Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,226 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Although we can’t tell much from
    Practice, there’s a bit of excitement around Yuki Tsunoda in the Alpha Tauri. Listening to a few practice reviews, and they’re pretty excited about him. Hopefully there will be a great battle between himself and Gasley.

If he goes well we can be sure he’ll be in line for the RB seat. Perez must be the only one hoping he’s not much good. He could be out on his ear if Yuki shows real promise this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Although we can’t tell much from
    Practice, there’s a bit of excitement around Yuki Tsunoda in the Alpha Tauri. Listening to a few practice reviews, and they’re pretty excited about him. Hopefully there will be a great battle between himself and Gasley.

If he goes well we can be sure he’ll be in line for the RB seat. Perez must be the only one hoping he’s not much good. He could be out on his ear if Yuki shows real promise this year.

This perfectly sums up why you can read nothing into pre season testing - remember when Prost F1 was topping the testing time sheets ! Or when McLaren turned up on the last day of testing in '88 and immediately went one second quicker than everybody (despite being told to sandbag).

Yukis times would not have stood in a normal practice session ,he was opening DRS long before the allocated zones ,there's pictures up on Autosport and a few drivers have also highlighted it .

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You'd wonder what the point is of running DRS outside the zones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

ELM327 wrote: »
    You'd wonder what the point is of running DRS outside the zones.

Someone over on reddit suggested it was to get close to quali speeds, but reduce wear on engine.

Infoanon wrote: »
    This perfectly sums up why you can read nothing into pre season testing - remember when Prost F1 was topping the testing time sheets ! Or when McLaren turned up on the last day of testing in '88 and immediately went one second quicker than everybody (despite being told to sandbag).

Yukis times would not have stood in a normal practice session ,he was opening DRS long before the allocated zones ,there's pictures up on Autosport and a few drivers have also highlighted it .

Oh no, I don't mean in terms of the speed of his best lap. I mean for a brand new driver of 20 years old, to show up and put in a solid performance over the course of a test. The feedback was that he fit in really well and drove solidly and understood the car straight away. Plus the fact that he's an aggressive driver should make him good to follow.

That's what they're saying about him anyway. We'll have to wait to see how he gets on and whether he's actually fast or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭This is it

I know it won't last long once Mercedes smash everyone but I'm getting excited for the new season, long may it last!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

This is it wrote: »
    I know it won't last long once Mercedes smash everyone but I'm getting excited for the new season, long may it last!

It's always nice to get excited over something :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I haven't seen much commentary on it, but generally how did Alonso do in the test? He put in a lot of laps and was about top of the mid table in terms of pace. Does it look like he still "has it"?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I haven't seen much commentary on it, but generally how did Alonso do in the test? He put in a lot of laps and was about top of the mid table in terms of pace. Does it look like he still "has it"?

https://v.redd.it/81qcj3iowzm61/DASHPlaylist.mpd?a=1618433004%2CNWRiYWE1YjJhNWQ4MjA4NDRlMDE0ZmY0NGY3YmU0YjhhN2NkZThlZDUzZTQ1ZWFmZTYxOTY5ZDVjODM0MTlmYQ%3D%3D&v=1&f=sd

Overtook Hamilton at one stage

No telling if he still has it but I think he got through his test program without any major problems - no crash or reliability issues.

It should put him in.a good position to hit the ground running at the first race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,352 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

No telling if he still has it but I think he got through his test program without any major problems - no crash or reliability issues.

It should put him in.a good position to hit the ground running at the first race.

One of the sky commentators said he stood out in that he was mm accurate lap after lap at one of the corners they were watching from.
    Id say he has lost nothing.

Well I suppose the sheer amount of laps he did shows he still has the stamina.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭barryribs

The Race are reporting that he has two plates in his jaw from his cycling accident. Surgery scheduled for the end of the season to remove them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

barryribs wrote: »
    The Race are reporting that he has two plates in his jaw from his cycling accident. Surgery scheduled for the end of the season to remove them.

Yes we knew that well at least some of us did. A jaw steel that Alonso lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,540 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

For a man who had a crash a month ago and has not been in F1 for 2 years, he seemed to do very well.

Obviously, i am very excited for him to be back in F1.

How many more years driving does he have though? Two? Five? How long will he give trying to win another title?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,540 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

How many more years driving does he have though? Two? Five? How long will he give trying to win another title?

He's been pretty open about the rule change for next year being his best chance. Alpine have restructured so they might play a role in that, but only time will tell.

He'll be the top driver at whatever team he's at so if the new rules next year fall in his favour he may get another title. Renault have history of making new rules work (though it's been a while) so it's worth a shot for him I'd think.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭barryribs

Its going to interesting to see how the Alpine program works it out. Getting rid of Cyril is addition by subtraction, but there are somethings that can't be corrected over the course of a couple of months. I reckon there is going to be little to no development this season in the hope of getting progress on the 21 car.

I'm delighted to see him back, I think he's aggressive and entertaining to watch but would like to see him to galvanize the team rather than divide it.

Ms

barryribs wrote: »
    Its going to interesting to see how the Alpine program works it out. Getting rid of Cyril is addition by subtraction, but there are somethings that can't be corrected over the course of a couple of months. I reckon there is going to be little to no development this season in the hope of getting progress on the 21 car.

Renault Group CEO Luca de Meo has said the firm’s newly rebranded Alpine Formula 1 team is committed to the sport for the foreseeable future and is prepared to spend the necessary money to ensure victories. “We’re in Formula 1 for the long run and we’re here to win,” he said. “We will put all required means to be at [our] best competitive level.” The team is hopeful that it will continue from its impressive finish to the 2020 season, in which Daniel Ricciardo (now at McLaren) and Esteban Ocon scored three podiums

Also,

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motorsport-news/alpine-a480-racer-revealed-wec-and-le-mans-contender

So Alpine has motor sport racing heritage it was in the LMP-2 Class before and now it is in the LMP-1 Class.

Makes more sense now why the team was rebranded from Renault to Alpine as going the opposite way might have been trickier or harder seen as Renault were never in LMP before.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

But are Alpine really in line to be a top tier team? Surely Red Bull, Ferrari, McLaren and even Aston Martin ahead of them in the line?

I suppose it does depend on who does what in 2022. Maybe it's good for Alonso to have this year to just adjust back into the life of an F1 driver, all the travelling, training, PR work etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,352 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

But are Alpine really in line to be a top tier team? Surely Red Bull, Ferrari, McLaren and even Aston Martin ahead of them in the line?

I suppose it does depend on who does what in 2022. Maybe it's good for Alonso to have this year to just adjust back into the life of an F1 driver, all the travelling, training, PR work etc.

They could be ahead of ferrari and aston martin.
    Dont see them ahead of mclaren this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,601 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'd say it'll be:

Tier 1 - Mercedes
    Tier 2 - Red Bull & McLaren
    Tier 3 - Alpine & Ferrari & Aston Martin
    Tier 4 - AlphaTauri & Alfa Romeo
    Tier 5 - Haas & Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Any of you big brain fact fanatics know who has the most podiums with different teams of all time and hybrid era?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

AMKC wrote: »
    Renault Group CEO Luca de Meo has said the firm’s newly rebranded Alpine Formula 1 team is committed to the sport for the foreseeable future and is prepared to spend the necessary money to ensure victories. “We’re in Formula 1 for the long run and we’re here to win,” he said. “We will put all required means to be at [our] best competitive level.” The team is hopeful that it will continue from its impressive finish to the 2020 season, in which Daniel Ricciardo (now at McLaren) and Esteban Ocon scored three podiums
    Absolutely meaningless. It's not like he's gonna say "We're gonna spend as little as we can get away with for a couple of years, and then decide whether or not we stay".

As much as I want to see Alonso in a winning car, I don't think it's ever going to happen.

Hijpo wrote: »
    Any of you big brain fact fanatics know who has the most podiums with different teams of all time and hybrid era?

That's a good one. I can't be any of the main podium people like Hamilton or Max as they have only had one team. I know who i think it is
    All time is surely Hamilton. As the number of races goes up the stats skew towards the more recent drivers.

Bottas had podiums with Williams at the beginning of the hybrid era, and has had loads of podiums with Mercedes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,601 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

That's a good one. I can't be any of the main podium people like Hamilton or Max as they have only had one team. I know who i think it is
    All time is surely Hamilton. As the number of races goes up the stats skew towards the more recent drivers.

Bottas had podiums with Williams at the beginning of the hybrid era, and has had loads of podiums with Mercedes.

Hamilton made podiums with two teams McLaren and Mercedes.

Kimi, Vettel, Button and Alonso have all done it with 3 teams during the 21st century.

I dont know if its total number or total number if teams he means.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Hijpo wrote: »

Wow - this is a question!

Off the top of my head...

HAM - Mercedes all the way
    BOT - Merc & Williams
    RIC - Red Bull & Renault
    STR - Williams & Racing Point
    MAX - Red Bull
    GAS - Alpha Tauri/Toro Rosso only
    LEC - Ferrari only
    Checo - Force India and Racing Point are technically two different teams
    VET - Ferrari & Red Bull
    ALO - had a podiums in 2014 with Ferrari
    KVY - Red Bull & Toro Rosso
    Kimi - Ferrari only

pjohnson wrote: »

Kimi, Vettel, Button and Alonso have all done it with 3 teams during the 21st century.

I dont know if its total number or total number if teams he means.

True. I meant he couldn't have the most with different teams in the hybrid era as he has only been with Mercedes in the hybrid era - seems I misunderstood the question.

• Advertisement
    Ms

pjohnson wrote: »
    Kimi, Vettel, Button and Alonso have all done it with 3 teams.

Yes but that was before the Hyprid era. That started in 2014. That is what he is looking for so the poster above is probably right.

I would say Alonso has been with most teams in the hyprid era having been with Ferrari in 2014 then McLaren and now Alpine but not the most podiums. Although Vettel has also been with 3 teams now too on the Hyprid era with Red Bull in 2014 then Ferrari and now Aston Martin.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement