Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Display of Alcohol

Options
  • 12-12-2020 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

My local supermarket claims to have an exemption to the recent law governing alcohol displayed in shops untill next February.

Is this possible or is it bs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Depends on the size of their alcohol display.

If its less than 3m then they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Oxter wrote: »
    My local supermarket claims to have an exemption to the recent law governing alcohol displayed in shops untill next February.

Is this possible or is it bs?

Are you the Alcohol Display Police - sort of like a new type of Covid police.

Is it actually ANY of your business?

If they are not adhering to legislation, there are procedures, but not implemented by busy bodies who run online to squeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

silver2020 wrote: »
    Are you the Alcohol Display Police - sort of like a new type of Covid police.

Is it actually ANY of your business?

If they are not adhering to legislation, there are procedures, but not implemented by busy bodies who run online to squeal.

And are you the forum police who run onto threads to answer a question that wasn't asked? Why don't you try minding your own business?? OP asked a question he / she is perfectly entitled to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Deagol wrote: »
    And are you the forum police who run onto threads to answer a question that wasn't asked? Why don't you try minding your own business?? OP asked a question he / she is perfectly entitled to ask.

Where's the purpose of the question except to use it against the store - why does the OP need to know. Can the op not just accept that the retailer is correct and that if there's an issue there are authorities to deal with it.

No reason whatsoever to run onto a forum with such a query.

Does the op have the inability to do a google search

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

Where's the purpose of the question except to use it against the store - why does the OP need to know. Can the op not just accept that the retailer is correct and that if there's an issue there are authorities to deal with it.

Oh - the irony :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭hurikane

Mother of gawwwwwwd

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Whats the purpose? - none of yer business - that's what :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Oxter

Does the op have the inability to do a google search[/quote]

Google search states that only offlicenses are exempt.
    This is a Consumer issue.

Is it posdible to have the inability?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I've just happened to wander by, can I ask the OP why he/she wants to know?

Curious that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Wondered by too. My only question is "who cares?" What danger is being placed in anyone's way because of this breach?

• Advertisement

I've just happened to wander by, can I ask the OP why he/she wants to know?

Curious that's all.

Because it is in breach of a recent law.
    Nobody seems to know who enforces it. Hse hsa, consumer protection, environmental health are all passing the buck

Wondered by too. My only question is "who cares?" What danger is being placed in anyone's way because of this breach?

Why was the law passed? This setsca precedent for ignoring other laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Why was the law passed? This setsca precedent for ignoring other laws.

I ignore lots of laws, don’t see how this one makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Lidl don’t seem to be complying

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Goodigal

It's not an exemption - they are not being given out. But some retailers are reporting delays in fitting out their stores due to the pandemic and availability of shop fitters. So it will happen in time I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Goodigal wrote: »
    It's not an exemption - they are not being given out. But some retailers are reporting delays in fitting out their stores due to the pandemic and availability of shop fitters. So it will happen in time I'm sure.

That's what I was thinking, my local shop had to wait 3 months for the fitters to be able to come in. What's more it's the head office that booked them so God knows whether locals will even be offered the work

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is an excessive amount of aggression in this thread. Tone it down, lots.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

vicwatson wrote: »
    Lidl don’t seem to be complying

This is true. They seem to be the only ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭doublej

The Department of Health and the Environmental Health Service had been directed by the Minister of Health to enter into discussions with the retailers representative bodies to allow for a timely and seamless transition into the new lay-outs in those stores where a barrier of 1.2 metres would be erected to ensure that there was a visual and structural separation between all alcohol in the store and the shoppers. There was also a requirement that no alcohol could be displayed at the point of sale( behind the counter) and these bottles needed to be put into a closed cabinet.
    The discussions, which could have commenced at anytime after the Act became law in November 2018, and were sought by the retailers from Spring 2019, did not take place until it was too late for many retailers to have the shop fitting solutions in place prior to November 12th of this year. The factories manufacturing the products are working at lower capacity due to Covid, as are the shopfitters, who cannot breach social distancing rules when erecting the barriers and working alongside shop workers.
    Consequently, the Environmental Health Service agreed that once a retailer could show to the satisfaction of their inspectors ( EHO’s) that there was a contract in place with a shopfitting company, and that completion would be effected by April, no prosecution would take place.

Nobody seems to know who enforces it. Hse hsa, consumer protection, environmental health are all passing the buck

I know that, but I'm curious as to why this is an issue for you?

Edit: Don't bother, you seem to be on a one person whinge crusade going by your started threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I know that, but I'm curious as to why this is an issue for you?

Presumably this law was put in place for peoples protection, so if there are shops not obeying it, then it's increasing risks to people.

Why is the OPs question an issue for you? Surely all that matters is that it's an issue for them? Nothing wrong with someone highlighting an issue to the relevant authorities.
    It's not like the OP is going to firebomb the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

A local Centra has been refurbished recently, with the 1.2m barrier around the alcohol section, it's basically a nicly painted picket fence, with a matching garden gate.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Presumably this law was put in place for peoples protection, so if there are shops not obeying it, then it's increasing risks to people.

Why is the OPs question an issue for you? Surely all that matters is that it's an issue for them? Nothing wrong with someone highlighting an issue to the relevant authorities.

I'm just being a busy body like the op.

Going by his started threads, he's a right pain in the backside only out to cause hassle for people.

All of these things will get done when they can be done. Coming on here looking to cause further distress to already distressed business' is shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Ah is this why all those stupid doors have appeared on the alcohol aisles? It must be terrible for wheelchair users, hard enough to get through with a cart.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Sounds like you have actually contacted the above agencies? If so, why is it so important to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

GreeBo wrote: »

It's not a consumer issue if a retailer has a screen around their alcohol or not. What ever regulations they aren't following has nothing to do with consumers, apart from another cost being pushed onto us.

Advertisement