Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Game Awards 2020 (** Winners **)

Options
  • 13-12-2020 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭

Time for this year's Boards.ie Game Awards - the best and worst of 2020.

There are some new categories this year.

In this batch:

Best Xbox One Game (Retail)
    Best Xbox One Game (Download Only)
    Best Xbox Series X Game (Retail)
    Best Xbox Series X Game (Download Only)
    Best PS4 Game (Retail)
    Best PS4 Game (Download Only)
    Best PS5 Game (Retail)
    Best PS5 Game (Download Only)
    Best PC Game (Retail)
    Best PC Game (Download Only)
    Best Switch Game (Retail)
    Best Switch Game (Download Only)
    Best Mobile Game (iOS or Android)

I'm going to try for a quick turnaround on the nomination stage so I can get the survey up before Christmas.

Group 1: Sunday 13th - Wednesday 16th
    Group 2: Wednesday 16th - Saturday 19th
    Group 3: Saturday 19th - Tuesday 22nd

Link (thanks Kiith!)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=499

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Last of us 2 for all categories. Close the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That was my favourite Switch game this year. Good call. :rolleyes::)

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Why are categories split between retail and download only?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Azza wrote: »
    Why are categories split between retail and download only?

To give smaller games a fair shake, rather than being drowned out by the blockbusters.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I see. Should VR not get its own category for the same reason?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Azza wrote: »
    I see. Should VR not get its own category for the same reason?

Spoiler alert: yes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

All the best game were released on Playstation this year i feel. I don't own one unfortunately so can't really nominate. Mario Kart Live, can that be my game of the year??

Hades/Among Us/Fall Guys for my GOTY on PC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

All the best game were released on Playstation this year i feel. I don't own one unfortunately so can't really nominate. Mario Kart Live, can that be my game of the year??

PC was way ahead of the PS4, it had an incredible year.

And the Switch had some excellent indies and Pikmin 3 which I'll still go to bat for as one of the best games that just can't catch a break.

VR will be in the overall (third) group, which covers all platforms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Whatever isn't TLOU2. Obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Last of us 2 for all categories. Close the thread.

You spelt Hades wrong.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    PC was way ahead of the PS4, it had an incredible year.

And the Switch had some excellent indies and Pikmin 3 which I'll still go to bat for as one of the best games that just can't catch a break.

What did PC have? I don't really follow PC gaming trends. Pardon my ignorance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Anything you can name on PS4 that wasn't a Sony exclusive, which there weren't many of this year.

And a butt load of exclusives, most are indie. Half-Life alyx was a massive one. You also had Shiren the Wanderer, Project Wingman, Crusader Kings 3, Hades, Deep Rock Galactic, Umarangi Generation, Prodeus, Baldurs Gate 3, Wasteland 3, Grounded, Necrobarista, Panzer Paladin, Desperados 3, Lair of the Clockwork god, Command and Conquer: Remaster, Noita. Plenty I'm forgetting. PC is more about the smaller exciting games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

As much as Retro is entirely correct in this instance, doesn't really matter unfortunately. Popular (usually console) games will usually win out over better games simply due to it all being popularity contests. Same way GTA V won 'labor of love' game two years running on Steam despite being nowhere near qualified to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Flight Sim

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Anything you can name on PS4 that wasn't a Sony exclusive, which there weren't many of this year.

And a butt load of exclusives, most are indie. Half-Life alyx was a massive one. You also had Shiren the Wanderer, Project Wingman, Crusader Kings 3, Hades, Deep Rock Galactic, Umarangi Generation, Prodeus, Baldurs Gate 3, Wasteland 3, Grounded, Necrobarista, Panzer Paladin, Desperados 3, Lair of the Clockwork god, Command and Conquer: Remaster, Noita. Plenty I'm forgetting. PC is more about the smaller exciting games.

Ehhh most of them were available on ps4 as well and shirens on the vita and switch I think.

First batch closing tomorrow night, guys.

Need a bit more xbox love (some categories have no nominees)

Ehhh most of them were available on ps4 as well and shirens on the vita and switch I think.

I just did a quick look. And a few are on switch but not on PS4. But again I didn't mention everything. Still think Pc had a much better year than Ps4.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Link for anyone who's not able to find it :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I just did a quick look. And a few are on switch but not on PS4. But again I didn't mention everything. Still think Pc had a much better year than Ps4.

Desperado, wasteland 3 are on ps4

Anyway I think either wasteland 3 or remake are my goty's.

Closing first batch tonight about 8 or 9...

Only ones I've heard of from that list are Hades cos it's on Switch and Baldurs Gate 3 because it's on Stadia. Have played neither though. I suppose the fact I don't follow PC gaming news its no surprise I haven't heard of most of them.

As I said PC is more about the games that can't really work on console and it's where all the next trends in gaming usually start or where the most interesting indie games get released (and usually either get snapped up by console platform holders, end up on consoles if popular). There's an excitement to finding something weird and surprisingly great that the consoles used to have but not anymore.

The next batch is up now, folks.

Fun: Best Character
    Fun: Pleasant Surprise
    Fun: Best Boss Fight
    Fun: Best Level
    Fun: Best Graphics
    Fun: Best Sound
    Fun: Best Music
    Fun: Best Game Design
    Fun: WTF Were They Thinking Award
    Fun: Best Story
    Fun: Biggest Disappointment
    Fun: Game that deserved to do better/was criminally ignored? (** new **)
    Fun: Most Anticipated Game for 2021

Final group tomorrow evening (about this time tomorrow hopefully).
    Get your nominees in now!

Last group up now, folks.

Overall: Best RPG
    Overall: Online Game of the Year
    Overall: Best Action/Adventure
    Overall: Best Sports
    Overall: Best Racing
    Overall: Best Strategy/Puzzle
    Overall: Best Downloadable (non-Retail) Game
    Overall: Best DLC/Add-On Content
    Overall: Best VR Game (any platform)
    Overall: Game of the Year 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Can live service games be included that weren't released this year? Fallout 76 has become a great game and usually live service games always start out **** so not sure if they can be included or a new category next year for best ongoing game?

Best sports game is F1 20 for me. Could potentially be the last good f1 game before EA mess it up. Code Masters really nailed it this year, hopefully EA just let them keep doing what they're doing next year.

• Advertisement

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Can live service games be included that weren't released this year? Fallout 76 has become a great game and usually live service games always start out **** so not sure if they can be included or a new category next year for best ongoing game?

I think we can look at that for next year.

Advertisement