Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics upgrade

Options
  • 13-12-2020 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a GPU upgrade to this build (done by K.O.Kiki for me on here): -

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/9VdjGc

I bought a super ultra-wide and the computer is running a bit slow and clunky. I've looked at the Radeon Software application and the GPU is hitting 100% a lot.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Synode wrote: »
    and the GPU is hitting 100% a lot.

If VSync is off then typically thats what you want, means you arent otherwise bottlenecked. But if FPS is too low then obviously its a problem. (Unless this isnt gaming, unclear there)

For most people now is a TERRIBLE time to try and buy a GPU. Its all scalpers. But in your case its very easy to do better than what you currently have. What does it need to run? Thatll impact suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

ED E wrote: »
    If VSync is off then typically thats what you want, means you arent otherwise bottlenecked. But if FPS is too low then obviously its a problem. (Unless this isnt gaming, unclear there)

For most people now is a TERRIBLE time to try and buy a GPU. Its all scalpers. But in your case its very easy to do better than what you currently have. What does it need to run? Thatll impact suggestions.

Not sure what VSync is or if it's on or not
    . I've just messed with a few settings and have turned on VSync. I'm currently running SkyGo watching the rugby, and working using Excel spreadsheets mainly, but a few other applications that I'm switching between.

I installed DisplayFusion last night and the slowdown is coinciding with that. I don't want to delete it though as it's brilliant for my workflow. I turned off the wallpaper feature a few minutes ago which appears to have improved performance.

Why is now a bad time to buy? They over priced or just not available?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Nothing is available and what is is ridiculously priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Nothing is available and what is is ridiculously priced.

Yeah, but a 5500 XT would blow a Vega11 iGPU out the water. 5300 XT would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Coyler

Second hand R9 290? Start at €50 and see where he lands. It's basically the same as a 580 which are still the budget kings. Give a quick clean and hold on for the market to settle down a bit as it's completely nuts right now. I wouldn't spend any decent money unless I really had to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement