Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai break covid rules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/investigation-launched-into-party-at-garda-station-during-level-5-restrictions-39857005.html

Hope this is investigated fully as this is shocking considering they are investigating RTE for a similar offence. Wonder will the minister or drew make a comment on this as they would if a certain party was involved. I bet it is swept under the carpet:(

Gardai are no different to any other member of society, they are human, some of them will consider the virus to be a hoax, some will think it’s a massive over reaction by the government, some will think it’s a serious health issue.

If you were to look at society in general, who do you think are breaking the guidelines? In my opinion, those that believe they are above the law, which would be at both extremes of society, the lower end and upper end , which (total generalization I know) but those that believe the guidelines don’t apply to them will always flout the law/guidelines.

We have tested positive for covid in our home and spent a month without going further than the back garden, anyone who tested positive was sent into the main bedroom with en-suite and meals were prepared and delivered to the bedroom door, we then FaceTimed for meals so we could be “together”.

My wife tested positive first, then a few days later myself and our two kids were tested, one of the kids tested positive, so kid1 went into the room with wife.
    A week later myself and kid2 were tested again, this time I tested positive and went into the room, luckily my wife was finished her isolation period because kid2 tested negative and myself and kid1 were in the bedroom, kid1 finished isolation and was allowed out of the room, but not out of the house, kid2 was tested again and for the third time tested negative, but with the protocol, kid2 had to remain isolated/limit contacts for 14days after test. I exited isolation and was allowed out of the bedroom.
    In the end, one child didn’t get a positive result and had to isolate the longest, but we know we didn’t infect anyone.

We had what we think was a mild dose and don’t know how we got it, we have all been wearing masks since April/May, my wife had 2 close contacts in the week she had a head cold (one was the GP when she and the kids got the flu vaccination) her sense of taste/smell went during a weekend so she was tested as a precaution , now she struggles with breathing after walking the stairs, I feel similar, it’s almost like there’s a belt constantly wrapped around the upper part of my chest, I never had any symptoms and didn’t feel unwell, just have the tightness.

Anyhoo.... my point is IF the gardai did have a gathering, it was silly, it was bad form but it was normal for individuals to think it was grand.

We are now more than paranoid about the virus, and working harder to prevent kid2 from getting it, we will not be meeting any of our family for Christmas and have been trying to work out the logistics of how the phones and tablets will be used to chat with family/friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Whether the people involved 'believed' in Covid or not, I would imagine that they had procedures to follow. Which begs the question, if these procedures aren't followed are there other procedures not followed?

The flip side is that this 'party' may have been no more than a cake being left in a canteen and a few words being spoken by a manager to the staff who were socially distant.

An internal review seems reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/investigation-launched-into-party-at-garda-station-during-level-5-restrictions-39857005.html

Hope this is investigated fully as this is shocking considering they are investigating RTE for a similar offence. Wonder will the minister or drew make a comment on this as they would if a certain party was involved. I bet it is swept under the carpet:(

It’s already being investigated by AGS and covered by national media, and you bet it’ll be swept under the carpet? When?

Seems to be more evidence of a sea change in AGS and rule breaking is no longer tolerated.

The absurd hypocrisy continues, coming down like a ton of bricks on any traditional publican attempting to earn a living yet arrogantly flout the regulations behind closed doors. No wonder the public are growing increasingly weary of the "do as I say, not as I do" narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Well, that's a stupid thing to do.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭mattser

Your thread title suggests it has been wrapped up.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I guess it highlights that people from pretty much every walk of life breach restrictions. Indeed I suspect the vast majority of people in the country have at some stage breached them. I equally accept that some try to abide by them to the letter (although that may be very difficult)

The particular issue here though is it was an organised event. People attending really should have known the requirements, and if unsure should have questioned the organiser before attending. Even if they did not do that when arriving they should have assessed the situation and turned back once they realised restrictions would be breached

There really is no excuse when considering the aftermath of Golfgate. Anyone attending anything like that must realise there is a chance the arrangements will become public. I guess it begs the question of how many of these things go unreported, but regardless it was totally foolish that this happened and the "culprits" should all face sanction. Otherwise it becomes a Charter for civil disobedience

Advertisement