Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭flazio

duploelabs wrote: »
    How they get away with the Mission Winnow 'sponsorship' is beyond me
    This, believe it or not, was also a Marlboro logo. To say it it wasn't is to say that Haas are not racing in Russian colours this year.
    scuderia-ferrari-logo.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

The Shell Motorsport Twitter account shared photos of the car totally devoid of Mission Winnow stickers.

https://twitter.com/ShellMotorsport/status/1369649253086339078

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Pen Rua wrote: »
    The Shell Motorsport Twitter account shared photos of the car totally devoid of Mission Winnow stickers.

https://twitter.com/ShellMotorsport/status/1369649253086339078

That looks much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Whole load of marketing nonsense in this video, but they used the green logo to do green screen effects.

https://twitter.com/MissionWinnow/status/1369656866633027590

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Looks a mess with the green, looks a bit better without.

Not sure about the matt finish - are all the cars like that now? Miss seeing the uber-shiny bodywork on the grid, and then contrasting that with how dirty they were at the end of the race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,225 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Looks a mess with the green, looks a bit better without.

Not sure about the matt finish - are all the cars like that now? Miss seeing the uber-shiny bodywork on the grid, and then contrasting that with how dirty they were at the end of the race.

Matte gives a slight weight advantage over gloss apparently.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/141528/ferrari-matte-livery-to-help-save-weight

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Can we have grid girls back now, please
    grid-girls-gty-1-ml-180201_16x9_992.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

So people, what's your favourite livery? Alpine is my favourite.

Jordan 199 wrote: »

Aston. And also the Merc!

^ don't miss the grid girls at all. The world has moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,242 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Can we have grid girls back now, please
    grid-girls-gty-1-ml-180201_16x9_992.jpg

Nope. A thing of the past at this stage. My two daughters have got big into F1 in the last year and to be honest I wouldn't want them seeing grid girls as the woman's role in F1.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Nope. A thing of the past at this stage. My two daughters have got big into F1 in the last year and to be honest I wouldn't want them seeing grid girls as the woman's role in F1.

It was a joke lads I know its a thing of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Ferrari and Mercedes liveries look terrible this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

flazio wrote: »
    This, believe it or not, was also a Marlboro logo. To say it it wasn't is to say that Haas are not racing in Russian colours this year.
    scuderia-ferrari-logo.png

As far as I'm aware, Philip Morris owns, or used to, the space on the Ferrari's. So to sponsor and put your logo on it, you buy the space off Morris as opposed to Ferrari.
    Someone will correct me if I'm wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Whole load of marketing nonsense in this video, but they used the green logo to do green screen effects.

https://twitter.com/MissionWinnow/status/1369656866633027590

That makes more sense. Would not be surprised if similar green screen effects made it onto the broadcast — F1 already overlay virtual track-side ads for F1Play and occasionally some other brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That makes more sense. Would not be surprised if similar green screen effects made it onto the broadcast — F1 already overlay virtual track-side ads for F1Play and occasionally some other brands.
    The Alpine and the Williams for me.
    The Alpha Tauri is not bad either.
    All the test are boring

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Alpha Tauri and Alpine.

Alfa also, but I am biased.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

https://twitter.com/Gianludale27/status/1369634216212914176

Might be nice overall without the dash of bright green

I like the green. I'd make it even brighter. Different logo or blob or something as well

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Ferrari-SF21-F1-Auto-2021-169Gallery-cf9d2906-1774093.jpg

I don't really like the burgundy red at the back. It's like they had some leftover paint from last year and decided to use it. As for the green paint, looks like it was bought in the Italian equivalent of Woodies ;)

I really like the dark red. The special dark livery they used last year was class and I’m not surprised they tried to use it agin this year. But they ended up just shoehorning it onto an otherwise normal livery.

The green MW sponsorship is really shyte. I wonder if they’ll change it before the season starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I know it's the same every year, but the Red Bull is the best looking imo

The dark blue is just such a class colour on the car, I don't like the purple they had around 2013/14 or so, but the darker colour the last few years is the best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Ferrari-SF21-F1-Auto-2021-169Gallery-cf9d2906-1774093.jpg

I don't really like the burgundy red at the back. It's like they had some leftover paint from last year and decided to use it. As for the green paint, looks like it was bought in the Italian equivalent of Woodies ;)
    The paint at the back is the same colour as the 125S the very first Ferrari F1 car. So I would say either this year or maybe next year that Ferrari might be changing back to that colour. Who knows only them. ;)

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Testing tomorrow, it will be interesting to see how it pans out with all the changes.

Vettel must be feeling the pressure to outperform Stroll. Also curious to see how Sainz goes against the other Ferrari

• Registered Users Posts: 15,542 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Testing tomorrow, it will be interesting to see how it pans out with all the changes.

Vettel must be feeling the pressure to outperform Stroll. Also curious to see how Sainz goes against the other Ferrari

I very much doubt it.

I'd say Vettel is feeling pressure to perform, full stop. But by the sound of it he's in a good headspace.

Chances of him getting a win?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,542 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I'd say Vettel is feeling pressure to perform, full stop. But by the sound of it he's in a good headspace.

Chances of him getting a win?[/QUOTE]

As high as Max or Bottas I reckon. That is pending the car provides the performance.

vectra wrote: »

As high as Max or Bottas I reckon. That is pending the car provides the performance.

The AM would need a fair step up in performance from last year to have as good a chance of a win as Bottas or Max. But If Perez could sneak a win last year (with a lot of luck in terms of Mercedes messing up tyres) then even at the same relative performance, Vettel could sneak a win too. Even Gasley snuck a win in the AT, so most cars could win under the right circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Make or break season for Vettel coming up. In 2020 he had the excuse of a bad car but he had no excuse for the mental lapses in 2019 or 2018. Hopefullys his head is in a better place now, because he is a good driver but hasn't shown it in a while.

Race wins is a bit of a reach unless Aston Martin have made big improvements over the winter or the Mercedes engine has improved more than Honda.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,540 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

As far as I'm aware, Philip Morris owns, or used to, the space on the Ferrari's. So to sponsor and put your logo on it, you buy the space off Morris as opposed to Ferrari.
    Someone will correct me if I'm wrong

They are still big sponsors for them.

I actually wrote my thesis in college on subliminal branding in F1. Ferrari adopted a different red that came from Marlboro. I believe 2007 though, at Monaco, Ferrari changed the red.

open-uri20120930-14484-1c7kfnr.jpg

It is a bit more burgundy (like Mugello last year, and why there is a bit of it on the car this year).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,540 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

EwMkEsXWgAIvWcp?format=jpg&name=large

Regardless of the Russia stuff, this looks great on track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

They are still big sponsors for them.

I actually wrote my thesis in college on subliminal branding in F1. Ferrari adopted a different red that came from Marlboro. I believe 2007 though, at Monaco, Ferrari changed the red.

open-uri20120930-14484-1c7kfnr.jpg

It is a bit more burgundy (like Mugello last year, and why there is a bit of it on the car this year).

They’ve changed their red more than once for Marlboro. I’ve a distinct memory of Murray Walker welcoming a change (back to red) during the Schumacher era. The car had gradually turned an almost shade of orange during the season. Looked better on tv said Walker. The change to redder came after complaints from the tifosi (according to Walker). My impression was that the orange was at the behest of PM.

What’s up with MW anyway. I know it’s PM, but is that the reason it’s not always there. I’d almost say the green is so awful and jarring to drive attention.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement