Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump v Biden 2020,The insurrection (pt 6) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,585 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I've never defended Trump once.

Sure :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,922 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

And the republicans had an election in two years...

I mean... do I really need to explain the rest?

They had two years where they could have done anything. Instead, they lost their majority.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

They had two years where they could have done anything. Instead, they lost their majority.

Thanks for confirming my fear. You don't understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Maybe explain your point instead of just saying that someone else doesn't understand. Because I don't get it either.

We're talking about the ability of Presidents to get things done. Obama faced majority opposition in both the House and the Senate during most of his tenure. Trump did not for the first 2 years of his. I'm not sure what's the issue with pointing out that the two did not have a comparible chance to enact their policies based on these facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭briany

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I think the Boogaloo Boys have some protests planned today?

The term 'Boogaloo Boys' really feels like it's out of some Clockwork Orange dystopia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,462 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Maybe explain your point instead of just saying that someone else doesn't understand. Because I don't get it either.

can you explain it for somebody in the cheap seats as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,599 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

They're rolling out all the Greatest Hits this week :rolleyes:

Must be the slowest moving caravan known to humanity seeing as it's been forgotten about since the 2018 midterms

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1350802423787479040

Christ.

The fact that there's elections every two years is the thing that checks the power of the House and Senate.

There is no absolute power because if you run around doing whatever you want you'll potentially lose the House and Senate, and the mad **** you did will be stopped and/or reversed.

If you want to see what absolute power without checks looks like, I'd suggest looking up actual dictatorships, not the US.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,922 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Thanks for adding absolutely nothing. Let's leave it there.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭yagan

If you want to see what absolute power without checks looks like, I'd suggest looking up actual dictatorships, not the US.
    The US came very close to a coup, that the vast majority of republican reps still insist wasn't an insurrection.

The will for a fascist dictatorship is still there, which is why even after Trump leaves the White House nations all around the world will be weary of the USA for the foreseeable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,464 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

yagan wrote: »
    The US came very close to a coup, that the vast majority of republican reps still insist wasn't an insurrection.

The will for a fascist dictatorship is still there, which is why even after Trump leaves the White House nations all around the world will be weary of the USA for the foreseeable.

Apropos of this - skip to 0:45

And what has that to do with my point? If there was a coup then the systems of government I just described would be gone, as would the constitution, I presume.

I'm talking about the system that exists now. Is that clear? I'm not interested in changing the subject.

Also, you're pointing out how a wannabe dictator failed in his efforts to overthrow US democracy? That American democracy held firm? You're just proving my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

briany wrote: »
    The term 'Boogaloo Boys' really feels like it's out of some Clockwork Orange dystopia.

yeah either that or a childrens cartoon. Imagine dressing up in all that military gear and then calling yourselves the Boogaloo Boys, its like they are a parody of themselves. Sad!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭newhouse87

if you truly believe this was nearly a coup, you need to get out more and stay offline.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yeah either that or a childrens cartoon. Imagine dressing up in all that military gear and then calling yourselves the Boogaloo Boys, its like they are a parody of themselves. Sad!

Well, they sort of were a joke, i.e. 4Chan seemed amused that the media picked up on the term as if it was a real threat, just like 4Chan claims they started the 'OK' sign being a WN thing as a joke, but this is the problem with at least a section of the American far-right, trying to mix in edgy humour with serious political beliefs so as to obfuscate what is a joke and what is in earnest. I don't doubt they're still a fringe of a fringe, but they lose their joke credentials when they actually fire upon people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

If anything, the whole trump era, once it's finally over, has strengthened us governance. If they faced this kind of cult and overcame it, democratically and lawfully, it shows the power of democracy/constitution/institutions to overcome tyranny after a major challenge. The fact that such an abhorrent element managed to gain enough influence to vote Trump initially also proves that the system is inclusive and not corrupt. Democracy is actually pretty robust in the us.

If anything, the whole trump era, once it's finally over, has strengthened us governance. If they faced this kind of cult and overcame it, democratically and lawfully, it shows the power of democracy/constitution/institutions to overcome tyranny after a major challenge. The fact that such an abhorrent element managed to gain enough influence to vote Trump initially also proves that the system is inclusive and not corrupt. Democracy is actually pretty robust in the us.

If anything, it proved that the President can't do whatever they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

newhouse87 wrote: »
    if you truly believe this was nearly a coup, you need to get out more and stay offline.

It was incompetent and failed thankfully, just like Hitler's Beer Hall Putsch effort on 1923.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Rudi selling pardons for 2 million..... seems like a good deal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Fiona Hill disagrees with you

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2021/01/11/capitol-riot-self-coup-trump-fiona-hill-457549

• Advertisement

duploelabs wrote: »

Im sure she does but i would hope that most if not all people on here would agree it was not nearly a coup or even attempted coup, was a bunch of mental deranged idiots .

Rudi selling pardons for 2 million..... seems like a good deal ?

That was last year, allegedly said to an ex-CIA man who was feeling out the possibility of getting one off Trump. Would seem a s*itty thing to say, but in any case Giuliani's certainly in no position to be offering pardons now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Im sure she does but i would hope that most if not all people on here would agree it was not nearly a coup or even attempted coup, was a bunch of mental deranged idiots .

They were indeed mental and deranged, but they purposely turned up at the US seat of government looking to harm/kill duly elected officials so that their chosen leader could try to remain in office. That is a coup. A badly-run one, but a coup nonetheless.

Oh ffs, are we really going down the route that this wasn't a coordinated attack again??? It was be the third time this week on this thread alone. And no, as demonstrated if you're to read back a few pages, that the majority here don't agree with you

Oh ffs, are we really going down the route that this wasn't a coordinated attack again??? It was be the third time this week on this thread alone. And no, as demonstrated if you're to read back a few pages, that the majority here don't agree with you

so you believe it was an attempt to over-throw the us government? Think some of ye are giving these idiots more credit than they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,464 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

^^^^ this.

https://twitter.com/mikedorning/status/1350106659943804930?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

In the last week the Trump supporters have told us it was:

1. Simply a group of people who wanted to have a discussion with some politicians,
    2. It was a spontaneous spur of the moment thing, and now
    3. They were just a bunch of idiots

You ever hear the expression: when you're explaining you're losing.

Overheal wrote: »

I would put my mortgage on it that pence would not have been assassinated if he got caught by the protestors, its all idle speculation. Theses nut jobs are certainly enjoying all the credit they are getting im sure.

namloc1980 wrote: »

1. Simply a group of people who wanted to have a discussion with some politicians,
    4. They're mentally ill/crazies

(added the missing 4th)

• Advertisement

namloc1980 wrote: »

yep was definitely no 3 deranged probably mentally unstable alot of them but no it was not some grand plan to over throw the govt, this is not the movies.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement