Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To put dog down or not?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Maybe the op can't afford 18 months of medication. Reality has to kick in somewhere

I specifically said it was cheap.
    And the reality of getting a dog is that there will be costs to be met.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I don't think there's much point in discussing the ifs, buts and maybes until the op confirms whether or not the dog has been seen by the vet in relation to this issue.
    Op, you've been asked now on a number of occasions if the vet has seen the dog for this issue, and you have yet to respond?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

We had to say goodbye to one of our dogs this past year. She was almost 14.

Unfortunately she lost the use of her legs and couldn’t get up anymore. Prior to that she was leaking urine onto a couch for a few years. We designated the couch as just hers, it was small so no one ever sat on it besides her anyway.

I’d give anything to have her back and leaking wee. The trauma of having to say good bye to an otherwise healthy dog is something I wouldn’t wish on anyone.

Obviously only you know your own circumstances and what’s best to do, I wish you luck, it’s a horrible decision. If she’s otherwise healthy though and can go for walks and enjoys life I wouldn’t give up on her. There are lots of ways around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

170 to clean the couch that would more than cover the meds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

DBB wrote: »
    I don't think there's much point in discussing the ifs, buts and maybes until the op confirms whether or not the dog has been seen by the vet in relation to this issue.
    Op, you've been asked now on a number of occasions if the vet has seen the dog for this issue, and you have yet to respond?

Speaking to the vet is the main thing.
    I remember I mentioned her loss of bladder control as an aside as I really didn't think there was anything that could be done.
    Vet was "yup, that's probably blah blah blah (it was 10 years ago, can't remember the details), very common in older dogs who are neutered, these tablets usually work".
    And work they did.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

170 to clean the couch that would more than cover the meds!

You've once again ignored mod instructions. 1 week ban issued. Next time you break any forum rule its permanent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Maybe the op can't afford 18 months of medication. Reality has to kick in somewhere
    But there is money for cleaning the sofa multiple times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Jesus please don’t put your dog down because it’s old and ageing .. I’m honestly shocked ..

My cocker who I lost to cancer in August 2019 (he was 14) was soo fatigued from the cancer he would wee himself in his sleep ... so I got the puppy training pads and put them on top of his bed on the couch too and then out loads of throws on the couch so I was only washing them .. what i wouldn’t do to have my Cody back .. regardless of him weeing

Has your dog seen a vet?
    There may have medication that could help ..

Maybe restrict the dog to the kitchen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Moved to a more relevant forum.
    Local charter now applies.

To the pets forum?

So you have chosen death for the OP then :pac:

• Advertisement

OP, has the dog been checked for liver and kidney disease? This can be a cause for constant peeing and loss of house training.

I recently had to allow my 14 year old dog be PTS, her health problems were making her miserable and I knew it. My vet told me that I had to weigh up her quality of life. If the bad days were more then the good days, then it was time to let her go. Like you, I had an adult daugther who fought me on it, but was also unwilling to be the one to clean up the multiple accidents, etc. It absolutely broke my heart, but a month later I don't regret letting my dog go, and I feel it was the right and kindest thing to do for her. My adult daughter now agrees that it was, too. YOU know your dog, and if its their time.

I personally would not listen to suggestions of rehoming a 15 year old dog! At that age, it would be so confusing and heartbreaking for the animal. Thats not thinking of the animal's best interests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,972 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

To the pets forum?

So you have chosen death for the OP then :pac:

Yes, because you have great experience of this forum, having posted here a total of how many times? Oh that’s right, once, being the post I’ve quoted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Yes, because you have great experience of this forum, having posted here a total of how many times? Oh that’s right, once, being the post I’ve quoted.

Excellent try, you and I both know there were several times this forum had issues with OPs getting tore to shreds and it having to be brought into feedback to get regulars to calm down

Now go and untangle your panties, like a good girl ;)

Excellent try, you and I both know there were several times this forum had issues with OPs getting tore to shreds and it having to be brought into feedback to get regulars to calm down

Kindly point out all those posts you reported in this forum that were not dealt with, again there are none. I am also not aware of any feedback threads in the last few years started by OPs from here because they were torn to shreds. Kindly pm me a list of those so as not to take this thread any further off topic. Please also report all posts where, as per your first post, the OP has been told to die so they may be appropriately dealt with.

If you have any further issues with moderation in this forum pm the details to the mods. It is not appropriate and is extremely unfair to derail someone else’s thread by posting disparaging comments about the forum in that thread. I look forward to your pm.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Sonic the Shaghog,
    There is a certain standard of posting required here in the A&PI forum, which demands that people address one another in a respectful way.
    As everyone can see, your post falls a long way short of such a requirement.
    I see you couldn't stop yourself spouting the usual hyperbole that people who never participate in this forum seem to like to scutter on about. I too would like to see some evidence for the claims you make, because I have no memory of any such feedback threads either. You can pm me the evidence, at your leisure.
    Be advised that unless you can abide by the forum rules, you shouldn't post here.
    Do not post in this thread again.
    Thanks
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Is there a particular time of day she's prone to peeing?
    With your very long hours maybe her elderly bladder isn't up to it .While your cousin may be walking her a couple of times a day I wonder if she's getting to the garden often enough-could she go out for 10 minutes every couple of hours?
    Get up half an hour earlier to let her out and obviously put her out very last thing as you're getting ready for bed.
    Maybe confine her to the kitchen at night,remove the sofa until the problem's solved and throw down a cosy washable bed.
    Our house is still recovering from an elderly incontinent dog so I understand the frustration,but there are some good solutions posted regarding vet visit and dog bed types.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭SuziXX

With respect its not your children’s dog it’s your dog, your children are at college and they don’t live at home, what did you expect them to do bring the dog to college with them? They must have been about 5 when you got the dog. I don’t see how you can blame them for your frustration.
    I feel very sorry for the dog, I hope you have brought her to the vet to see if she’s ok, your catastrophizing the situation, stop forgetting to close the door, get a couch cover the dog can’t get off. Hopefully your just stressed and you will have some perspective in a day or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I've a 13yr old dog with post spay bladder incontinence. She's on meds for it. It's an easily managed condition if that's what the OPs dog has. She can still have the odd accident if she's in a deep sleep but it's very rare. She will rarely, if ever, wet the floor or her bed if she needs to get out, she'll scratch on the door, or our bedroom door to make sure we get up to let her out! Perhaps your girl needs to be let out more often to empty her bladder as well? If your cousin is home all day then they should at least facilitate this?

I've also had a large sofa cleaned in the past year and it cost me €60, so if I was the OP and worried about cash I'd be shopping around for a more reasonable cleaning company!

Also, I would imagine for a 15yr old dog she is in fairly good fettle being able to still jump up onto the couch! OP, there's plenty of solutions to keep her off the furniture - stair gates on doors, get her a crate or a room divider for her own bed. You say she'll scratch off any blankets or covers on the cushions? Maybe if your sofa has removable covers then put puppy pads in them so it stops the wee going through to the cushion part at least. Then you can wash out the cover without having to go to the expense of getting professional cleaners in.

I really wouldn't consider having her PTS at this point, and at her age, it's terribly unfair to rehome her, it would be very confusing. There can come a point when a dog who has incontinence issues begins to lose their dignity and have zero control, that may be the time but I don't think your girl is at that stage yet?

if a child wets the bed there are special sheets to put under the sheet maybe buy one of these and let the poor dog live out its life. its probably very loyal to you the poor thing as you are all the dog has in this world. be kind to the creature

bertiebomber, the first thing you do when your week ban is up is to post in yet another thread your thread banned from. It seems you are completely unable to follow simple instructions. You are a timesink and as such I have no option but to permanently ban you from this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The Dog does not appear to be suffering but merely an inconvenience to its owner which is a shame.
    The reality is it won’t live long in a new home due to the stress of a new environment so I think regrettably euthanasia is the best option here for the dogs sake

• Advertisement

the original poster has not gotten back to the thread so i presume the dog is dead RIP poor old doggie........

DBB wrote: »
    Bertiebomber, ... Don't post in this thread again.

Thanks.
    DBB
    Hellrazer wrote: »
    You've once again ignored mod instructions. 1 week ban issued. Next time you break any forum rule its permanent
    bertiebomber, the first thing you do when your week ban is up is to post in yet another thread your thread banned from. It seems you are completely unable to follow simple instructions. You are a timesink and as such I have no option but to permanently ban you from this forum.

bertiebomber, we have a serious problem here. When you are asked by a mod not to post in a thread again, you do not post in it again or you will be given escalating bans resulting in being permanently banned from the forum as happened. It is looking like I made a huge error in judgement by agreeing to lift it again. I’m going to have to have a think and consult with my co-mods to see what is to be done here. I’m having a massive face-palm moment here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭smilerf

You sound like not a nice person

the original poster has not gotten back to the thread so i presume the dog is dead RIP poor old doggie........

Ok bertiebomber, this post directed at the OP is needlessly condescending and antagonistic.

Do not post in this thread again means exactly that. Don’t post in it, ever. You were already given a week ban for ignoring this instruction previously. I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt here and assume that as it’s a bank holiday you have maybe had a few jars or something else has clouded your judgement. I am issuing you with a two week ban from the forum.

I am going to help you further by closing this thread as it appears to have run its course in any case. This will mean you will be unable to post here again. There is another thread here you are threadbanned from and if you post there when your ban is up there will be consequences. Please spend some time during your ban learning to follow simple instructions.

C.B.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement