Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enterprise PC no longer on network

Options
  • 13-12-2020 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi,

I have an old windows 7 pc that I inherited when a previous company I worked for crashed. The liquidator let me have it in lieu of money's owed, a good deal at the time since the solidworks license in it was worth way more than the hardware. It was an enterprise machine on a network that hasn't existed for 8 years, not a problem until now. My day to day machine is a company laptop and pc is mostly used for home stuff and accounts etc.. However, I need to set my kids up with their own logon for school emails and google classroom. Everything else they do on their phones. Although I have admin rights to the PC and have set up their user profiles locally, when I try to log them on the system looks for a logon server, which no longer exists. Any way around this?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Hi,

I have an old windows 7 pc that I inherited when a previous company I worked for crashed. The liquidator let me have it in lieu of money's owed, a good deal at the time since the solidworks license in it was worth way more than the hardware. It was an enterprise machine on a network that hasn't existed for 8 years, not a problem until now. My day to day machine is a company laptop and pc is mostly used for home stuff and accounts etc.. However, I need to set my kids up with their own logon for school emails and google classroom. Everything else they do on their phones. Although I have admin rights to the PC and have set up their user profiles locally, when I try to log them on the system looks for a logon server, which no longer exists. Any way around this?

You need to create a local user account, rather than one on the domain.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-a-user-account-in-windows-4fac6fd5-74c0-9737-69b8-6e77e00422dc#ID0EBBD=Windows_7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

MarkR wrote: »

And then take it off the domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭armstrongracer

Cheers,

I've followed this and its allowed me to set up my daughter as a local user but have managed to lock myself out of the PC in the process. The PC boots up with her as the user and when I try to switch user it doesn't give me the option of another user name, only hers with no admin rights so I cant change anything.
    Help..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

When logged on as one user does Control Alt Delete give you the option to change user?

Wake me up when it's all over.

Yes, but it goes back to my daughters login only. I think when I had the PC in enterprise mode I set her up as a local user with no admin rights, when the PC launched it was in local mode as her.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

You should be able to log in as yourself again, if you choose another user, then enter in your username as Domain\Username

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

While at it, set yourself a local admin account if don't have it yet.
    Don't have to use it, but good measure for the future.

Got in via safe mode, nothing via normal windows interface would allow for any user other than my daughter. "Other user" only bounced back to daughter and her password. Set myself up as local user with full admin rights. Bit of a PITA as I cannot find a way to link "my docs" local with my old my doc's folder in enterprise mode apart from physically copying everything over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

MarkR wrote: »
    You should be able to log in as yourself again, if you choose another user, then enter in your username as Domain\Username

This. Log in with your old account. Then set the password for the built in local admin account, then leave the domain.

Advertisement