Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quickfire Walrus - LeVar's Stocking Fillers

• 13-12-2020 8:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, lets do another Quickfire Walrus for the Holidays, carrying on from the successful Halloween Edition... Necro's House of Horrors.

Quick briefing on how it works...
    The host selects some categories and the entrants submit 1 song per category and are then judged on their music tastes... it's that simple :D

The Categories:
    1. Bah Humbug
    I'm sick of all the festive cheer and uplifting cheesy xmas music, so I don't want any xmas songs in my stocking this year... instead give me something that is the complete opposite, something moody, something dark, something depressing, and/or something angsty, etc. because those things are more likely to bring me happiness

2. The Selection Box
    Selection Boxes are the best part of the holiday season, so I want a category that will hopefully be a complete mish-mash of genres and styles, so I'm gonna give you 5 subcategories for this one, all you have to do is pick the category you find most appealing and send me a song that fits it (to be clear, I'm only looking for 1 song here total)
    Pick One of the Following:
    (i)No Country For Old Men ; any Country song released in the last 10 years
    (ii)Special K ; any song from a K-Pop band
    (iii)The Laughter Lounge ; any parody or comedy song
    (iv)From a Land Down Under ; any song from an Australian or New Zealand artist
    (v)The Chocolate Bite ; any song with "Chocolate" in the song title

3. All I Want for Christmas is... CHOONS
    Looking for something upbeat and energetic, that you get excited about when it randomly comes on in the club/on the radio, possibly leads to you breaking out the air-guitar, or potentially up throwing shapes on the dancefloor if that's the sort of thing you're in to - can be from any genre, about anything (doesn't have to be a xmas song, preferably it wouldn't be, but you can if you want). It's essentially a wildcard category, but something with a bit of umph to it.

Sign-Ups will close in a little over 52 hours... you have until the end of the day on Tuesday (December 15th) to get your 3 songs in to me via PM. Throw in a YouTube or Spotify link if there are different versions of the song or you want me to listen to a particular version.

Reveal will then be on Wednesday (the 16th) afternoon/evening, hopefully, depending on what else is going on. If not Wednesday, it'll be Friday or Saturday.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

In!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Necro wasting absolutely no time as usual. :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Walrus virgin but it sounds interesting and I'm in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Walrus virgin but it sounds interesting and I'm in

Quickfire Walrus is probably a good way to pop the cherry, as you'll see very quickly how it all works and that will help refine your performance for the regularly scheduled Walruses (maybe...)

If anything is unclear on how it works, don't hesitate to ask, plenty of seasoned Walrus nymphos knocking about to answer any questions... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

In-arooney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,870 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

In!

giphy.gif

3 entries in already, all who've opted for different Selection Box categories... this is gonna be fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,288 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

In.
    My first song is something i can imagine LaVar muttering to himself as he watches carolers sing the same old stuff they sing every year. My second song appeared in a video game and my third choice is just a classic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I'll do my best :-/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,474 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Entry submitted :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Suppose I'll have to defend my quickfire title!

9 Challengers have entered the Arena and await to see how many more will be joining them...

Necro
    the purple tin
    ShaneU
    JP Liz V1
    Sawduck
    Green&Red
    Kolido
    Trigger
    mustang shelly

Anyone else hoping to enter, remember the deadline is by the end of tomorrow...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

and I'm in!!!

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

da79ebd1e18decc4993adee8a679c436511c6da9_00.gif

(that's me in!)

Zaph, Irish Aris, and Electric Nitwit have entered the arena, armed with their tunes, and turn our Nefarious Nine in to a Devious Dozen...

28 and a half hours remain for any more wayward warriors waiting in the wings with their bitchin' beatboxes in tow.

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

songs are in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,377 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

274a13ad58664c3604f89b08c3fd5f77.gif

In!

A further two competitors make their way down to the arena floor simultaneously, giving us a running total of 14 brave souls putting themselves forward to be harshly judged by one of the most unpredictable Walrus hosts this game has ever seen.

Sauntering in from the left side is the legend who started it all, the one who first brought Walrus to Forum Games and turned all our lives upside down with the most addictive competition format since The Crystal Maze, its the one, the only, RIKAND!!! ***the crowd goes wild, flowers rain down from the spectator stands, and fireworks erupt from all directions***

Stumbling in from the right side is an unknown entity, as a Rookie enters the fray, fresh meat for the veterans to chew on, a sacrificial lamb who has no idea what they've let themselves in for, please give a warm Walrus welcome, to the closest stand-in we could get for the Virgin Mary at such short notice, Sephiroth_dude!!!

Just under 24 hours left for any more poor b@stards who wish to throw their hats in the ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,601 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Stocking filled.

• Advertisement

A few more players have joined in since last night bringing is up to a Sadistic Seventeen...

Necro
    the purple tin
    ShaneU
    JP Liz V1
    Sawduck
    Green&Red
    Kolido
    Trigger
    mustang shelly
    Zaph
    Irish Aris
    Electric Nitwit
    Rikand
    Sephiroth_dude
    osh
    Arghus
    JohnGreenFan

Lines close at midnight, so anyone else thinking of getting an entry in for this one, you've got just over 11 hours to pull the finger out and send me some songs... ;)

Reberetta joins in and brings us up to an Egregious Eighteen.

I still intend to do the reveal for this tomorrow evening, I don't care that there's a stupid sportsball match on the telly box, anyone else like me who doesn't care for kickyball can be here live and those who like to watch a bunch of lads running around a field in little shorts can catch-up afterwards.

A little under 5 hours remain for any stragglers wishing to enter.

In what I believe is only their second submission to a music Walrus, Hello 2D Person Below joins the party, and brings us to 19 contenders.

Will we break into the twenties before the buzzer runs out.

Final call for entries, with just under 2 and a half hour before I close up shop and call this thing.

Will confirm the start time for the reveal tomorrow evening around lunchtime tomorrow, but most likely I'll be looking to kick things off at about half 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

In what I believe is only their second submission to a music Walrus, Hello 2D Person Below, joins the party, and brings us to 19 contenders.

Will we break into the twenties before the buzzer runs out.

Final call for entries, with just under 2 and a half hour before I close up shop and call this thing.

Will confirm the start time for the reveal tomorrow evening around lunchtime tomorrow, but most likely I'll be looking to kick things off at about half 6.

Thats gives you around an hour and a half before the match starts, you can do it. :)

Kolido wrote: »
    Thats gives you around an hour and a half before the match starts, you can do it. :)

Its gonna take about 3 hours to get through all three rounds, so I wouldn't count on it. ;)

Just record the bloody match, and watch it after. Walrus Wednesday is clearly more important, and a far superior sport (wouldn't be hard though, anything is a better sport than soccer)... :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,333 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Kolido wrote: »

What do you mean, the match starts at 6. Hopefully Covid is still rife in the Newcastle squad.

phatkev and Homer J. Fong rock up to bring us up to 21, which is great to have so much interest at short notice.

Still a couple of hours for any others to join in. The more the merrier, but the cut off point is definitely gonna be midnight (give or take a few minutes obviously, I'm not a monster), cause with such a tight turnaround to reveal I need the time to get everything in order, so won't be taking any latecomers.

Think the mods may all be on their holidays, but if any of them happen to be lurking about, please change the thread title to Sign-Ups Closed.

Even if they don't I'm officially announcing that the Sign-Ups are indeed now closed (extended by half an hour to allow khalessi get noms in).

See you all tomorrow for Walrus Wednesday when all 3 rounds will be revealed back-to-back and a winner shall be crowned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Dammit just saw this

• Advertisement

khalessi wrote: »
    Dammit just saw this

I'll allow it. ;)

Advertisement