Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭barryribs

flazio wrote: »
    Not that I think Gasly or Albon are bad drivers but I think Red Bull is the wrong team for them.
    Such is the nature of Alpha Tauri's existence as Red Bulls development team that Gasly will have to move on eventually I hope it would be to somewhere like a resurgent Williams or McLaren.
    Agree 100% on this. Gasly looks fantastic in that Alpha Tauri, he's been consistent on Sundays and great pace on Saturdays.

On Perez, it's a no brainer. If the gap between Red Bull and Mercedes is similar next year, I'd fancy him to beat Russell too when he inevitably joins Mercedes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

The AT car isn't a bad car, so the idea would be for Gasly to stay and improve himself and the car/team. But there is the question of the new regs next year. I think he and the team would be very unlucky if it did change the other way for them!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,229 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The AT car isn't a bad car, so the idea would be for Gasly to stay and improve himself and the car/team. But there is the question of the new regs next year. I think he and the team would be very unlucky if it did change the other way for them!

Yeah the Honda engine is a bonus to the AT car too. The fact that Tsunoda hasn't been a success (yet anyway) has knock on effects. It means that Perez is very safe at RB as they have no option to promote Tsunoda as he hasn't shown any inclination to be good enough. And it means they still need a good driver in Gasley to bring in the points.

RB has said Gasley has no long term future at their team, so he's essentially not a RB Driver anymore even though he's still at the red bull junior team. They don't want him long term.but they will surely keep him for next year. There are few other options. Bottas will come on the market soon but he's probably expensive compared to Gasley.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,457 ✭✭✭This is it

Anyone getting funny notifications from the F1 app? Just got something like "you should check your security" in a push notification.

This is it wrote: »
    Anyone getting funny notifications from the F1 app? Just got something like "you should check your security" in a push notification.

Bunch of people on Formula Dank getting notifications just saying "foo" I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Yep. I wish they took the opportunity to take the piss out of the Da'esh Gold GP, but I guess they didn't want to wake up to a hit squad with bonesaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Yeah, I reckon there's been a hack. I've uninstalled the app until I hear an all clear from official sources. I got the two push notifications despite the fact I turned off notifications for the F1 app.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Bunch of people on Formula Dank getting notifications just saying "foo" I think.

Yeah I got that earlier…. It’s odd and I’ve deleted the app just in case

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Yeah I got that earlier…. It’s odd and I’ve deleted the app just in case

Is that an app that requires an account and login?
    Not to scare monger but I would be changing my passwords on other accounts if I was using the same credentials on other accounts/apps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Hijpo wrote: »
    Is that an app that requires an account and login?
    Not to scare monger but I would be changing my passwords on other accounts if I was using the same credentials on other accounts/apps

No it’s just the F1 app, no login required or anything. You can create an account and sign up for all sorts if you like but I use it as a news app only which doesn’t require a login

• Advertisement

I subscribe to the f1 app for the live timing but haven't gotten any notifications. Maybe the f1 app is separate from the live timing app.

Does anyone think there's a possibility that mclaren will drop Ric for next year? I don't think anyone believes he's actually that much slower than Norris, but he's really struggling this year. Bottas will be on the market next year and he might be looking for a Mclaren drive.

If mclaren have any performance clauses in Rics contract, then I'm pretty sure he's not meeting them, so there might be a brake clause in the contract

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

With the new cars coming next year, I think Ric will stay on. It’s clear there’s an issue with this current car and Ricciardo — he hasn’t lost his talent. Still, he’ll need to close the gap to Norris this year, if even for his own confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,213 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Yeah it is odd that he can't seem to get to grips with the car, I think they will give him next year as well to be honest, I don't think he's suddenly lost the ability to drive.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Yeah it is odd that he can't seem to get to grips with the car, I think they will give him next year as well to be honest, I don't think he's suddenly lost the ability to drive.

Yeah I don't think anyone suggests he's lost his ability to drive but if he's getting results like he is currently getting and Lando can get the results he's currently getting, then they're wasting huge potential (and wages) on Ric. He just doesn't seem to be able to get the pace from that car. He was 3 hundredths od a second from going out in q1 yesterday.

Ric has been a great driver but that knowledge is of little use to mclaren if he can't drive their car. But with the regulations changes next year they'll surely give him another year. Whatever makes it hard for him to drive might not be in next year's car.

Must be a big knock to Ric to go from being regarded amongst the top drivers, to being unable to get the pace from the Mclaren and being hammered by Norris.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I wouldn't fancy Bottas to do any better than Ricciardo tbh - that would be a step backwards. They'll give him another year I reckon.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I wouldn't fancy Bottas to do any better than Ricciardo tbh - that would be a step backwards. They'll give him another year I reckon.

Not if they're both firing on all cylinders, but Ric is definitely not firing on all cylinders in the mclaren. If bottas was getting his best out of the car, it would almost certainly be better than how much ric is getting out of it - even though ric surely has more potential in general than Bottas. Plus bottas is cheaper than Ric. But I suppose Bottas is coming on the market this year and Ric isn't likely to be fired this year, so it doesn't really matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭quokula

Not if they're both firing on all cylinders, but Ric is definitely not firing on all cylinders in the mclaren. If bottas was getting his best out of the car, it would almost certainly be better than how much ric is getting out of it - even though ric surely has more potential in general than Bottas. Plus bottas is cheaper than Ric. But I suppose Bottas is coming on the market this year and Ric isn't likely to be fired this year, so it doesn't really matter.

If McLaren want to replace Ricciardo they’d surely want someone of his calibre, very hard to imagine them wanting someone like Bottas who would most likely do worse.

The only driver I can think of right now who’s potentially a free agent and would fit the bill is Gasly, or otherwise they could take a punt on a younger driver with potential like Schumacher.

Do McLaren still have a young driver programme? It's where we got Hamilton and Button from.

Do McLaren still have a young driver programme? It's where we got Hamilton and Button from.

Norris is a mclaren young driver.
    I thought Button was a pay driver. Didn't he make his debut with BAR ? Or was it Williams?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Norris is a mclaren young driver.
    I thought Button was a pay driver. Didn't he make his debut with BAR ? Or was it Williams?

Button made his debut with Williams in 2000.

Oh yeah, my bad. Question remains though. Are McLaren involved in bringing any young talent up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Yes, Hamilton was signed up from about the age of 8!

Lando was also part of it.

They have long had a driver program.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,624 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Button did test for McLaren (and Prost) in 1999 before joining Williams iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Oh yeah, my bad. Question remains though. Are McLaren involved in bringing any young talent up?

As of now they have only 1 driver active in their programme, a young American lad still in karting

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/team/young-driver-programme/

Seems they have a few drivers in the programme at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

ocon having a bad run of races. this week was a disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/team/young-driver-programme/

Seems they have a few drivers in the programme at the moment.

Their website isn't quite up to date, Sergio Sette Camara left the programme last season to rejoin Red Bull as a development driver and De Vries is a Mercedes development driver and in the Merc formula e works team

ocon having a bad run of races. this week was a disaster
    He had a right stinker of a weekend. Considering he just signed a new contract with Alpine recently, you'd expect him to perform beter.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if the British Grand Prix will be live on C4 this year?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement