Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

mickdw wrote: »
    I only watched season 1 of drive to survive there the other day - maybe its because its so old now but didnt think much of it.
    Have seen season 2 when it was current and it was pretty good but nothing special.

Its not that old. It is the 2018 season so only 3 years old. A baby still.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I'll watch one a night for the next week I reckon.

I mean, I watched the 2020 season - it wasn't that exciting. So I know that they'll be pushing the ACTION a bit.

I do like seeing the characters "behind the music" style though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,352 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

AMKC wrote: »
    Its not that old. It is the 2018 season so only 3 years old. A baby still.

Ya but when you know how all the stories have panned out, it takes the good out of it - ricciardo announcing he was leaving red bull for renault, etc. Not so exciting this far down the line when he has already finished his spell at renault.
    Similarly, red bull dumping renault engines for honda.
    One thing I did take from it - it would appear renault paid Ricciardo whatever he wanted just to get one over redbull after redbull rubbishing their engine and publically dumping them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭afatbollix

They should of just put Landos last lap in car on with him being talked over the radio would of built the excitement up more than the way they did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgXo0509S28&ab_channel=FORMULA1

It does seem they just put a mic on someone and hope they forget about it and hopefully, they say something interesting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

The more I watch it, the worse it gets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭This is it

About to turn it on, hoping it's not a let down :/ really enjoyed season 1 and thought season 2 was good

• Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Did they edit out the sponsorship on the wing of the Ferrari in this?

afatbollix wrote: »
    They should of just put Landos last lap in car on with him being talked over the radio would of built the excitement up more than the way they did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgXo0509S28&ab_channel=FORMULA1

I know it's pretty much necessary now with the way the cars are but all that coaching and instruction kinda sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I watched 3 episodes yesterday.
    Bit of an unfortunate oversight that in a programme called "Drive to Survive" they completely ignored the project to make ventilators for the NHS.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Watched 6 or 7 episodes of it yesterday. Enjoyed it a lot, on par with the other seasons. I don’t like the fake commentary as exposition, and the way they jump around the season rather than stay more chronological. A few highlights:
    - Cyril getting the hump with Danny Ric after deciding to join McLaren. Didn’t realise they weren’t even on speaking terms.
    - Vettel not giving a **** about the Ferrari PR machine
    - The pressure on Albon and Gasly’s hope of getting promoted back to RB
    - The pressure on Gunther Steiner by Gene Haas to bring in Schumacher & Mazepin for sponsorship money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

Guess anyone that didn't want to see the footage of George Floyd being murdered will be disappointed.... Didnt want to see that sh1t full stop, disgraceful they would just stick something like that into a fecking F1 program with no warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,226 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

guyfo wrote: »
    Guess anyone that didn't want to see the footage of George Floyd being murdered will be disappointed.... Didnt want to see that sh1t full stop, disgraceful they would just stick something like that into a fecking F1 program with no warning.

They usually trigger warnings at the start for people who might be triggered. Bad show if they didn’t have the warning for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,226 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Listening to the latest Missed Apex podcast. They have Matt Carter (former lotus team manager) on this week and he’s always great value and doesn’t encourage the host to do his comedian schtick.

Only 10 mins in but they're talking about how drivers personalise the cars to suit them - steering wheels are interesting and apparently they cost £30,000 each!

https://overcast.fm/+GUSo7BScc

The stuff around financing when Renault was buying Lotus is also very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Watched the episode at the red bull ring and realised I've been playing too much gran turismo as I started calling out all the off track penalties they should've incurred

duploelabs wrote: »
    Watched the episode at the red bull ring and realised I've been playing too much gran turismo as I started calling out all the off track penalties they should've incurred

Guilty as charged. Norris wouldn't have gotten the podium under GT rules.

Completely off topic brag but I just dominated a wet Spa race in a Chevvy. Won by over 36 seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

GT Sport is good, but do any of you play the Forza driving games?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Up to episode 9 now. I can't remember if they used the same format of "storytelling" in the previous two seasons, but the constant jumping back and forth during the f1 season is quite irritating. It may have been better for the flow if they had longer episodes and had bits and pieces of each teams 'dramas' it would have made it a lot more watchable and easier to follow.

The series has also confirmed my long held belief that Christian Horner is indeed a complete and utter twatwaffle. Absolutely no likeable qualities to the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭thefa

As someone who hadn’t followed F1 closely in years, the first two seasons of DTS were very good. Having watched every race of 2020 and knowing the storylines, the first 5 episodes of season 3 aren’t as intriguing and not just because of knowing all the outcomes. The narration from Buxton/journalists can get a bit irritating and the editing can be deceptive but makes it accessible to the causal viewer.

The real value at this stage is adding personality to some characters and I guess some of that gets lost when the likes of Horner and Cyril have been covered so much already. Had never given much thought to Otmar so glad he’s gotten some decent airtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

flazio wrote: »
    Guilty as charged. Norris wouldn't have gotten the podium under GT rules.

Completely off topic brag but I just dominated a wet Spa race in a Chevvy. Won by over 36 seconds

I couldn't bear it, lasted 6 laps in my lancer and found no joy racing it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Interesting to look at the betting odds going into the weekend:

- Verstappen slight favourite to win in Bahrain
    - Hamilton & Merc still favourite for championships
    - McLaren 3rd favourite for constructors, ahead of Ferrari, Aston Martin, Alpine and Alpha Tauri in order

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Glico Man wrote: »
    Up to episode 9 now. I can't remember if they used the same format of "storytelling" in the previous two seasons, but the constant jumping back and forth during the f1 season is quite irritating. It may have been better for the flow if they had longer episodes and had bits and pieces of each teams 'dramas' it would have made it a lot more watchable and easier to follow.

The series has also confirmed my long held belief that Christian Horner is indeed a complete and utter twatwaffle. Absolutely no likeable qualities to the man.

Up to episode 9 now. I can't remember if they used the same format of "storytelling" in the previous two seasons, but the constant jumping back and forth during the f1 season is quite irritating.

I am currently watching season 1 again and yes it was done like that and can be annoying at times.
    I am looking forward to season season 2 after this as I have not seen that one yet and then season 3.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

We're up to Episode 6 of Drive to Survive.

A couple of thoughts...
    - It is as entertaining as prior seasons.
    - It's very interesting to see the behind the scenes of the drives, in particular
    Valterri - even if we see a bit too much of him!
    - The editing can be jarring for a fan who pays attention to F1. For example, they show the
    Austrian / Styrian GP and the Racing Points & Renault fighting
    , then they cut to a clip of
    Cyril in Silverstone (!) saying how much he hates the pink cars
    and back to
    he Red Bull Ring
    . There are also instances where they show us racing, then cut to the pit wall which have totally different track maps behind them.
    - Describing Alain Prost as a special advisor, lol!
    - The choice editing rears its head again with
    the cut to Toto leaving the track, implying he didn't celebrate the win with Bottas
    - Mixed up radio messages again can damped one's enjoyment. They wasted
    Noris' scenario 7 on testing!
    - An entire episode dedicated to testing?! Hm. From what I've read elsewhere, we're not getting an episode on
    Turkey or George's run in the Merc

There are a bunch of other flaws to point out. To an extent, they don't matter (e.g. in the
    Gasly episode, they show Charles' crash, then show the safety car and all of a sudden it's a red flag - no mention to MAG's stoppage
    . Now, that doesn't impact the story or narrative materially. But then you have instances such as
    Cyril and Toto
    mentioned about where they are CLEARLY trying to paint a narrative and bending the reality quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Ep 9 is great. Really did have a lot of feels during that one.

I learned after Season 1 that trying to watch it while knowing they're missing key aspects of races dosen't help you enjoy it. I went into this season with an open mind. In fact, I'd forgotten lots of stuff that happened last year. Some races didn't even feature in DTS which was strange.

I think they just concentrated on the firsts and the main drama for each of the drivers.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Looking at the schedule for next weekend, sadly it doesn't look like Sky are going to throw Bahrain onto Sky One or Sky Sports Mix to entice some subscriptions for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

Watched 9 episodes, and I must say I am pretty disappointed with the overall product. It is worth watching to see some of the characters behind the scenes when their guard is down, to see the interactions, the tensions etc like Cyril/Daniel and so on.

The editing though... Ugh. Much of it is pure cringe. Maybe it is because I follow F1 and watched virtually every minute of the season; I saw The Last Dance, Sunderland Til I Die etc and thought they were excellent, but perhaps a die hard basketball/football fan would have the same problems I have with DTS.

Some of the commentary is so clearly dubbed in later, mentioning in excited voice at Monza "Gasly is making his way to the grid" as if the guys going to the grid at the start of the race is something that is ever discussed, Some of the radio edits, it has the guys streaming down to turn 1 in Bahrain talking about tyres, just to set that angle up for later in the episode.

The Grosjean episode was emotional, but again they totally over did it with the length of time they portrayed him in the car for. It's probably nit picking but it didn't need that, it was grim enough.

I understand they have to jazz it up and make it appealing to non F1 fans, but a lot of the editing I thought was completely disingenuous, to the point where I wouldn't totally trust what the guys are saying behind their masks as it easily could be dubbed.

Will is also insufferable, the way they covered the Sainz to Ferrari story, as if Sainz was going to somehow jepordise his own season at McLaren...

Anyway, thats my thoughts, call it a rant if you will - 6/10, some decent clips and bits and pieces but could have been so much better

I think people were expecting this to be a season review. It's not. There's a separate DVD product for that. It's basically the producers seeking out one particular story, concentrating on it at one track or two and roll credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭This is it

I really enjoyed the time with Bottas and Vettel. Vettel in particular coming across with an "I don't give a f**k anymore" attitude" was great to see. I'm gone at the end of the season, I can say what I want :D

We saw a bit too much of Valteri's Bot-ass :/

Anyway fascinating to hear Horners opinion of Danny Rics move to McLaren. No sign of an "I told you so" and odd that they didn't highlight his move announcement from Red Bull to Renault two years previously.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Agree with a lot of the stuff that's being said about DTS. Possibly driven by the fact I watched every race last season and also consumed all the media around it, the editing was very noticeable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Yeah DTS is to be taken with a very large pinch of salt. Once you do that, it's enjoyable enough fluff. I know people who never watch the races but they really like the show. So I guess it's a thing in itself.

Getting some of the backstage stuff is the who part of it, same reason I watch Ted's notebook, just to see what the paddock looks like when people are done for the weekend, eating, packing up etc.

Watching it in the pre-season is strange though, e.g. we've already got Sainz in a Ferrari but here we are seeing him in a McLaren. It's already out of date when it airs, much like an F1 Playstation game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement