needed. Just for advice during a crisis etc. The concern with giving Trump such packets or whatever is that he'd leak it to OANN or something and potential compromise national security.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Cody montana

I think,tradionally most dont take them up....bill clinton being an exception

George Bush Senior does.

It seems ex POTUS's get national security breifings.. personal security seems reasonable, and I would expect that with them having secret service detail for life.. didn't think they'd get national stuff, from that it seems they do.

George Bush Senior does.

Did.

Did.

Did he die? I didn't even know.

• Advertisement

Did he die? I didn't even know.

In 2018.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement