Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powercity won’t take back laptop I bought

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Hi, OP here.

Just to clarify, because of Covid in store browsing is not permitted, so I only had the option to view it online and then collect it in store. They didn't show me it beforehand but it looked fine on the website so I was happy enough to make the purchase.

I am pretty annoyed at their policy, because as many have mentioned, had I bought it online there would have been no issue with returning it. But I'm stuck with it now and €450 really isn't cheap. I really feel that the sale assistants should tell customers, at the till, that they will NOT be able to return an opened item. But of course they won't do that.

But look, there are worse things happening in the world. I have a working laptop, it's fine. And I've learned a lesson. I'll be 100% avoiding Powercity in the future.

That's the law, why would they tell every customer? Should they tell you all the other laws too?

JDxtra wrote: »
    But what are PowerCity going to do with an opened laptop (now second hand). How are they to know it has not been tampered with or parts removed/swapped?

Currys PC World have a small section where they sell open box goods too.

I'd understand if retailers charged a restocking fee, for "change of mind" items and only processed refunds after checking the item was not tampered with etc, which also covered them for the cost of selling at a reduced "open box" price.

I know online clothing retailers who have it in their terms and conditions that all tags must be attached, and they have the right to inspect goods returned before refunding or rejecting.

But just leaving someone who made a genuine mistake stuck with an expensive item like a laptop, is not going to encourage repeat business!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,848 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

The lesson here is don't buy anything from your local shops. Buy online, preferably on Amazon.

When did Amazon start taking back any items without restrictions? News to me that thy take tech back in an opened condition due to a change of mind.

GarIT wrote: »
    That's the law, why would they tell every customer? Should they tell you all the other laws too?

Out of pure common decency. Their policy only becomes clear after you have made the purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    When did Amazon start taking back any items without restrictions? News to me that thy take tech back in an opened condition due to a change of mind.

I don't know. All I know is that they have taken back lots of stuff from me which the local shop wouldn't. I have even been credited for goods which they as yet hadn't received.

• Advertisement

Out of pure common decency. Their policy only becomes clear after you have made the purchase.

Tbh I'd hate it if the cashier wanted to have a 15 min chat listing off all the laws everytime I bought anything.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »

I have lots of reasons not to like Amazon but as far as I know always.

OP I’d say cut your losses, don’t give everyone here any more reason to revel in what’s happened, and put it down to experience. It’s lousy on the part of Power City, especially the way things were working regarding in-store browsing, but they have themselves well covered unfortunately. Make the best of what you’re left with and just make sure they never get a cent off you again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

But just leaving someone who made a genuine mistake stuck with an expensive item like a laptop, is not going to encourage repeat business!
    Would you be happy to purchase an unsealed laptop as new? Knowing it may have been in someone else's possession for a number of days and may have who know what kind of trojans and key loggers installed?

These boxes are factory sealed and sealed for a reason!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Dav010 wrote: »
    What?

The op has opened the laptop, the receipt clearly outlines their returns policy. I’m struggling to see how this is anything other than buyers remorse.
    You are not disagreeing with anything I said, or even talking about it. The OP clearly messed up. However, if the OP had bought the laptop online, they could return it with no issue. The point is, the shops are deterring people from ever shopping in them due to things like this. Why would you accept less rights and pay more? These guys probably lost another customer for life, who most likely would have gotten a different laptop from them, or been forced to with credit.
    Del2005 wrote: »
    You do know what companies do when their opposition loses/closes?

BTW returns of online purchases are a huge environmental disaster as most are dumped and not but back into the system.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/marketplace-amazon-returns-1.5753714

https://www.bbcearth.com/blog/%3Farticle%3Dyour-brand-new-returns-end-up-in-landfill/
    Scan or whatever laptops selling site are not keeping their prices lower because this store exists, they are already way cheaper, it doesn't matter if more expensive B&M stores close, their competition is online.

Returned laptops get resold (that's how I got mine), so while returns like that should be thought about from an environmental aspect, those concerns do not generally apply in this case and they should be thought about separately to issues like this in any case.

• Advertisement

I returned bluetooth headphones to Amazon that were refunded before they received them back.

They paid the postage too, even though they were change of mind items. (uncomfortable fit, which technially isn't a fault). Once the item barcode was scanned in, it triggered the refund.

They did note in the notification email that if the items weren't received, they could charge my card again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

They don't have to take it back, terrible customer service (another reason brick and mortar stores like this will die) but they don't have to. If you'd bought it online they would have to.

No they wouldn't, the specs are online, if a person can't figure the size of a screen maybe they should have bought online.

I returned bluetooth headphones to Amazon that were refunded before they received them back.

They paid the postage too, even though they were change of mind items. (uncomfortable fit, which technially isn't a fault). Once the item barcode was scanned in, it triggered the refund.

They did note in the notification email that if the items weren't received, they could charge my card again.

And what does that have to do with this? Companies have different policies.

Scotty # wrote: »
    Would you be happy to purchase an unsealed laptop as new? Knowing it may have been in someone else's possession for a number of days and may have who know what kind of trojans and key loggers installed?

These boxes are factory sealed and sealed for a reason!

I have bought refurbished laptops before, but not from Amazon. I have bought plenty of other "open box" items from Amazon Warehouse.

So I guess, yes, I would! Dependant on the retailer and if there were any additional terms and conditions they put on the sale.

"No returns" would be a dealbreaker for me.

The OP clearly messed up. However, if the OP had bought the laptop online, they could return it with no issue.
    This is not true.

See Consumer Rights Association...
    Exclusions from the cooling-off period
    For most items you buy online, over the phone, at your doorstep or by post you will have a cooling-off period but there are some exclusions to this. Some examples include:
    • Perishable goods such as food
    • Goods that are personalised or custom-made, for example, a t-shirt with your name on it, jewellery that has been engraved, or furniture built to your specification
    • Newspapers or magazines, although you do have a right to cancel subscriptions
    • Gaming or lottery services
    • Items that have been unsealed or which cannot be returned for hygiene reasons, for example, underwear, cosmetics, earrings
    • Tickets for events with a specific date or time – for example, concerts or sporting events
    • Reservations for hotels or holiday homes for a specific date or period of time
    • Car rental

I have bought refurbished laptops before, but not from Amazon. I have bought plenty of other "open box" items from Amazon Warehouse.

So I guess, yes, I would! Dependant on the retailer and if there were any additional terms and conditions they put on the sale.

"No returns" would be a dealbreaker for me.
    'Openbox' and 'refurbished' are not items being sold as 'new'. They are discounted and usually have a lesser warranty.

Buying an open box laptop and not reformatting and reinstalling an operating system would be very foolish.

I'll be 100% avoiding Powercity in the future.

And there you have it really.

This is the consequence for retailers who have inflexible returns policies, even if its for change of mind.

Loss of return custom. No pun intended.

Poorside wrote: »
    And what does that have to do with this? Companies have different policies.

Its relevant to the fact that companies HAVE different policies, and those with more flexible return policies will get a customer's repeat business.

Those with inflexible policies (like PC) may burn an unknowing customer once, and that person will never shop with them again.

Like myself, and now, apparently, the OP.

'Openbox' and 'refurbished' are not items being sold as 'new'. They are discounted and usually have a lesser warranty.

Buying an open box laptop and not reformatting and reinstalling an operating system would be very foolish.

But could also have keyloggers installed...

I'd have to check, but as far as I know, Amazon Warehouse give the same guarantee on their open box items as they do new.

Anyway, you've already said Amazon don't accept returns of laptops when they clearly do.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,147 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Stores can't make up their own rules, the OP has rights. If paid with card get the payment cancelled

• Advertisement

Anyway, you've already said Amazon don't accept returns of laptops when they clearly do.

Amazon's return policy....
    Computers and Electronics
    New desktop, laptops, or tablets (excluding Kindle E-readers and Fires) purchased from Amazon.com that didn't start when they arrived, arrived in damaged condition, or is still in an unopened box can be returned for a full refund within 30 days of purchase.
    Amazon.com may test computers that are returned because they didn't start when they arrived and impose a customer fee equal to 15 percent of the product sales price if the customer misrepresents the condition of the product.

Stores can't make up their own rules, the OP has rights. If paid with card get the payment cancelled

They have certain rights, consumers can't make up their own rules.

The store has the right to refuse returns and refunds if the product is not faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭JDxtra

That's a ridiculous suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is no rule to require change of mind returns at all. That's down to an individual store.

Additionally, no bank in the world would even entertain a chargeback for this.
    This is not true.

See Consumer Rights Association...

You are allowed open packaging for inspection on distance selling - this refers to hygiene seals on items. Laptops don't have this.

But its irrelevant anyway.

L1011 wrote: »
    You are allowed open packaging for inspection on distance selling - this refers to hygiene seals on items. Laptops don't have this.

But its irrelevant anyway.

Laptops are boxed with a factory seal. Once broken, the laptop is no longer new. It can not be returned under the distance selling act.

Opening a package and breaking a seal are two completely different things!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

And there you have it really.

This is the consequence for retailers who have inflexible returns policies, even if its for change of mind.

Loss of return custom. No pun intended.

Would you pay full price for a laptop that had its box seal broken and no guarantee that it had not been used?

I wouldn't.

Customers need to do just a little checking themselves. A tiny bit of self awareness of what they are buying.

It's really not that difficult.

BTW, even if bought online and opened / switched on there's no explicit right to return

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Opening a package and breaking a seal are two completely different things!

You are wildly misinterpreting the regulations here.

But anyway - this is completely irrelevant and off-topic for this thread!

Can everyone stop discussing distance selling regulations please.

To be fair to the OP, it's a really annoying situation to find yourself in. Of course people who are on Boards regularly will likely know their way around a Laptop, Desktop or Tablet much more than some people who never had a need for a laptop before but are now working or learning from home and have a newfound need for such tech.

That said, although I'm not a consumer expert, it is fairly common knowledge to know that, unless faulty, laptops, computers in general, memory sticks/hard drives, dash cams and sat navs, or pretty much anything with a 'memory' will generally not be accepted as a return due to you having a change of mind/deciding you don't like it. These are all items that, once opened, are worthless to the store that sold them.

In the crappy situation you're in, OP, I'd go down the adverts/facebook marketplace route and try to flog it second hand. See can you knock 30% off the price and include the receipt to the purchaser knows it's still new enough. There's no point trying to knock 10-15% off as no one will buy it (unless it was very expensive) as most people will just buy new unless there's a worthwhile saving to be had.

I also wouldn't be too quick to knock PowerCity (or any physical stores). Obviously in this situation you didn't get the opportunity to do it (for some reason?) but physical stores are a great way to actually hold, use, touch or even just see something in-person before committing to it. Personally, I've found PowerCity to be great, in that I managed to kit out my kitchen for a lot less than any other stores, and they were fast and personable when I was buying.

If I tried to return a laptop to them, or to DID or Harvey's or pretty much any other shop, I'd face the same exact issues you're facing now. It's not a PowerCity specific problem you have. Seems unfair that they're getting nailed to the wall for following proper procedure here.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    You are wildly misinterpreting the regulations here.

[/B]

Really? Here's the actual wording of the directive. I don't know what other way there is to interpret it other than if you break the seal it no longer returnable.
    (2) This Part does not apply to any of the following distance contracts and off-premises contracts concluded between a trader and a consumer:

(a) service contracts, after the service has been fully performed if the performance has begun with—
    (i) the consumer’s prior express consent, and
    (ii) the consumer’s acknowledgement that he or she will lose the right to cancel the contract once the contract has been fully performed by the trader;
    (b) contracts for the supply of digital content not supplied on a tangible medium where the performance has begun with the consumer’s prior express consent and with the consumer’s acknowledgement that he or she thereby loses the right to cancel the contract
    (c) contracts for the supply of goods or services whose price is dependent on fluctuations in the financial market that may occur during the cancellation period and that cannot be controlled by the trader;
    (d) contracts for the supply of non-prefabricated goods made on the basis of an individual choice of, or decision by, the consumer;
    (e) contracts for the supply of goods that are clearly personalised;
    (f) contracts for the supply of goods that are liable to deteriorate or expire rapidly;
    (g) contracts for the supply of sealed goods that—
    (i) are not suitable for return for health protection and hygiene reasons,
    (ii) were unsealed after delivery;
    (h) contracts for the supply of goods that are, according to their nature, inseparably mixed with other items after their delivery;
    (i) contracts for the supply of alcoholic beverages where—
    (i) the price has been agreed at the time of the conclusion of the sales contract,
    (ii) the delivery of the beverages can only take place after 30 days from the conclusion of the sales contract, and
    (iii) the value of the beverages is dependent on fluctuations in the market that cannot be controlled by the trader;
    (j) contracts where the consumer has specifically requested a visit from the trader for the purpose of carrying out urgent repairs or maintenance;

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement