Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Green down one side, pink on the other, a la BAR 1999? :)

No one will have the balls to try that again, pity they couldn't run the different liveries on the two cars

Bunch of highlights from last season came up on YouTube for me today. **** me Bottas had an absolutely horrendous season.
    Italy first lap he drops from 2nd to 3rd in the first corner, ends up 6th by the end of the first lap and never recovers. Pathetic.
    Eifel Grand Prix he just braked late and let Hamilton waltz past. Ended up retiring which saved his blushes somewhat.
    Tuscan GP after the nonsense with the restart he was also useless.
    And now Turkey just popped up :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,036 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Green down one side, pink on the other, a la BAR 1999? :)

Actually I was thinking pink on the bottom half of the car and green on the top or even vice versa would be cool.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,593 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Bunch of highlights from last season came up on YouTube for me today. **** me Bottas had an absolutely horrendous season.
    Italy first lap he drops from 2nd to 3rd in the first corner, ends up 6th by the end of the first lap and never recovers. Pathetic.
    Eifel Grand Prix he just braked late and let Hamilton waltz past. Ended up retiring which saved his blushes somewhat.
    Tuscan GP after the nonsense with the restart he was also useless.
    And now Turkey just popped up :pac:

He has a hard year now there will be two Red Bulls nipping after him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,928 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

AMKC wrote: »
    Actually I was thinking pink on the bottom half of the car and green on the top or even vice versa would be cool.

I swear I've seen that colour scheme on an ice cream. :pac:

EDIT: And come to think of it, the Team HARD cars in the BTCC too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,539 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Green and pink, they will look like watermelons with wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,937 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Maybe they could have 'Sprunk' on the rear wing with eCola on the rear wing endplates. eCola - the deliciously infectious drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭barryribs

pjohnson wrote: »
    He has a hard year now there will be two Red Bulls nipping after him.

I don't see Perez being a massive upgrade on Albon at all. Probably faster but much more prone to brain fade.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Green with pink accents might work

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

barryribs wrote: »
    I don't see Perez being a massive upgrade on Albon at all. Probably faster but much more prone to brain fade.
    I don't rate Perez beyond mid card but he's undeniably a massive upgrade over albon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,655 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

barryribs wrote: »

Shouldn't be an issue...you know, Red Bull helps with that :pac:

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭robinwing

ELM327 wrote: »
    I don't rate Perez beyond mid card but he's undeniably a massive upgrade over albon.

Maybe so but Perez is a seasoned campaigner and maybe he will surprise people too. If he gets on with the Red Bull and adopts his style a bit he could surprise a few people by being very close to Max time wise on laps . Lets hope so , would love to see him give Max a good run for his money

• Registered Users Posts: 13,108 ✭✭✭✭flazio

No one will have the balls to try that again, pity they couldn't run the different liveries on the two cars

That was under the Mosley/Ecclestone dynasty. Who knows if Todt/Dominicalli had a change of heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

flazio wrote: »
    That was under the Mosley/Ecclestone dynasty. Who knows if Todt/Dominicalli had a change of heart.

And they were advertising two different cigarette brands just as cigarette branding was being outlawed by many countries so was not good for f1 brand image.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Thankfully BAR were only allowed to run just the one ugly livery rather than subjecting our eyes to two. Eye bleach would've been a money spinner had BAR's request been positively received.

Glico Man wrote: »
    Thankfully BAR were only allowed to run just the one ugly livery rather than subjecting our eyes to two. Eye bleach would've been a money spinner had BAR's request been positively received.
    Many a Subaru WRC fan would disagree with you on the 555 livery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Wasn’t it the Chinese Grand Prix where the 555 was the sole livery on the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Sporting Reg 9.1
    Both cars entered by a Competitor must be presented in substantially the same livery at every Event, any significant change to this livery during a Championship may only be made with the agreement of the FIA and the Commercial Rights Holder

Yes as far as I know, at the 2004 Chinese GP.

8tililkr0jd41.jpg

As for the livery on the '99 BAR, I didn't like it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,539 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Honda ran a special in 2006 as well.

237162.jpg?itok=x2guRePf

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

They’re developing a new engine this year out of necessity rather than free choice.

How much new engine development is allowed unstringing the Ferrari PU Upgrades?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Planning our first F1 trip for the youngster's 18th late in the year, and currently looking at Monza or the Dutch GP. I've registered on the main site to be let know when tickets are available, but anything else I'd need to know? e.g. would I need to go with a travel agent/broker to guarantee tickets? Any raceday experiences worth doing?

All Covid-willing of course

The Dutch GP has/had a lottery system, massively oversubscribed (due to Verstappen) so I wouldn’t bank on getting tickets for that GP.

You could try F1 Experiences to guarantee a ticket but they are very pricey even for the cheapest package and they will try to screw you on a refund if the race is cancelled or switched to a no spectators race.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,222 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Inquitus wrote: »
    How much new engine development is allowed unstringing the Ferrari PU Upgrades?

I’m not sure what you mean. It’s a whole new power unit. They toyed with copying the innovations that made the Mercedes so good but decided to go with their own design.

In one way it will be the latest engine so it might be a cracker in “standing on the shoulders of giants” style, particularly if it hits the ground running. Could also be a need a lot of bedding in time so might only be ok.

If you’re asking about how much the can develop before the engine is frozen, then I’m not sure. I don’t know if the engine is frozen at the end of this year or the start of next year. I know there are rules around making changes to the engines after they freeze development. They can make changes for reliability reasons but the gains have to be very small.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

You could drop a piano on that lad and he'd come out of it saying it could've been worse.
    A real fighter and a great inspiration, moreso that he's only a mere 21 years old!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Formula E race in the vicinity of an attempted missile attack and the F1 still think they should be racing in Saudi Arabia......

• Registered Users Posts: 23,593 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Formula E race in the vicinity of an attempted missile attack and the F1 still think they should be racing in Saudi Arabia......

I feel the current calendar will be amended during the year again and that race chopped......be amazed if it actually gets the go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,222 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

pjohnson wrote: »
    I feel the current calendar will be amended during the year again and that race chopped......be amazed if it actually gets the go ahead.

The rules of what’s normal and what isn’t are usually put aside by F1. And the rules are usually put aside for Saudi Arabia too. Between the two of them, I think the race will go ahead, unless covid prevents it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,655 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

There's a lot of moment with vaccines now and I can imagine that by June or so, it's going to allow those calendar schedules to go ahead. Before June, anything could choose a headache and limit races.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement

So tomorrow is the 1st of March. Less than two weeks to go to pre-season testing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement