Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethernet card needed

Options
  • 13-12-2020 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I have 250mbps internet but the built in ethernet on the motherboard can only take 100mbps. I have a cat6e cable plugged in and it's only reading 100mbps on the screen can someone point me towards a gigabyte ethernet card for the following configuration.

Ethernet card needed https://imgur.com/gallery/dOjchBe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

You can get a USB-to-Gigabit Ethernet adapter.
    Make sure you buy one that matches your USB ports, there are 2.0 and 3.0 adapters.

UPDATE: I just plugged my 3.0 adapter into a 2.0 port, and it still worked fast enough for my 250Mbps connection. So, if you buy a 3.0 adapter, but only have 2.0 ports, it will still work fine. I think the max speed on 2.0 is 480Mbps, so twice the bandwidth of my Virgin connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

I'd really like a card for future proofing. Just not sure what one to go for

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Work up from the cheapest to one you like https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TG-3468-Gigabit-Express-Network/dp/B003CFATNI/ . Note it says on the box for that one that it includes the low profile bracket which you need.

btw I often buy 3 of those at a time for spares for repair work so they work OK.

Edit> So what you are looking for OP is a card with a low profile bracket aka a half height card. Often you get a card with a standard height bracket fitted and get a low profile bracket included which you fit by removing and replacing two screw simple job.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I'd really like a card for future proofing. Just not sure what one to go for

Are you future proofing that potato PC?
    Otherwise, any motherboard you buy today will support Gigabit Ethernet.

Work up from the cheapest to one you like https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TG-3468-Gigabit-Express-Network/dp/B003CFATNI/ . Note it says on the box for that one that it includes the low profile bracket which you need.

btw I often buy 3 of those at a time for spares for repair work so they work OK.

Edit> So what you are looking for OP is a card with a low profile bracket aka a half height card. Often you get a card with a standard height bracket fitted and get a low profile bracket included which you fit by removing and replacing two screw simple job.

Thanks I found this one local in a shop called max burns
    Much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

While you have the case open, give it a good clean too, especially the CPU fan. I'm surprised it can even turn with that much dust on it.

Alun wrote: »
    While you have the case open, give it a good clean too, especially the CPU fan. I'm surprised it can even turn with that much dust on it.

Already done :)

Advertisement