Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

AMKC wrote: »
    Yes but that was before the Hyprid era. That started in 2014. That is what he is looking for so the poster above is probably right.

I would say Alonso has been with most teams in the hyprid era having been with Ferrari in 2014 then McLaren and now Alpine but not the most podiums. Although Vettel has also been with 3 teams now too on the Hyprid era with Red Bull in 2014 then Ferrari and now Aston Martin.

KMag also.
    McLaren-Mercedes (2014) & McLaren-Honda (2015)
    Renault (2016)
    Haas (2017 - 2020)

Has the unique distinction to have used all 4 manufacturers' power units, although he DNS in the Honda.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Pretty sure Mag had already gone to Renault by the time McLaren started using the Honda. It was Button/Alonso first time out.

flazio wrote: »
    Pretty sure Mag had already gone to Renault by the time McLaren started using the Honda. It was Button/Alonso first time out.

He subbed for Alonso at the 2015 Australian Grand Prix. DNS for the race itself, but did FPs & quali.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,226 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

flazio wrote: »

Did DRic ever use the Ferrari engine at TR or had they switched to Renault by then? He might have had three engines then too with Ferrari, Renault and now Mercedes.

Edit. I looked it up and Ric used the Ferrari engine at RT in 2012. So he has now used those three engines too. But not the Honda.

Did DRic ever use the Ferrari engine at TR or had they switched to Renault by then? He might have had three engines then too with Ferrari, Renault and now Mercedes.

Edit. I looked it up and Ric used the Ferrari engine at RT in 2012. So he has now used those three engines too. But not the Honda.

2012 was pre-hybrid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Danial Ricciardo has only used the Renault and now Mercedes hyprid engines. The ferrari engine he used was not the Hyprid engine as it was before the Hyprid engines so it was the Ferrari V8 engine.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,603 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Hamilton has only ever used a Merc engine his entire career. (2007 - 2021)

Stroll has also only used Mercedes engines his whole career for 3 different teams. (All hybrid era)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Kevin Magnussen is the only one to have used all hybrid era engines (Ferrari with Haas, Mercedes with McLaren in 2014, Honda Australia 2015, Renault in 2016)

Ms

Kevin Magnussen is the only one to have used all hybrid era engines (Ferrari with Haas, Mercedes with McLaren in 2014, Honda Australia 2015, Renault in 2016)

I wonder which engine he would say he preferred to use.
    I would go with the Renault one.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

racefansdotnet-jeddah-768x432.jpg

• Advertisement
    Ms

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    racefansdotnet-jeddah-768x432.jpg

That looks like a very boring track unless there is hills on it to or tonight sections like in Baku. 1, 2 , 13, 16 and 27 look like the most interesting parts as the rest will all be fairly straight forward fast corners.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,226 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

AMKC wrote: »
    I wonder which engine he would say he preferred to use.
    I would go with the Renault one.

Vettel has had the same 3 engines too. He was with red bull in 2014. Then Ferrari now a Mercedes powered AM. I suspect he prefers the Mercedes (or maybe the 2019 Ferrari)

Vettel has had the same 3 engines too. He was with red bull in 2014. Then Ferrari now a Mercedes powered AM. I suspect he prefers the Mercedes (or maybe the 2019 Ferrari)

He specifically said he's not going to comment out of respect for both Ferrari & Merc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

In an ode to Silverstone's 'Hangar Straight', the main straight is set to be called 'Beheading Straight'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

In an ode to Silverstone's 'Hangar Straight', the main straight is set to be called 'Beheading Straight'.

And it's a counter clockwise circuit, because they don't want rights in Saudi Arabia

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Here is the video of the new circuit looks absolutely awful this looks to be another Hermann Tilke disaster of a track, where are the overtaking areas looks to be very few https://youtu.be/UCiNvuB56xg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Very honest assessment from Mercedes on testing

That track to me looks a bit boring and needlessly dangerous. Awful lot of easy flat-out kinks with walls nearby.

Ms

Pen Rua wrote: »
    He specifically said he's not going to comment out of respect for both Ferrari & Merc.

Well at least not till he is retired anyway. Would not want to put himself out of a job or chance in the future with another team like Alonso nearly did way back in 2007 with McLaren.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Great video about the last time Merc had a bad preseason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Just one week to go to the first free practice session of the season :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Roll on first race weekend....and Netflix Drive to Survive of course, which is a good recap on the year gone past.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,603 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I didnt expect thread so quiet after DTS was released.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Give us the weekend to watch it first!

pjohnson wrote: »

It went live this AM and people still have a day's work / study to do :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

pjohnson wrote: »

While I enjoyed season 1, season 2 felt like a tabloid and full of talking heads that I have no interest in eg Will Buxton. Episode 1 seems to be continuing in a similar fashion so....ugh.

I have a real love / hate relationship with Will Buxton. I used to love his interviews that he would do when he was on US TV (Paddock Pass, is that what it was called?) but now I find him irritating 90% of the time. The tweets trying to drum up controversy (see the Merc filming day) are particularly irksome.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,352 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I only watched season 1 of drive to survive there the other day - maybe its because its so old now but didnt think much of it.
    Have seen season 2 when it was current and it was pretty good but nothing special.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Pen Rua wrote: »
    I have a real love / hate relationship with Will Buxton. I used to love his interviews that he would do when he was on US TV (Paddock Pass, is that what it was called?) but now I find him irritating 90% of the time. The tweets trying to drum up controversy (see the Merc filming day) are particularly irksome.

Firstly, I like Will. And I loved Paddock Pass as it was raw, without gimmick and he just acted as himself all the time. But with social media, it is all about the number of views and the paid promotion stuff which lots of 'influencers' use to earn a pretty penny. I don't think he needed to do as much but why not maximise your earnings off your existing following. And yes, lots of click bait headlines when it's not actually a big deal!!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement

TBH the movement towards everything being about viewcount and "engagement" has ruined most media. Mainstream sports (soccer/GAA) always had enough idiots shouting to mean that decent journalism was a niche within itself. F1 had a tiny bit of quality control which has been let go. Can see it across sports (and other topics) where you have the old media lose a small proportion of viewers and over-correct to compete with much smaller, "new media" type stuff rather than just hold onto what they still have.
    The Race isn't awful but they're fine with 10 minute mountain out of molehill videos with nonsense a lot of the time as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement