Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering plc, failed lc maths

• 13-12-2020 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi, my husband is 32, he is on the autism spectrum, extremely intelligent but did poorly in school because he was misdiagnosed for years and had poor school attendance because he was ill, both psychically and mentally.
    His psychiatrist has recently encouraged him to go back to education and use his intelligence.
    My husband wants to but feels his leaving cert results will hold him back.
    Our town, Clonmel, has a level 5 engineering plc on offer, so that might be an option. Wit, not far from here also offer level 6, 7 and 8 in engineering.
    Again, his leaving cert is poor and he has been unemployed since school and in reciept of disability allowance.
    Should he apply to the plc, hope he gets it and apply to cao next year for one of the wit courses, or should he apply to both the plc and cao this year? What are the chances of him getting a place in any of the courses?
    Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

His chances are pretty good, certainly for the PLC.
    He would be applying as a mature student to WIT, but if he has been out of education for a while the local PLC followed by application to WIT might be the way to go.

There are people employed by ETBs to deal almost exclusively with queries like your husband's. I suggest he makes an appointment with your local ETB, or the college offering the course (if it is not ETB). There will be much more supports on offer if you can find the course in an ETB college. Hold nothing back in terms of his needs on the course. If they do not know what he needs, they cannot offer the correct supports.

Advertisement