Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powercity won’t take back laptop I bought

Options
  • 13-12-2020 5:00pm

I bought a laptop in Powercity but because of Covid I wasn’t able to browse in person. I spoke to a salesperson on the phone who recommended a laptop and when I viewed it on the website it looked nice so I decided to go for it.

I went to Powercity and told them the laptop I wanted, paid for it and brought it home. When I took it out of the box I saw the screen was a good bit smaller than I realised and I wasn’t happy with it. It doesn’t look like the laptop on the website at all. The receipt says “Return/Exchange within 28 days: will be offered store credit. Box unopened and receipt required. (Excludes laptops, mobile phones and software.)

So I assumed this meant they make an exception for the box being unopened in the case of laptops.

I got in contact with Powercity and they told me they can’t take it back because I’d opened the box. I read out what it says on the receipt, and he told me that it doesn’t apply to laptops and what they mean is that they might not necessarily take the laptop back, even if it’s unopened. I told him I was very confused by the wording.

I explained that because of Covid I wasn’t able to view it in person, and surely there must be some lee way with returns under these circumstances? He told me no. I was never even informed before I made the purchase that I wouldn’t be able to return it once the box was opened, or I never would have bought it in the first place.

I’m so annoyed. Do I really have no comeback here at all?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I went to Powercity and told them the laptop I wanted, paid for it and brought it home......

The receipt says “Return/Exchange within 28 days: will be offered store credit. Box unopened and receipt required. (Excludes laptops, mobile phones and software.)

It appears this falls into the “change of mind” category.

I can’t really see myself why you are annoyed, the size of the screen is fairly straightforward to gauge before you buy.

Dav010 wrote: »
    It appears this falls into the “change of mind” category.

I can’t really see myself why you are annoyed, the size of the screen is fairly straightforward to gauge before you buy.

This one genuinely looks bigger on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭dobman88

I had a similar problem with a laptop before and the reason I was given for no refund/exchange was that they couldn't resell it with an open box as it is deemed used even though I hadnt even turned it on. Lodged a complaint and fought my case but got nowhere so just sucked it up. Still have the laptop lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The website will have the screen dimensions on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Can you link us to the site?
    Its very hard to gauge just by a picture the size of the screen.
    I am assuming it's a 14 inch screen and you were expecting a 15.6 inch. Did it mention this in the specs? Did you mention it as a requirement to the store when you were speaking with them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Unfortunately you bought it in store not off the internet so it’s not their issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,101 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Go back and check the website.
    Take a screenshot of the one you wanted.
    Next check that you have got the same model.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭SourSessions

Did the website have specs?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The receipt says “Return/Exchange within 28 days: will be offered store credit. Box unopened and receipt required. (Excludes laptops, mobile phones and software.)

So I assumed this meant they make an exception for the box being unopened in the case of laptops.

It clearly means that their Return policy excludes laptops, phones and software.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

How big was the screen you were viewing it on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

If it's for home, buy yourself a bigger monitor to work with. Even a TV will do at a pinch or you could just cast the laptop onto the TV with Chromecast.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

They don't have to take it back, terrible customer service (another reason brick and mortar stores like this will die) but they don't have to. If you'd bought it online they would have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

They don't have to take it back, terrible customer service (another reason brick and mortar stores like this will die) but they don't have to. If you'd bought it online they would have to.

What?

The op has opened the laptop, the receipt clearly outlines their returns policy. I’m struggling to see how this is anything other than buyers remorse.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Tomtata

I once bought a €15 kettle from Powercity it was labeled blue + pic of blue kettle on the front. When I opened it at home it was red? I'll never forget the amount of hassle the rep gave me instore to exchange it (it was 15 poxy euros).. I eventually got it changed for the correct color & had to open the box instore to confirm.

That was the last time I ever bought anything from them ~8 years ago Coolock branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,847 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Tomtata wrote: »
    I once bought a €15 kettle from Powercity it was labeled blue + pic of blue kettle on the front. When I opened it at home it was red? I'll never forget the amount of hassle the rep gave me instore to exchange it (it was 15 poxy euros).. I eventually got it changed for the correct color & had to open the box instore to confirm.

That was the last time I ever bought anything from them ~8 years ago Coolock branch.

That's hardly comparable or relevant.

As you bought and paid instore you're screwed. I wouldn't even try to argue with Powercity, they are the most unhelpful shower at the best of times. The only time I ever managed to return something to them and got a refund, was when I purchased and paid online, then collected.

Online sales are usually covered under the distance selling regulations.

Sell the laptop on adverts, and buy another laptop elsewhere. This time, pick and pay online, and then collect, if you can't browse instore. Chalk it up to experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Tomtata

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    That's hardly comparable or relevant.

That's True - the box opening reminded me :) - T&C's cleared stated - op just unlucky

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You do know what companies do when their opposition loses/closes?

BTW returns of online purchases are a huge environmental disaster as most are dumped and not but back into the system.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/marketplace-amazon-returns-1.5753714

https://www.bbcearth.com/blog/%3Farticle%3Dyour-brand-new-returns-end-up-in-landfill/

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

The lesson here is don't buy anything from your local shops. Buy online, preferably on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

The lesson here is don't buy anything from your local shops. Buy online, preferably on Amazon.

But not on Amazon.co.uk after 31 Dec 2020

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Once the seal has been broken on the box, Amazon won't take it back either. What if the purchaser has placed a trojan or key logger on the device? No reputable electronics outlet will accept a laptop as a return after the seal has been broken unless it's faulty.

Must be lucky as I have returned electronic items to Amazon no bother. I have even been credited for the return before they have received the item.
    Contrast this with the local shops. Even with the most genuine excuse, they put you through the hoops. if you're lucky they will send the gods for repair. You buy something with your hard earned cash and are expected to accept a repaired item. Buy local? Don't be a fool. Shower of crooks.
    People look back nostalgically at the local draper shops etc years ago in the local town. Well I remember they wouldn't let you leave the shop without buying some rubbish you didn't want. Load of gangsters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Must be lucky as I have returned electronic items to Amazon no bother. I have even been credited for the return before they have received the item.
    Contrast this with the local shops. Even with the most genuine excuse, they put you through the hoops. if you're lucky they will send the gods for repair. You buy something with your hard earned cash and are expected to accept a repaired item. Buy local? Don't be a fool. Shower of crooks.
    People look back nostalgically at the local draper shops etc years ago in the local town. Well I remember they wouldn't let you leave the shop without buying some rubbish you didn't want. Load of gangsters!

Due to a little thing called distance selling regulations Amazon have no choice but to take things back.
    Not comparable but what the hell.

Exactly. That's why you should avoid bricks and mortar shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Not fair to slate all local shops. I make a point of buying local if at all possible and find most stores are very responsible and helpful.

Also, when the internet shopping craze has closed all the local small shops, we are going to have to replace commercial rates with some other charges, local jobs will also be hard to replace.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Due to a little thing called distance selling regulations Amazon have no choice but to take things back.
    Not comparable but what the hell.

Amazon will tell you to pay for the return now for change of mind. They didn't before, but changed recently.

The local shops will only survive of they offer the same rights as the online shops.

I constantly hear the call to buy Irish, but they never tell you about their after sales rules and regs should anything go wrong.
    That's why I buy online if at all possible.

The thing is if local shops offered the same returns conditions as the online shops, they would clean up. Very few people need to return goods. But if you know you can return goods without any quibble, you will buy no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

Because the OP is incapable of reading screen dimensions, people should avoid bricks and mortar shops?

Their screen dimensions are literally listed before you even click on the laptop to get the full spec.

HE2DGUU.png

• Advertisement

I once bought a microwave from PC that was broken. Bought and paid online, click and collect.

Brought it home, and it was completely dead. Tried to return it the next day and the store manager tried to fob me off with a repair. He basically accused me of breaking it, even said I might have dropped it on the way to the car. I said it was just as likely a staff member had dropped it in the stock room.

I stood my ground and told him I'd purchased online and had 14 days to return under the distance selling regulations. He had to call head office, but they confirmed he had to take the microwave back.

The only sucking point then was they issued the refund by cheque from head office.

Buy local if you wish, but go to anyone except PC.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement