Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powercity won’t take back laptop I bought

Options

Comments

Darc19 wrote: »
    Would you pay full price for a laptop that had its box seal broken and no guarantee that it had not been used?

I wouldn't.

Customers need to do just a little checking themselves. A tiny bit of self awareness of what they are buying.

It's really not that difficult.

BTW, even if bought online and opened / switched on there's no explicit right to return

Full price? No. But I have bought open box items before, and would again.

I wouldn't buy anything from PC, ever.

As for your comment on awareness, the OP did go to the trouble of calling and asking a salesperson for recommendations, so I think that comment is a little unfair to them, considering they couldn't browse in-store, due to covid restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Scotty # wrote: »
    Really? Here's the actual wording of the directive. I don't know what other way there is to interpret it other than if you break the seal it no longer returnable.

You are deliberately ignoring the line in between that is a required part of the regs. The bit about "health and hygiene reasons". This does not apply to a laptop!

The second line you quoted is a run-on clause for this; it does not exist in isolation to the health and hygiene section. Clause G is parts I and II together, not splittable.

Anyway - off topic. Stop replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Full price? No. But I have bought open box items before, and would again.

I wouldn't buy anything from PC, ever.

As for your comment on awareness, the OP went to the trouble of calling and asking for recommendations, so I think that comment is a little unfair, considering they also couldn't browse instore, due to covid restrictions.

That's fair enough normally, issue here is screen size, that's a ridiculous reason to return an item, do some research, get out a ruler

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

I've bought at least 5 laptops brand new off Dell and can't recall any of them being sealed except a bit of tape across the top of the first bit of cardboard sure someone's only pushed them into the box for the custom build a couple of days beforehand .. perhaps I am a different market

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Hi OP, What laptop is it? Link please. You may be able to sell it to Cex for around what you bought it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

You are not disagreeing with anything I said, or even talking about it. The OP clearly messed up. However, if the OP had bought the laptop online, they could return it with no issue. The point is, the shops are deterring people from ever shopping in them due to things like this. Why would you accept less rights and pay more? These guys probably lost another customer for life, who most likely would have gotten a different laptop from them, or been forced to with credit.

Scan or whatever laptops selling site are not keeping their prices lower because this store exists, they are already way cheaper, it doesn't matter if more expensive B&M stores close, their competition is online.

Returned laptops get resold (that's how I got mine), so while returns like that should be thought about from an environmental aspect, those concerns do not generally apply in this case and they should be thought about separately to issues like this in any case.
    ^^^ This is exactly the way I see it too. If the OP had bought it online they would have 14 days cooling off period. If bought in a B&M, the store does not legally have to take it back, but if the packaging and everything else was intact, the buyer had only purchased it recently (within the stores own returns for credit store policy for example), then it might be in the stores better interest to accept it back. If one person reading this thread decides to buy a laptop online instead of going to the OPs store, then that is at least two customers they have lost as a result of this.
    The OP made the purchase at a time when it was easier to buy online, and safer. More advantages (cooling off period) and still decided to support an Irish B&m store that they were unable to check out in person during covid (similar to online buying). I personally think it would have been in the companies better interest to have refunded, even for store credit.

Scotty # wrote: »
    This is not true.

See Consumer Rights Association...

[https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Suckit wrote: »
    ^^^ This is exactly the way I see it too. If the OP had bought it online they would have 14 days cooling off period. If bought in a B&M, the store does not legally have to take it back, but if the packaging and everything else was intact, the buyer had only purchased it recently (within the stores own returns for credit store policy for example), then it might be in the stores better interest to accept it back. If one person reading this thread decides to buy a laptop online instead of going to the OPs store, then that is at least two customers they have lost as a result of this.
    The OP made the purchase at a time when it was easier to buy online, and safer. More advantages (cooling off period) and still decided to support an Irish B&m store that they were unable to check out in person during covid (similar to online buying). I personally think it would have been in the companies better interest to have refunded, even for store credit.

[https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

Nine pages, the op bought it in a shop, not online, what has the shop done wrong here? Nothing. Can anyone say the op shouldn’t know how big a laptop screen is when you read the spec online?

It’s on the buyers best interest to act responsibly.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Nine pages, the op bought it in a shop, not online, what has the shop done wrong here? Nothing. Can anyone say the op shouldn’t know how big a laptop screen is when you read the spec online?

It’s on the buyers best interest to act responsibly.
    Nine pages. The OP made the purchase in the store, but did the browsing online because they couldn't physically enter the store during lockdown.. Which is almost identical to buying online, with also getting some help from a sales rep on the phone.

They only went to the store to pay and collect.
    If you directing that question to me, you will see in either of my posts I do not say that the store has done anything wrong, as a matter of fact I point out that the store has no legal obligation to do anything.
    Forgetting the screen size, if the OP had bought online, they do not need ANY reason to return the item, people have returned without any reason at all.
    The OP's decision was undoubtedly driven by the sales rep.
    What I am saying is, it would probably be in the stores better interest to refund for store credit. They wouldn't have a thread here for starters that has probably made more people realise it is better to buy online than in store.

Nine pages. The OP made the purchase in the store, but did the browsing online because they couldn't physically enter the store during lockdown.. Which is almost identical to buying online, with also getting some help from a sales rep on the phone.

They only went to the store to pay and collect.
    If you directing that question to me, you will see in either of my posts I do not say that the store has done anything wrong, as a matter of fact I point out that the store has no legal obligation to do anything.
    Forgetting the screen size, if the OP had bought online, they do not need ANY reason to return the item, people have returned without any reason at all.
    The OP's decision was undoubtedly driven by the sales rep.
    What I am saying is, it would probably be in the stores better interest to refund for store credit. They wouldn't have a thread here for starters that has probably made more people realise it is better to buy online than in store.

Browsing online is not identical to buying online.

If I browse 13” laptops and then buy one in a shop, there is only one person responsible if it isn’t big enough for my needs, why should the shop get a bad rep for my poor choice?

Browsing online is not identical to buying online.
    As I said.. It is almost identical.

I can't think of many differences other than the actual payment.

Regardless, that is not my point anyway.

• Advertisement

As I said.. It is almost identical.

I can't think of many differences other than the actual payment.

Regardless, that is not my point anyway.

It isn’t almost identical and the difference is distant selling legislation.

It isn’t almost identical and the difference is distant selling legislation.
    Again, not my point. But browsing online and only able to make the actual payment at the store (not physically view/inspect the item) is almost identical. The difference is distant selling legislation, in this case the OP more or less did that, but not in the eyes of the law.

That is fine.
    Back to my point. It is not a case of legal or distant selling.. The OP browsed online, phoned the store and got an agent. The agent recommended a laptop, the OP went in and purchased it without looking at it in store. Brought it home and opened it.
    Didn't like it, and asked to take it back and the store said no. That is all fine, and legal.
    IMHO, it would be in the stores best interest to take it back and refund store credit.
    It is not a legal discussion, or even an argument that you could change my mind.
    The OP decided to make a purchase supporting an Irish business in a B&M store. The OP is disappointed with the purchase. It is at the stores discretion to take it back and offer a refund or store credit. They did neither. The OP has since learned that they would have been better off buying online.
    The op will likely buy online the next time, but not from them. As will many others who have seen this thread.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yep compare that this occurrence to one with richer sounds where I returned an item. I had accidentally voided the warranty. They told me how I did, why it counts as voiding the warranty and so on, then said they would send me a replacement anyway, and since my exact item wasn't in stock they listed off a ton of alternatives with the pros and cons. I will happily shop in a B&M store like that and now, never in Power City.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I don't think anyone who has gone against PC has actually read the OP.

Poster said he looked online, called and asked questions, but clearly states that he simply went to the store, asked for model abc1, paid and went home.

Why did the op not inspect the laptop at that point? The opportunity was there.

PC have done nothing wrong.

Again, not my point. But browsing online and only able to make the actual payment at the store (not physically view/inspect the item) is almost identical. The difference is distant selling legislation, in this case the OP more or less did that, but not in the eyes of the law.

That is fine.
    Back to my point. It is not a case of legal or distant selling.. The OP browsed online, phoned the store and got an agent. The agent recommended a laptop, the OP went in and purchased it without looking at it in store. Brought it home and opened it.
    Didn't like it, and asked to take it back and the store said no. That is all fine, and legal.
    IMHO, it would be in the stores best interest to take it back and refund store credit.
    It is not a legal discussion, or even an argument that you could change my mind.
    The OP decided to make a purchase supporting an Irish business in a B&M store. The OP is disappointed with the purchase. It is at the stores discretion to take it back and offer a refund or store credit. They did neither. The OP has since learned that they would have been better off buying online.
    The op will likely buy online the next time, but not from them. As will many others who have seen this thread.

It’s a bit trite to say a shop is in someway at fault because a buyer, having looked up an item online, decides it doesn’t meet their requirements.

If the op wanted the protection of distance selling legislation, well, there is an obvious solution to that.

It’s a bit trite to say a shop is in someway at fault because a buyer, having looked up an item online, decides it doesn’t meet their requirements.

If the op wanted the protection of distance selling legislation, well, there is an obvious solution to that.
    Again.

I am not and have never said the shop is at fault.

Again.

I am not and have never said the shop is at fault.

Try telling the op to suck it up, the shop is completely blameless. What about the person who buys a “new” laptop someone else has booted up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Suckit wrote:

You could enter power city during the level 5 couldn't you? You queued up outside, got just inside the door where you were met by a sales rep. You told what you wanted to buy & he/she brought you to the laptop section. They only allowed one rep with customer at each section at a time but you had the same service as usual. You just couldn't wander around the store but you could still see the laptop running, touch it etc. This is how Power City in Coolock worked when I visited. During level 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Thin White Duck

In balance, I purchased a LG OLED tv from Powercity that developed an intermittent panel fault that was gradually getting worse. Phoned them up and was asked to bring it in store for testing - explained that it was intermittent and might not repeat unless repeatedly tested and they agreed there and then to replace it. A very positive experience.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    You could enter power city during the level 5 couldn't you? You queued up outside, got just inside the door where you were met by a sales rep. You told what you wanted to buy & he/she brought you to the laptop section. They only allowed one rep with customer at each section at a time but you had the same service as usual. You just couldn't wander around the store but you could still see the laptop running, touch it etc. This is how Power City in Coolock worked when I visited. During level 5.

OP here. No this was not my experience. No one was allowed into the laptop section, or the actual store, just to the till. I paid for it and they asked me to wait outside the store, where someone brought out the boxed laptop to me.

In terms of screen size, there is a block on the bottom of the screen which takes up some of the screen size and makes it appear smaller. Not sure how else to describe it. And this isn’t about specs, or not having done my research (which I did), it’s about a terrible inflexible returns policy and bad customer service that would deter anyone from shopping there again.

But as I said a few posts back, not much I can do about it. It’s annoying but I’ve learned a lesson from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,531 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

In terms of screen size, there is a block on the bottom of the screen which takes up some of the screen size and makes it appear smaller. Not sure how else to describe it. And this isn’t about specs, or not having done my research (which I did), it’s about a terrible inflexible returns policy and bad customer service that would deter anyone from shopping there again.

Screen size is measured from the actual screen not the size of the frame and everything

IF their description is different from that then you have reason for a return, if not then no reason (but retailers use the manufacturers specs so I highly doubt they are)

It’s annoying but I’ve learned a lesson from it.

Let’s hope the lesson learned is not to blame others when you make a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

The lesson for B and M stores is to offer the same rights as online stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    That's hardly comparable or relevant.

Is the level of after sales service not relevent at all. ?

For example, I only purchase major electrical goods now from harvey normans, specifically because their after sales service is so good. I would never purchase from the likes of curries or pc world because their after sales service is so bad.

A similar story to the kettle one, I purchased a not inexpensive kettle from HN just over a year and a half ago. It stopped working last week, I took it in to them, and they just took it back off me and gave me a brand new one there and then.

I know no other retailer that offers that level of after sales service.

For example, I only purchase major electrical goods now from harvey normans, specifically because their after sales service is so good. I would never purchase from the likes of curries or pc world because their after sales service is so bad.

A similar story to the kettle one, I purchased a not inexpensive kettle from HN just over a year and a half ago. It stopped working last week, I took it in to them, and they just took it back off me and gave me a brand new one there and then.

Again, not comparable. Your problem is covered by consumer legislation, if HN didn’t help you out, you have rights under the SoGASA, the op effectively changed his/her mind after realising the screen is too small for his/her needs. In your case, providing the fault wasn’t due to misuse, HN can be compelled to help you, so it is no surprise they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,847 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Again, that's a completely different consumer issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The op researched online.
    They physically went into the shop and bought it.
    They had an opportunity to examine the product.

Power City, ridiculously, won't let people over the threshold. They've counters set up just inside the door blocking off the shop, you cannot browse or look around. You tell them what you want and they get it from the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

eight pages of posts on such a simple issue.

The OP obviously browsed the laptop options on the site - front and center on the every laptop on their site is the actual screen size. There is also a very visible search filter for screen size.

no reasonable person would assume that a laptop thumbnail pic on a website would be representative of the actual size ... and the screen size is mentioned another couple of times on the full specs on the website.

The OP confirmed that they spoke to the sales rep and also viewed the item online - so they obviously knew the screen size that they ordered. This is firmly in the change of mind sphere - could be argued distance selling ... but this is negated by the fact that the product has been opened.

Those who believe that PowerCity should just accept a change of mind and take back an opened laptop obviously have no understanding of retail. Powercity probably make about 10% markup on this laptop before expenses - .. so PC made about €40 - before factoring in all the costs of retail.

If they took this back and give credit - would they be able to sell it for full retail price? no .. and if they did you'd be sure the person who paid full price for an opened product would be unhappy. So they would have to resell at a knock down price and probably lose money on the transaction.

Powercity sell laptops to make money - business practices that cost money are not really sustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I had awful trouble with HN this year with a damaged table leaf they sent me, it took 2 months to get the replacement sent out, I had flagged it on day of delivery they confirmed that they had a replacement for it in their warehouse which is only a few miles from my house and I had to chase them up severs times before saying I’d just collect it in store as their customer service agents were just liars.
    For every good story someone will have a bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

OP didn't do enough research and as a result bought something that wasn't actually what they wanted. I don't see why the shop should do anything here. They certainly aren't obliged to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement