Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC not posting but have power and components ok

Options
  • 13-12-2020 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hi, the folks pc stopped powering on a few days ago so I cracked it open and it was covered in dust. After cleaning it up it's still not powering on and posting. When the power switch is hit, the PSU and CPU fans flick for less a second as if going to start but then nothing. The power LED on the mobo is illuminated and the PSU runs fine with the paperclip test.

Here's what I've tried so far and no change:
    1. Removed everything from mobo (IO headers, all fans except CPU, CMOS battery, RAM etc) except for 24 pin mobo, 4 pin CPU and cpu fan. Started by shorting power jumper.
    2. Tried replacement CPU
    3. Tried replacement CPU + replacement mobo
    4. Tried replacement CPU, replacement mobo + replacement PSU

The only thing I'm common between all tests are case and CPU fan. Case standoffs look ok though and I would be surprised for this to suddenly start shorting after a few years use. Same for CPU fan.
    Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Advertisement