Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

I’ve never watched F2, are those wheels with the low profiles what they’ll be running on F1 cars next year?

Yes F2 runs 18 inch wheels since last year, F1 will have them from next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,242 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

eljono wrote: »
    Thank you, I will give that a shot tonight. Hopefully it'll work with ChromeCast

Commentary is only in Turkish so not great from that perspective. I got Chromecast working etc but couldn't find any way to change the commentary from Turkish. In the premier league games on that app there's an option to choose English or Turkish commentary but that option isn't there for F1.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

He could always mute the sound and provide his own commentary ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    He could always mute the sound and provide his own commentary ;)

Tsunoda looks like a small child in the the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Santan

flazio wrote: »
    Drinking challenge, take a shot whenever "Sir" is used

Forgot about that, that's going to be very irritating to listen to

• Advertisement

HAM BOT looking a bit ominous now.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭barryribs

racersedge wrote: »
    As cliched and irritating that Croft can be... nobody, nobody can make Legard look good!

You're right, I was very emotional earlier. I watched some clips of Legard there and it's brought me back down to earth. Crofts performance in fp2 yesterday was sickening. "This is going to be the best season ever"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭This is it

Are Mercedes just doing a "Hamilton" where they overcome huge adversity to come out on top...

Maybe I'm too cynical to believe they're struggling and there's an actual chance of a battle for the championship :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

namloc1980 wrote: »
    HAM BOT looking a bit ominous now.

Max just popped in a lap 700 tenths quicker.

Let's see how Merc reply to that.

The impression I'm getting is that Verstappen might be a bit closer to spoil Merc's 1-2 qualifying usual but it's still gonna be fairly comfortable over the season for Mercedes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Lads Honda said they are quitting a year out.

That means they will have the engine this year and win the championship before paying for red bulls development for the next few years as an apology and not one bit of Honda on the car.

Clever marketing bods in Honda....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Well, I'm hedging my bets - took out Aston Martin & Set & Lance from my Fantasy Teams. :nervous:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Ricciardo surprisingly off the pace, as well as the Alpines. Alpha Tauri and Ferrari will fancy Q3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭lolie

Hijpo wrote: »
    Tsunoda looks like a small child in the the garage.

He looks like a kid that should be accompanied by his parents in the garage. The Apha Tauri looks well hooked up and he was fairly racey in F2 so we could have another Kobayashi which cant be a bad thing.

Ricciardo surprisingly off the pace, as well as the Alpines. Alpha Tauri and Ferrari will fancy Q3.

Aston are gonna regret dumping Perez for Vettel this year. Suprised Ricciardo hasn't got to grips with the Mclaren a bit quicker and yeah the Alpine doesn't look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,352 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

afatbollix wrote: »
    Lads Honda said they are quitting a year out.

That means they will have the engine this year and win the championship before paying for red bulls development for the next few years as an apology and not one bit of Honda on the car.

Clever marketing bods in Honda....

If history of honda exiting f1 is anything to go by,
    They will struggle this year perhaps with reliability, walk away and hand redbull an engine that will win the championship next year without any honda branding or recognition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

WTF... Ads on sly F1 during qually. It's now a new low. Sky have destroyed F1. It's just like the low that was F1 on channel 4 and even worse, ITV.
    Fukc Ruppert Murdoch.

WTF... Ads on sly F1 during qually. It's now a new low. Sky have destroyed F1. It's just like the low that was F1 on channel 4 and even worse, ITV.
    Fukc Ruppert Murdoch.

Yeah ridiculous to have ads. Sky reaching new lows.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,693 ✭✭✭✭klose

Max Ham Bot front 3 but verstappen was 3/10s quicker than Hamilton, perez getting knocked out in Q2 and vettel in Q3 probably the big talking points, seems vettel had to slow for yellow flags for mazepin spinning out so couldn't get a proper lap.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Bit harsh on ITV and C4 there. They don't get licence fee money so have to seek sponsorship to pay their broadcast crew.

Apparently, Sky's excuse is they need to make up a shortfall owing from the shorter FP sessions on Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭barryribs

flazio wrote: »
    Bit harsh on ITV and C4 there. They don't get licence fee money so have to seek sponsorship to pay their broadcast crew.

Apparently, Sky's excuse is they need to make up a shortfall owing from the shorter FP sessions on Friday.

ITV was ridiculous, I think it was every 7-9 laps there was an ad break.

Not a sky issue, but whoever decided that we should be looking at Gasly's times and not Verstappen's on the final run of Q3 should be taken out and shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Mazepin off to a good start to fulfill my pre season prediction that he will be the villain of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

As a long term F1 fan, it was great to see Ferrari kinda in the mix of things again. F1 needs that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Lads you do know there is a thread each weekend for the race that weekend. Half these posts should be in the Bahrain Thread. Where are the moderators?
    I am delighted Sky have adds on during the Quali now. Wait till they do it during a race. It was inevitable. That's what Sky do and why they never should have had exclusive rights to it. I hope there is uproar over it and either C4 or the BBC get Formula one back. I know I am dreaming with the latter but who knows.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Registered Users Posts: 20,226 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Irishjg wrote: »
    Yes, I’m expecting Mazepin to be the new Maldonado of the people. He he.

Haas probably has a big budget for crashes and repairs from the Grosjean years and it’s not going to spend itself.

I always thought they Steiner went too hard on Gorsjean in Drive to Survive. He publicly humiliated him in front of the whole team on numerous occasions. And publicly bitched about how whit he was and how much he crashed. Grosjean wasn’t enjoying the jokes and was clearly embarrassed. Didn’t seem like the best way to get the most out of him.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Ah yes driver speculation and its only the first session in the first qualifying session of the year

Ah but it was only an opinion based on Vettels form over the last few years and the few days of testing where he he said he was struggling to find a good rhythm with the Aston.
    They've clearly lost more downforce than most with their Mercedes like low rake setup so could do with Perezs knowledge of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭quokula

Haas probably has a big budget for crashes and repairs from the Grosjean years and it’s not going to spend itself.

I always thought they Steiner went too hard on Gorsjean in Drive to Survive. He publicly humiliated him in front of the whole team on numerous occasions. And publicly bitched about how whit he was and how much he crashed. Grosjean wasn’t enjoying the jokes and was clearly embarrassed. Didn’t seem like the best way to get the most out of him.

I agree, while Steiner made for entertaining tv, it did seem like something of a toxic work environment. The car is clearly a handful, the new drivers are struggling, and they’ve gone backwards when you’d expect them to have moved forward a little with the new Ferrari power unit. I do think Grosjean and Magnussen were both very underrated and it was just impossible to show their skills in that car.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

quokula wrote: »
    I agree, while Steiner made for entertaining tv, it did seem like something of a toxic work environment. The car is clearly a handful, the new drivers are struggling, and they’ve gone backwards when you’d expect them to have moved forward a little with the new Ferrari power unit. I do think Grosjean and Magnussen were both very underrated and it was just impossible to show their skills in that car.
    They are never going to move forward if there aerodynamics are still crap.
    William's are even better than Haas now.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,226 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

quokula wrote: »

They have explicitly said they haven’t don’t much work for this year’s car and aren’t going to upgrade the car. It’s all about 2022 for them. They might be slower than the Williams this year.

They have had problems with the chassis and they don’t understand what they are. Half way through 2019 they reverted to the Melbourne spec to see if it was faster than the improvements they brought so they could isolate the problem. They never found the problem as far as I know, so they just sacked it off and focused on next year instead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement