Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,167 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

• Registered Users Posts: 23,343 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Reports of alonso be hit by / colliding with car.
    That cant be good for pre season testing and season start.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Hulkenberg back? Others who’ve left recently like KMag and Grosjean are driving in other series, can’t recall seeing anything about Kvyatt so maybe he’s free

• Registered Users Posts: 15,863 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Harika wrote: »
    Alonso in cycling accident

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlpineF1Team/status/1359954932800061441

Not much information, only that he is concious

I really do not like the sprint race idea. I hope it does not happen. It just sounds like a gimic.

I really hope Alonso is ok. Really looking forward to seeing him race this year.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,245 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

mickdw wrote: »
    Reports of alonso be hit by / colliding with car.
    That cant be good for pre season testing and season start.
    https://www.gazzetta.it/Formula-1/11-02-2021/f1-alonso-indicente-bici-fratture-volto-serve-un-operazione-400603303162.shtml
    Translation (DeepL)

Cycling accident for Fernando Alonso. The Spanish driver of the Alpine Renault is said to have been hit by a car while training by bike on Swiss roads near Lugano. He was immediately rescued and taken to a local hospital, but initial X-rays showed possible fractures. Alonso, two-time Formula 1 world champion with Renault in 2005 and 2006, may have to miss the start of the 2021 season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭barryribs

Andrew benson saying it's a broken jaw. Hopefully it's nothing more serious than that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Jaysus, glad to hear it wasn't worse and hope nothing is broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

barryribs wrote: »
    Andrew benson saying it's a broken jaw. Hopefully it's nothing more serious than that

Might keep him quiet in the cockpit, Alpine mightn't see it as a bad thing :pac:

It one of few broken bones that mightn't keep him out for too long, he might even make testing on March 12th

• Registered Users Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

God damn it, one thing I really am looking forward to for 2021 is Alonso coming back.

I hope he will be fit and ready for the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭Harika

https://www.racefans.net/2021/02/12/first-details-of-red-bulls-new-operation-to-run-ex-honda-engines-and-aim-for-works-status-in-2025/

Red bull plans for the engine until 2025 then eying Porsche who either are thrown there for fun or actually tipping their toe back again.

• Advertisement

While I’m mot a fan of Paul Richard , and I do t think anyone else is a fan either. This must be good news.

https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/racefansdotnet-2021-02-10-23-03-29-4.jpg

They reprofiled almost the entire track, all the corners except one. They had to work within the confines of the existing layout, but hopefully it will improve things a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

While I’m mot a fan of Paul Richard , and I do t think anyone else is a fan either. This must be good news.

https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/racefansdotnet-2021-02-10-23-03-29-4.jpg

They reprofiled almost the entire track, all the corners except one. They had to work within the confines of the existing layout, but hopefully it will improve things a bit.

Needs more stripes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Those stripes at Paul Ricard are like those found in a tube of Aquafresh toothpaste.

Needs more stripes.

Presumably that's what they were doing. Maybe if they can give viewers a full on migraine, they'll forget how boring the race was?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,889 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I hate the track in real racing but have gotten to enjoy it in game
    Just remove the chicane in the midlle of the back straight!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Alpine seem optimistic that Alonso will be fine for testing - https://www.planetf1.com/news/fernando-alonso-injury-update/

Top Dog wrote: »
    Alpine seem optimistic that Alonso will be fine for testing - https://www.planetf1.com/news/fernando-alonso-injury-update/

4 weeks to testing and 6 weeks to the first race weekend. Hopefully he can recover from whatever injuries he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,889 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Here's hoping. He's one of the main reasons I want to keep watching this season as the WDC is a foregone conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭robinwing

Bet he will be back for all training , its his jaw not arms or legs . Its Alonso who had the balls to run at Indy 500 remember. The crash reminded me of poor Nicky Hayden and poor Alex Zanardi. Heard nothing about Zanardi for some months. Anybody have news on him ?

The pre-season hype is really wearing on me this year. The constant "Ooooh things could be shaken up with the aero changes" nonsense. The only wildcard is McLaren with the new engine but best case is they'll solidify 3rd in the championship. Aside from that it's gonna be as-you-were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

A McLaren win would make my season. Perez doing well, and Vettel beating both Ferraris would also be fun. I don't expect anyone to challenge Mercedes over the course of the season.

The pre-season hype is really wearing on me this year. The constant "Ooooh things could be shaken up with the aero changes" nonsense. The only wildcard is McLaren with the new engine but best case is they'll solidify 3rd in the championship. Aside from that it's gonna be as-you-were.

Yeah it’ll most likely be as-you-were. Ferrari will probably be back in The battle for third. Maybe AM will be good with a load of Mercedes parts - the green Mercedes. And it’ll be good to see if they can maintain it or do they fade into the pack as the others start to develop.

It’s the off-season. There’s nothing else to speculate about.

Yeah it’ll most likely be as-you-were. Ferrari will probably be back in The battle for third. Maybe AM will be good with a load of Mercedes parts - the green Mercedes. And it’ll be good to see if they can maintain it or do they fade into the pack as the others start to develop.

It’s the off-season. There’s nothing else to speculate about.

Aye maybe it's YouTube's algorithm that's to blame :P I'd prefer to not be fed nonsense videos that some crowd have to pump out ever 2 days to try and make some coin and that the videos would just start appearing a week before the season kicks off. Though let's be honest, journalism in general and sports journalism is 90+% trash at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Ferrari launch on 10th of March.

Car launch dates confirmed so far:

McLaren: 15th of February.

Alpha Tauri: 19th of February.

Alfa Romeo: 22nd of February.

Mercedes: 2nd of March.

Williams: 5th of March.

Ferrari: 10th of March.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24184/12215881/fernando-alonso-undergoes-successful-jaw-surgery-after-road-accident-while-cycling-in-switzerland

Official update on Fernando. He had surgery on his upper jaw and is recovering.

They say he'll be ""fully operational to undertake preparation for the season" after a period of rest after successful surgery on fractured upper jaw". That's not very specific but i suppose it's as specific as they can be at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24184/12215881/fernando-alonso-undergoes-successful-jaw-surgery-after-road-accident-while-cycling-in-switzerland

Official update on Fernando. He had surgery on his upper jaw and is recovering.

They say he'll be ""fully operational to undertake preparation for the season" after a period of rest after successful surgery on fractured upper jaw". That's not very specific but i suppose it's as specific as they can be at this point.

Italy is a dangerous place for cyclists, it's claimed a fair few famous casualties at various levels in recent times - Michele Scarponi, Alex Zanardi, Fernando all in the last couple of years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Inquitus wrote: »
    Italy is a dangerous place for cyclists, it's claimed a fair few famous casualties at various levels in recent times - Michele Scarponi, Alex Zanardi, Fernando all in the last couple of years
    The accident happened in Switzerland ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭Harika

Top Dog wrote: »
    The accident happened in Switzerland ;)

Was it the Italian speaking part of Switzerland?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,245 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Harika wrote: »
    Was it the Italian speaking part of Switzerland?

Yeah down by ascona, very close to the border. Have been there a few times and it's absolutely idilic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,863 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Ferrari launch on 10th of March.

Car launch dates confirmed so far:

McLaren: 15th of February.

Alpha Tauri: 19th of February.

Alfa Romeo: 22nd of February.

Mercedes: 2nd of March.

Williams: 5th of March.

Ferrari: 10th of March.

So from Monday then. How are McLaren unveiling there car?
    I hope it will be on You-Tube or on there own site.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement