Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭weisses

The Ferrari episode did not paint them in a good light. It kinda justifies their decision not to participate in the first season and I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't participate in future.

What did Ferrari do last season to paint them any differently ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

weisses wrote: »

Not sure what you mean tbh. My point was that Ferrari would have been better off not being featured in the show at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭markc91

Is there a betting thread on here for f1? Hadn't watched in years til last season and would like to do some bets for interest this year so just wondering if anyone bets on it here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

weisses wrote: »

Nothing really and they acted exactly in the way that most people who regularly watch F1 would expect. But there was a bit more dirty laundry last season, the car was muck and the cameras were around to capture and show how they dealt with it all. Seb (very understandably) going rogue on camera and their handling of that didn't really help either. At the end of the day they have their brand to protect and this insight into how things work in their setup didn't do them any favours at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Nothing really and they acted exactly in the way that most people who regularly watch F1 would expect. But there was a bit more dirty laundry last season, the car was muck and the cameras were around to capture and show how they dealt with it all. Seb (very understandably) going rogue on camera and their handling of that didn't really help either. At the end of the day they have their brand to protect and this insight into how things work in their setup didn't do them any favours at all.

Another thing that stood out to me was how Netflix highlighted how they regurgitate the same bull**** PR prepared answers to the press, culminating in Binotto doing exactly that in their interview.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

People have started to pull clips out and show how they've cut audio from one race and footage from another to create fake drama.

Two examples I've see is Norris complaining about Sainz turning in on him, but the audio is actually from a different race where a Racing Point turns in. Another is Verstappen giving out about hard tyres and the clip shows red tyres.

Anyway, it all kicks off today!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Joeface

Only watched season one of this in full and maybe 2 eps of season 2 , bit like a reality shows to me . The first season is new and interesting but after there that they try to create stories that aren't really there for added drama instead of just telling the story .

also I am a terrible person for them to target with ads for this , I mean I didn't read or follow any of the F1 since the last race last season ...Total blank on it cause it just empty stories till the lights go out , Just turned up at the test session as a catch up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

It’s nice seeing Vettel having a laugh with Aston Martin and enjoying himself a bit more.

I really hope he gets back to competing on the track. I know Drive to Survive is criticized for dramatization and editing but that scene with Ferrari telling him to stop joking and enjoying himself seemed to paint a picture to me.

I’d say he’s happy to get away from it and hopefully allowed to have fun with it again.

Let’s be real. Won’t be competing for a championship but would love to see him regularly in the points.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Also for all the shows criticism it’s pushed a large amount of my friends back into the sport which is great for me!

Living abroad and we regularly do Skype calls. This week the big factor was working it around the qualifying session which I loved!

So for me the fact it’s bringing more people into the sport is a huge bonus.

Hopefully this season becomes more competitive and then next season even more with the changes. That will keep them involved. The show allows people to make emotional connections to the drivers more which increases their interest it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 MrSeanWick

They do create it so that it can bring in new fans to the sport and that has worked. The way its filmed and the audio is very good. I've watched the three seasons with headphones on and loved it. They have made it as entertaining as they can and feck it, its hyped me up even more for this season.

On a separate note. Why is Leclerc so underrated. Easily the best on the grid who gets results out of a car that he shouldn't be able to. I'm an Renault fan by the way or Alpine now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I'm prob one of DTS' main target audience - was super into F1, then lost interest and now keep a passing interest but don't watch many live races. Did catch some of the best races last year (not sure what spurred me into watching them) live. Figured that there wouldn't be enough time to showcase everything that could have been shown in S3 - explaining DAS in more depth, more about the Ferrari engine issue, drivers getting Covid, wheels exploding at the end of British GP, Norris' run of Scenario 7 finishes - but I still enjoyed. Agree that more could have been done with Williams, especially with Russell in the Merc and Claire stepping away.

Vettel's shenanigans were amusing - joking around and the timing of his news to stick it to Ferrari (most likely). Midfield battle was entertaining, which is a shame in a way because F1 paints itself as a pinnacle and that the World Championship is the one to win, but that is done and dusted (or looking like it) pretty early. Hopefully Red Bull (and others) are closer this year.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 11,693 ✭✭✭✭klose

MrSeanWick wrote: »
    They do create it so that it can bring in new fans to the sport and that has worked. The way its filmed and the audio is very good. I've watched the three seasons with headphones on and loved it. They have made it as entertaining as they can and feck it, its hyped me up even more for this season.

On a separate note. Why is Leclerc so underrated. Easily the best on the grid who gets results out of a car that he shouldn't be able to. I'm an Renault fan by the way or Alpine now.

Seems anything I read online leclerc is very highly thought of and rated most seem to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭quokula

I think DTS is excellent. It's far more entertaining than actually watching the sport itself has been for nearly a decade. There's lots of moments where teams let their guard down. Obviously there was the absolute cluster**** of incompetence that is Ferrari's management. There was the dysfunctional relationships at Haas and absolutely no sugar coating of the fact that they are hiring drivers for the sponsorship money alone. And they weren't afraid to give Toto a hard time, broadcasting the bit where he tries to use swear words to shut down any inquiry into Bottas being a clear number 2 getting into the show, and immediately follow it up by including the bit where he loudly announces "netflix are filming so don't say anything" before the team meeting, the producers obviously know when the teams are trying to portray a false narrative and did their best not to let them off with it. They were also pretty even handed about giving all sides of the story on the pink Mercedes, the dynamic with Ricciardo and Abiteboul, Albon's woes, etc.

Honestly they found so many good stories up and down the grid that it really showed up how utterly awful Sky's coverage is as they rarely give anyone outside of the podium descent coverage. Sure, they occasionally mismatched pictures and commentary and pitlane reactions for dramatic effect, but it helped the pacing and the flow of the program, and it never seemed dishonest as it was just underlining and enhancing the portrayal of what really happened.

The only downside, as has been mentioned, was the lack of coverage of Williams, of Russell's Mercedes drive, of Hulkenberg's appearance at short notice, but obviously with covid they seemed to be at a limited number of races and could only cover so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Folks, are there any other options for watching the races live in Ireland apart from getting the Sky Sports package on NowTV? I don't watch much other sports, so it irks me to have to pay full whack just for the races.

LcClerc's looked good since his F2 days (or was it GP2 then?). Whether he can bounce back after a few years of mediocre **** with Ferrari remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 MrSeanWick

klose wrote: »
    Seems anything I read online leclerc is very highly thought of and rated most seem to think.

Maybe just whats popping up on my feeds is Verstappen and Hamilton obviously. Obviously if its SkySport they just talk about Hamilton and Russell. Maybe I need to follow more pages

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Don't want to jump the gun here, but this season is going to be insanely good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭This is it

Sheeps wrote: »

Certainly looking much better than last season. I want LeClerc to win but anyone but Lewis will do :D

A Seb and Danny Ric win would be a huge bonus too

• Registered Users Posts: 18,242 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Sheeps wrote: »

Not getting my hopes up. Still expect Mercedes to come out on top and after 3 or 4 races for them to have ironed out their issues and win handy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

eljono wrote: »
    Folks, are there any other options for watching the races live in Ireland apart from getting the Sky Sports package on NowTV? I don't watch much other sports, so it irks me to have to pay full whack just for the races.

Legally, No. Sky bought out Eirs rights for exclusivity, so it's them on a Sky box or Now TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

I can get over most issues with DTS. My main gripe is dubbing in the sound of footsteps whenever anyone is walking around on screen.
    The driver's who would be wearing race boots sound like they are wearing dress shoes!
    Once you hear it you can't unhear it!

The C4 team have brought back their podcast. Word of warning, if Steve Jones annoys you, you really won't like it.
    https://linktr.ee/OnTheMarbles

• Registered Users Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

flazio wrote: »
    Legally, No. Sky bought out Eirs rights for exclusivity, so it's them on a Sky box or Now TV.
    Found this on Boards the other day and didn't realise that it could be an option for F1: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=116037617

Sure have a look to see if it suits your situation.

I spotted this thread the other day and discussion has been allowed if the poster wants to venture over to peruse!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭barryribs

How is commentator and professional Lewis Hamilton fan, David "Crofty" Croft still employed? The guy makes Jonathan Legard look good

Drinking challenge, take a shot whenever "Sir" is used

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

I spotted this thread the other day and discussion has been allowed if the poster wants to venture over to peruse!

Thank you, I will give that a shot tonight. Hopefully it'll work with ChromeCast

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭racersedge

barryribs wrote: »
    How is commentator and professional Lewis Hamilton fan, David "Crofty" Croft still employed? The guy makes Jonathan Legard look good

As cliched and irritating that Croft can be... nobody, nobody can make Legard look good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Joeface

Who was the Broadcaster in Crofts seat for FP1 , I should know her name . She was far more comfortable to listen to . Really just asked a few questions of Button. Didn't mix anything up . it was a much easier watch with that dialog in the back ground .

I always get the feeling when the team Principals have to talk to Croft you can hear the sigh in their voice as they take the call "ugh this guy when will it end" . Sucks the life out of the room. I am sure he is a nice guy but him and Teds stuff , yeah I have muted whole sessions

• Registered Users Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Joeface wrote: »
    Who was the Broadcaster in Crofts seat for FP1 , I should know her name . She was far more comfortable to listen to . Really just asked a few questions of Button. Didn't mix anything up . it was a much easier watch with that dialog in the back ground .

I always get the feeling when the team Principals have to talk to Croft you can hear the sigh in their voice as they take the call "ugh this guy when will it end" . Sucks the life out of the room. I am sure he is a nice guy but him and Teds stuff , yeah I have muted whole sessions

Natalie Pinkham was in for FP1 with Karun and Button

• Advertisement

I’ve never watched F2, are those wheels with the low profiles what they’ll be running on F1 cars next year?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement