Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powercity won’t take back laptop I bought

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

whippet wrote: »
    eight pages of posts on such a simple issue.

The OP obviously browsed the laptop options on the site - front and center on the every laptop on their site is the actual screen size. There is also a very visible search filter for screen size.

no reasonable person would assume that a laptop thumbnail pic on a website would be representative of the actual size ... and the screen size is mentioned another couple of times on the full specs on the website.

The OP confirmed that they spoke to the sales rep and also viewed the item online - so they obviously knew the screen size that they ordered. This is firmly in the change of mind sphere - could be argued distance selling ... but this is negated by the fact that the product has been opened.

Those who believe that PowerCity should just accept a change of mind and take back an opened laptop obviously have no understanding of retail. Powercity probably make about 10% markup on this laptop before expenses - .. so PC made about €40 - before factoring in all the costs of retail.

If they took this back and give credit - would they be able to sell it for full retail price? no .. and if they did you'd be sure the person who paid full price for an opened product would be unhappy. So they would have to resell at a knock down price and probably lose money on the transaction.

Powercity sell laptops to make money - business practices that cost money are not really sustainable.
    If it was argued successfully, it would not be negated because the product has been opened.

If they took it back and offered store credit then they could actually make more money.
    Plenty of businesses sell open box stock/ex display models all the time, including Powercity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

OP here. No this was not my experience. No one was allowed into the laptop section, or the actual store, just to the till. I paid for it and they asked me to wait outside the store, where someone brought out the boxed laptop to me.

If you weren't allowed to view the good in store, why not write an email to the customer care, outline you researched the laptop on their website, spoke to them by phone and decided to buy it then picked it up outside the store. You were not given an opportunity to view it in person.

Ask them the exchange it for model xyx + difference in price. If not, as the sale is closer to an online sale/click and collect with no opportunity to inspect it, you will bring it to the small claims court. If they say no file claim with the small claims court and send them any reference number.

When did you buy it, were the stores not open as normal during level 5

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

How do B&M's stay in business if they made €40 on a laptop? How is it only €40 when it's probably even cheaper than that base price on an online shop?
    My laptop is one somebody returned, people resell them all the time, they don't just get dumped. Somebody will want it.

What kind of sales person does not ask what size screen somebody wants for a laptop? Obviously somebody talking to a sales rep about a laptop does not know a lot about them (no offense OP).

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

How do B&M's stay in business if they made €40 on a laptop? How is it only €40 when it's probably even cheaper than that base price on an online shop?
    My laptop is one somebody returned, people resell them all the time, they don't just get dumped. Somebody will want it.

What kind of sales person does not ask what size screen somebody wants for a laptop? Obviously somebody talking to a sales rep about a laptop does not know a lot about them (no offense OP).

€40 is possibly an over-estimate. Online retailers are buying in significantly higher volume and have lower costs bases

If someone asks for a very specific model, you don't generally ask the customer *anything* - they've stated what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭JDxtra

L1011 wrote: »
    If someone asks for a very specific model, you don't generally ask the customer *anything* - they've stated what they want.

Exactly this.

There was no mis-selling. OP didn't do proper research and went to a store to request a specific model. Returns policy was clear and makes sense.

I have always found Power City to be an excellent Irish retailer and would generally try to use them for large electrical purchases. Their web site is a bit 1990s, but it is very functional and well supported behind the scenes. It's a shame to see the "never shop there again" type comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Why is this thread 9 pages long...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

If this is click and collect then it might be regarded as distance selling and in that case you have 14 days to change your mind.
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer/shopping/shopping_online.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

L1011 wrote: »
    €40 is possibly an over-estimate. Online retailers are buying in significantly higher volume and have lower costs bases
    If an online retailer can sell an item for less than a B&M can even buy it for, within the next decade I doubt they will exist.
    I was referring to: "I spoke to a salesperson on the phone who recommended a laptop and when I viewed it on the website it looked nice so I decided to go for it."

I choose laptops for people all the time, it's the second question I ask. Part of the reason people here are bagging on the OP because they are much more savvy with technology than them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

If this is click and collect then it might be regarded as distance selling and in that case you have 14 days to change your mind.
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer/shopping/shopping_online.html

It wasn’t, he clearly said he went to the shop told the guy what he wanted he then paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I always tell people to go into a shop and see what screen size and quality they like, and also the keyboard. If you can't get to the shop, have look at the ones friends and family have.

Then buy it online.

Better refund policy and usually their repair policy if it develops a problem is much better than going to a shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

It's irrelevant whether he bought it online or not. The fact of the matter is he broke the factory seal and the retailer can no longer trust it to be a secure device. It can not be resold as new once the seal has been broken. This is EXACTLY the reason these devices are sealed to begin with and it's exactly the reason Powercity and other retailers have such clauses in their returns policy! It's not like returning a kettle or microwave.

Any retailer who would accept such a return, with the intention of reselling, would be leaving themselves open to prosecution should the device later turn out to have been compromised.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Scotty # wrote: »
    It's irrelevant whether he bought it online or not. The fact of the matter is he broke the factory seal and the retailer can no longer trust it to be a secure device. It can not be resold as new once the seal has been broken. This is EXACTLY the reason these devices are sealed to begin with and it's exactly the reason Powercity and other retailers have such clauses in their returns policy! It's not like returning a kettle or microwave.

Any retailer who would accept such a return, with the intention of reselling, would be leaving themselves open to prosecution should the device later turn out to have been compromised.

Prosecuted for?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

POWERCITY are notorious for this carry on.

" It says it on the receipt" you dont get your reciept until after purchase.
    this is very poor from Powercity. . . . . but in fairness you really should have known what you are buying in detail.
    a quick trip to youtube will give you any information on any laptop.

I do think you have a legitimate case but you will have to jump tru hoops to follow tru on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Dav010 wrote: »
    Prosecuted for?

Lets say you are sold a laptop with the seal broken. A month later your bank account has been cleared out or your identity used to borrow €50k fraudulently. It later turns out that the laptop you bought had been sold previously to someone who decided they didn't want it and returned it after two days but not before they installed key loggers enabling them to see all your financial/business/personal details/transactions/passwords...

The shop that sold you the laptop would be liable.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This thread has very clearly run its course and has just gone ridiculous. OP has come to an acceptance of what happened (based on their post from this morning) so nothing more needs to be said

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement