Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Game Awards 2020 (** Winners **)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Hi guys, sorry for the delay. The survey is ready. Please only vote on categories that are relevant to you (instructions are in the survey)

https://bit.ly/3hLhrlv

I'm going to leave this open until midnight on Monday night, so you have 5 days to answer it. I'll bump this thread over the next few days...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Mr. E, thank you for another year of prestigious awards, much appreciate the effort put in. Some tough choices in this one. What happened the Best Character nominations :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yeah, massive thanks again. Couldn't vote in most this year, I'm really just a PS guy so can't vote on the rest. Just hope the amazing Astro and the excellent Ghost of Tsushima get a few nods.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    What happened the Best Character nominations :pac:

There were about 20 different nominees. I had to go with the ones that got more than one nomination. :o

Mr E wrote: »
    There were about 20 different nominees. I had to go with the ones that got more than one nomination. :o

Ha, i thought i was the only one who actually nominated any. Anyway, Abby is a fantastic character but i also know both her and Johnny were hated as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Character thing is always subjective anyway (suppose everything is really). I preferred Legion to Mordin, which many people will disagree with!

Character thing is always subjective anyway (suppose everything is really). I preferred Legion to Mordin, which many people will disagree with!

Legion was fantastic, loved the whole arc between Geth and Quarian but Legion brought that almost human side to the Geth. Both character and actor were so good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Had the choice of a horrible character in a horribly written game and.... Keanu reeves.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Had the choice of a horrible character in a horribly written game and.... Keanu reeves.

Well then you obviously HaTe WoMeN!!!!

Speaking of Keanu, apparently a cdpr dev leaked info that they had an actor for Johnny who did a way better job and that Keanu kind of ruined the character.

Giving this a little bump -

Please only vote on categories that are relevant to you (instructions are in the survey)

I'm going to leave this open until midnight on Monday night, so you have just over 3 days to answer it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’s disgraceful Outer Wilds can’t win everything again this year simply because it was released in 2019 :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It’s disgraceful Outer Wilds can’t win everything again this year simply because it was released in 2019 :p

It was released on Steam this year....

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It was released on Steam this year....

Gotta love a technicality. I threw it on a couple of weeks ago just to try land on the sun station without the warp. Didn't go too well but ended up just drifting around space soaking it all in. So many amazing experiences i want wiped from my brain so i can go through it again. I still think about my first time entering Giants Deep atmosphere for the first time, terrifying and incredible.

Just over 24 hours left, folks. Closes at midnight tomorrow night.

Closes tonight, folks. Link above.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Good work
    Biggest disappointment TLOU2 by a mile. Best scene the museum TLOU2. I'm so conflicted.
    Like my console cohorts I didn't recognise many on the nominations. Thought Warzone deserved a nod simply for it's success. Nothing ground breaking but it's transformed BRs I thought.

It's ok to be conflicted. The year Dark Souls 2 came out it was my GOTY and biggest disappointment.

That's just how good souls is, even disappointing souls is better than pretty much anything else.

I wish i completed Miles Morales sooner so i could have nominated Spider-Cat for best character.

OK guys, results for the awards. :)
    Where there are 2 winners, it was a tie.

Best PS4 Game (Retail)
    Ghost of Tsushima

Best PS4 Game (Download Only)
    Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout

Best PS5 Game (Retail)
    Demon's Souls

Best PS5 Game (Download Only)
    Astro's Playroom

Best Xbox One Game (Retail)
    Ori and the Will of the Wisps

Best Xbox One Game (Download Only)
    Streets of Rage 4
    Call of Duty Warzone

Best Xbox Series X Game (Retail)
    Tetris Effect: Connected

Best Xbox Series X Game (Download Only)
    Ori and the Will of the Wisps

Best Switch Game (Retail)
    Animal Crossing New Horizons

Best Switch Game (Download Only)
    Hades

Best PC Game (Retail)
    Half Life Alyx

Best PC Game (Download Only)
    Hades

Best Mobile Game (IOS/Android)
    Genshin Impact

Fun: Game that deserved to do better/was criminally ignored?
    Desperados III

Fun: Best Game Design
    Hades

Fun: Best Sound
    The Last of Us Part 2

Fun: Best Graphics
    Microsoft Flight Simulator

Fun: Best Character
    Abby - The Last of Us Part 2

Fun: Biggest Disappointment
    Cyberpunk 2077

Fun: Best Story
    The Last of Us Part 2

Fun: Best Level
    Demon's Souls - Boletarian Palace
    Cyberpunk - the heist

Fun: Best Music
    Final Fantasy VII Remake

Fun: WTF Were They Thinking Award
    Cyberpunk Launch

Fun: Best Boss Fight
    T-Rex - Astro's Playroom

Fun: Pleasant Surprise
    Astro's Playroom

Fun: Most Anticipated Game for 2021
    Elden Ring

Overall: Best DLC/Add-On Content
    Ghost of Tsushima - Legends

Overall: Online Game of the Year
    Fall Guys

Overall: Best VR Game (any platform)
    Half-Life Alyx

Overall: Best RPG
    Demon's Souls

Overall: Best Strategy/Puzzle
    Crusader Kings 3

Overall: Best Downloadable (non-Retail) Game
    Hades

Overall: Best Action/Adventure
    Ghost of Tsushima

Overall: Best Sports
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2

Overall: Best Racing
    Fall Guys

Overall: Game of the Year 2020
    Ghost of Tsushima

That's a great list! Just so happens the next game I'm starting today is Ghost of Tsushima :) Hopefully Hades makes it to PS4/PS5 as I hear so much about it.

Thanks again Mr. E.

• Advertisement

Ghost of Tsushima, booooo! Not my type of game but so much good stuff out this year that was better than Ubisoft in Japan. And even if you liked ubisoft games spiderman is better.

And Last of Us 2 getting best story and best character. Badly written bloated ****e, especially in a year when we had so many brilliantly written games.

Everything else I'd agree with other than music. FF7 Remake had an amazing soundtrack to be fair but thought the competition were on another level again. Any other year it would win.

Thanks for putting it all together again Mr. E

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

Bought the series x last week. Seen Desperados III as best ignored here and want it. I played the 1st as a boy on my PC and have fond memories of being called 'el bastardo' for chucking knifes into enemies. Defo going to pick this game up for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    That's a great list! Just so happens the next game I'm starting today is Ghost of Tsushima :) Hopefully Hades makes it to PS4/PS5 as I hear so much about it.

Thanks again Mr. E.

Planning on starting it myself later this week. Glad I waited for the PS5 upgrade, should be stunning. Also hoping Hades makes the jump to PS5 too.

Most of what I voted for won their categories. And I really did love Abby from TLOU2, glad she won. Her story wasn't always the best but the character and performance were fantastic imo. Really enjoyed her throughout.

Glad Astro's Playroom got shown the love too. If it wasn't for playing Astrobot Rescue on PSVR I likely would have dismissed it originally, but the care and craft that they put into those games is insane. Truly Playstation's hidden gem that I really hope they start pushing with bigger games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Game awards 2019: Cyberpunk 2077 as most anticipated game of the year.
    Game awards 2020: Cyberpunk 2077 as biggest disappointment / WTF were they thinking.

Oooooof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Game awards 2019: Cyberpunk 2077 as most anticipated game of the year.
    Game awards 2020: Cyberpunk 2077 as biggest disappointment / WTF were they thinking.

Oooooof.

No pressure Elden Ring...

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Who are these fools who voted and voted differently from me...how dare they!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

F1 20 beaten by Fall Guys for best racer. Democracy doesn't work!

Advertisement