Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Age related tax relief for pension 30+

• 13-12-2020 11:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭

When a person reaches their 30th year, the tax relief for pension contributions increases.

Does a person have to wait until they actually reach 30 (ie June), or does the relief become available at the beginning of the year, of which they turn 30 (ie January).

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

My understanding was it was the year of your 30th birthday, hence the January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Amirani wrote: »
    My understanding was it was the year of your 30th birthday, hence the January.

+1 there's nothing in the Revenue Pensions Manual which says that the higher limit only applies from your birthday so I would take it that it applies for the entire calendar year in which you reach one of the threshold ages.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/pensions/chapter-03.pdf

Advertisement