Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

We are not Drive to Survive's target audience. It's made for non F1 fans or people with a passing interest at most.

Netflix's motivation is ratings. F1's motivation is new fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I'm going to start up my Xbox 360S later, put the F1 2011 (the only F1 game I played on console) disc into the drive and do a few laps around the Bahrain circuit.

I would like if there was an F1 game made for PlayStation Virtual Reality, but I think the chances of that happening would be slim to none.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Closest I know of is the VR demo mode in Gran Turismo Sport. You can do VR laps of Spa, Nurburgring, Barcelona, Sao Paulo, Red Bull ring, Suzuka and Fuji (plus a couple of other real life tracks with no F1 connections). The only Formula cars they have however is the 2016 Mercedes-Benz and a 2019 Super Formula (Nippon) car which is useful for getting an idea for driving behind a halo. They also have some concepts from Red Bull and Honda plus a representation of an 80s F1 car which is great fun to drive. In GT VR mode, all you can do however is a two lap race against 1 AI opponent or a free run time trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The week of the 1st 2021 GP, soo many unanswered questions will be answered once we get to FP1, does Red Bull have it over Mercedes at the moment, how will McLaren go, is Ferrari's engine now half decent.....

A season like the one we had in 2012 would be most welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I really liked S3 of Drive to Survive anyway.

Really got to dislike Otmar Szafnauer across the series. The flat out denial of doing anything wrong when it came to the pink Mercedes, come on will ya. You mightn't have broken the regulations, but the pissy way he eventually said "oh they're just kicking themselves for not thinking of it first". If you lead with that line fair enough but not a fan.

And that release Lawrence Stroll did as well straight to the camera saying the same, stinks of a man who has never been told no in his life. Seriously lack of self awareness from both of them.

I hope Aston Martin don't kick on tbh, I'd much rather see Alpine and Ferrari get closer to the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Just been announced that former Lotus F1 driver Johnny Dumfries has passed away.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 23,352 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I really liked S3 of Drive to Survive anyway.

Really got to dislike Otmar Szafnauer across the series. The flat out denial of doing anything wrong when it came to the pink Mercedes, come on will ya. You mightn't have broken the regulations, but the pissy way he eventually said "oh they're just kicking themselves for not thinking of it first". If you lead with that line fair enough but not a fan.

And that release Lawrence Stroll did as well straight to the camera saying the same, stinks of a man who has never been told no in his life. Seriously lack of self awareness from both of them.

I hope Aston Martin don't kick on tbh, I'd much rather see Alpine and Ferrari get closer to the top.
    The whole copying mercedes thing wasnt anywhere near as clear cut as people thought.
    If i remember right they bought the brake duct designs both back and front when it was legal to do so and could have legally run both in that season and seasons after.
    For design reasons they didnt actually put the rear ones on their car the first year they obtained them. In the mean time and at a time after they obtained the duct designs, the rules changed to stop the buying in of brake ducts and only allowed previously run bought in stuff to stay on the car. Therefore the pink mercedes had legal front mercedes ducts on the car and illegal rear mercedes ducts on the car even though all the designs were obtained at the same time.

Pretty shakey ground all round and the fact they were allowed to keep them on the car says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

mickdw wrote: »
    The whole copying mercedes thing wasnt anywhere near as clear cut as people thought.
    If i remember right they bought the brake duct designs both back and front when it was legal to do so and could have legally run both in that season and seasons after.
    For design reasons they didnt actually put the rear ones on their car the first year they obtained them. In the mean time and at a time after they obtained the duct designs, the rules changed to stop the buying in of brake ducts and only allowed previously run bought in stuff to stay on the car. Therefore the pink mercedes had legal front mercedes ducts on the car and illegal rear mercedes ducts on the car even though all the designs were obtained at the same time.

Pretty shakey ground all round and the fact they were allowed to keep them on the car says it all really.

It mightn't have been against the rules, but it also wasn't exactly an innovation like DAS was it

There's probably a ceiling when you operate like that, I wouldn't be surprised if last season was as good as it will get for them

Does anyone think we could see a new winner this year?
    I think Ocon, Norris, Sainz and Stroll could have a chance, but a lot depends on how good their cars are and the front runners having trouble.

• Advertisement

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I think Ocon, Norris and Stroll could have a chance, but a lot depends on how good their cars are and the front runners having trouble.

You know, another chaotic Grand Prix somewhere and Tsunoda could be in Gaslys Italian GP position.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,226 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I think Ocon, Norris and Stroll could have a chance, but a lot depends on how good their cars are and the front runners having trouble.

Sainz could be in with a shout in a topsy turvy race. Gasley and Perez were solidly mid table all last year and they got wins mostly through luck. Anyone apart from the bottom 3 teams could have won those two races (Haas Williams and Alfa would have been overtaken)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Harika

Sainz could be added to the list

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

flazio wrote: »

Always surprised me that the person representing the drivers with regards to safety wasn't exactly the safest driver on the track

duploelabs wrote: »
    Always surprised me that the person representing the drivers with regards to safety wasn't exactly the safest driver on the track
    Another way you could look at is that he really threw himself into the role.
    "Are these cars safe? Hold my beer..."

Alpine-Technik-Details-Formel-1-2021-169Gallery-27433b5f-1778514.jpg

I just love the Alpine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

I finished S3 of Drive to Survive.

Overall probably the weakest season yet.

I get a sense that the teams and drivers are well used to the Netflix cameras being about and as a result are a bit more polished and well versed in terms of what they give away. There wasn't a huge amount of insight to be gained from it then.

I'm sure it was hampered by Covid and travelling restrictions too as they probably didn't get a whole lot of footage, hence the shorter episodes.

Also, you have to remember that large parts of the season were a complete borefest, so they can only make it so exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Finished last night too.

Did Williams annoy the producers in the past to say they got next to no coverage? I would have thought the family selling the team, along with George's run in the Merc, would have been worth covering. I think EVERY other driver was shown besides Russell and Latiffi

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Nee_Loo

Hi folks,
    just wondering is there any fantasy league for boards? They've no Ireland Country League on the site so said I'd check here. I've a casual interest in F1 but think a fantasy helps keep it interesting.
    Le meas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,226 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Top Dog wrote: »
    Finished last night too.

Did Williams annoy the producers in the past to say they got next to no coverage? I would have thought the family selling the team, along with George's run in the Merc, would have been worth covering. I think EVERY other driver was shown besides Russell and Latiffi

The version I heard was that Williams declined to be involved. I imagine is was a pretty bad atmosphere at Williams in the last few months. Malcolm tuckers "you gave me this disease" rant comes to mind.

It's a bit off topic or here but its in this link
    https://www.quotes.net/mquote/930083

• Registered Users Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The version I heard was that Williams declined to be involved. I imagine is was a pretty bad atmosphere at Williams in the last few months. Malcolm tuckers "you gave me this disease" rant comes to mind.

It's a bit off topic or here but its in this link
    https://www.quotes.net/mquote/930083

What did I just click on? No idea what thats all about.
    Really hope Honda are as competitive as they say they will be this season and that there smaller than size zero engine is reliable so they can really trouble Mercedes. Hoping to see McLaren and Alpine going better too and if Ferrari have improved as well then that will be a bonus.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Nee_Loo wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    just wondering is there any fantasy league for boards? They've no Ireland Country League on the site so said I'd check here. I've a casual interest in F1 but think a fantasy helps keep it interesting.
    Le meas

I'm joining this with some friends, other folk welcome to join too.

Hi there!

Joining the league couldn't be easier. Simply use this link and you'll be added automatically after you've entered the game:
    https://fantasy.formula1.com/league/159719?ftm=email

You shouldn't need the league code, but just in case here it is: c323dd04ca

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

eljono wrote: »
    I'm joining this with some friends, other folk welcome to join too.

Hi there!

Joining the league couldn't be easier. Simply use this link and you'll be added automatically after you've entered the game:
    https://fantasy.formula1.com/league/159719?ftm=email

You shouldn't need the league code, but just in case here it is: c323dd04ca

You might have some Boards-ies joining... :D

I tried to do the Fantasy thing when it was first launched, then lost interest...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

The more the merrier :)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Santan

Season 1 was enjoyable, I think a lot got a bit caught out with the cameras, or Netflix were less controlled in editing, season 2 was good with Ferrari and Mercedes involved, added a bit more to the season as a whole. This season was the least enjoyable for me, it felt more like a sky production, all teams and drivers very polished. Seemed like a lot more had to have gone on behind the scenes with drivers getting covid, pink Mercedes issues, big driver moves happening, hulk coming in, new tracks, none of that was covered, but black lives movement was put in, something that had very little to do with f1. If there is a season 4 I will probably watch it, no doubt I will still be in bloody lockdown anyway ha, my wife who is not a big fan of f1 liked it so I think it might be geared a lot more to that type than actual fans, which I can understand.

The Ferrari episode did not paint them in a good light. It kinda justifies their decision not to participate in the first season and I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't participate in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

I liked season 3, you can tell it was hampered by covid situation. It looked like they were only at 3 or 4 tracks.

Would of liked to see them at Istanbul but looks like they were only at Austria, Silverstone, Monza, Bahrain and Abu Dhabi

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Enjoyed DTS so far. Sure, it's over-dramatised but seeing a little bit of the behind the scenes stuff is interesting, even if they do seem to be more aware of the camera's than previous seasons. Glad they went ahead despite the covid situation, but it's funny the way they jump back and forth chronologically due to not being at certain tracks.

Looking forward to the new 2021 season, though my enthusiasm will taken outside, beaten, tortured, and die a very quick death if the Mercs just rock up to the first few races and are in their own category of racing yet again.

Will mostly be following Vettel/Aston Martin (it'll be nice to be cheering for Team Silverstone - Jordan, again) & the McLarens, but will be fully behind Red Bull & Max if they are the only ones to stop the monotony. Would love to see Williams get a couple of points this season too.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that they've all got lovely bottoms, except Mercedes. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭weisses

DTS is a soap ... Im watching it with that in mind

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement