Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coppicing garden hedge

Options
  • 13-12-2020 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Have a beech hedge around the house planted last February and strengthened well over the summer. I’m just looking at thickening the hedge for the coming year, do I prune back individual branches or coppice the whole thing down to 6 inches? Also what time of year is best to do this?

Comments

Don't do the coppicing, its a bit harsh, no need. Cut back any strong, little branched shoots, at least by half, leave the ones with lots of side branches. You can do it now, or anytime till March.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Depending on your levels of patience, an the length of the hedge- just clipping as many of the branch tips with a scissors as you can is actually worth it- each tip will produce two shoots when nipped. I'm only suggesting doing it once, looser trimming with a shears in subsequent years is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Google "Laying a hedge"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Google "Laying a hedge"

This is far from a suitable laying situation. It's a young hedge,

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    This is far from a suitable laying situation. It's a young hedge,
    I'm not saying he should lay it this year, or next, but when it has grown enough. There is enough information on line to tell him when and how to do it. I'm just making him aware of the technique.

• Advertisement
Advertisement